Rams starters that are guaranteed to lose their jobs by season's end

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
Something to keep in mind.

After the Cowboys game we are facing a Murders row of 6 games vs top or potent defenses.

Seattle
Jags
Cardinals
Giants
Texans
Vikings

Some knarly pass rushes coming up for Brown and Hig's to deal with.

Will they hold up or be weak links.

Will Tavon take a few to the house or continue to disappear.

What happens be these top defenses may determine how we value these players.

If there is anyone even left on the board to care at that point:eek:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tavon isn't a starter. Kupp already has the job. I think there's no chance that a healthy Brown gets benched for Donnal. Donnal doesn't have the sand in his pants to start in Kromer's scheme. I also disagree with your assessment on his play last year. I was very unimpressed by him at OG. I agree that Everett replaces Higbee. He's been very disappointing. Longacre replacing Barwin is possible, but I think Barwin keeps the job because of his experience. I agree with @RAMpage28 that I think Ebukam replaces Barwin after the season.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Something to keep in mind.

After the Cowboys game we are facing a Murders row of 6 games vs top or potent defenses.

Seattle
Jags
Cardinals
Giants
Texans
Vikings

Some knarly pass rushes coming up for Brown and Hig's to deal with.

Will they hold up or be weak links.

Will Tavon take a few to the house or continue to disappear.

What happens be these top defenses may determine how we value these players.

If there is anyone even left on the board to care at that point:eek:

The good news is that none of those teams (outside of the Vikings) have shown any ability to play offense this year.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Agree on Tavon definitely. My faith slipped away like that punt slipped through his hands on Thursday night.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

227364_7bd6eec02cdf48ccada5b30e0db37480~mv2_d_3000_2166_s_2.webp

We are through three Rams games and plenty to take away from them, but how many of you find yourselves thinking that certain players shouldn't be starting? Take a look at my list I made to organize who I believe is a starter now, but will not be at the end of the year.

WR Tavon Austin

227364_b83ebd1bc74b41f0a285492afb734c30~mv2_d_3355_2237_s_2.webp

It's sad, but I officially have given up my hope for Tavon Austin. Yes, I fell for it, I fell for him and I backed him up constantly. Now, the fact of the matter is Austin will never be anything more than a gadget player. Right now he is the starting slot receiver, that shouldn't even be the case anymore. There is no reason why a player like Cooper Kupp should only be on the field for 60 percent of snaps. There should be no time sharing and the Rams should stop trying to get Austin involved. Three games into this season the Rams have 107 points and none of them have come from Austin. I liked Austin, but it's time to realize he is a liability as he is playing over young weapons like Kupp, Josh Reynolds and Pharoh Cooper who seriously need to start getting their reps.

Replacement: Cooper Kupp

TE Tyler Higbee

227364_582e49ea9cfa49629e0026bdf54ae083~mv2.webp

Unfortunately, Tyler Higbee, the Rams starting tight end and a former fourth-round pick still looks behind. The Rams might even have two tight ends that are ahead of him on the roster and that's not even including the injured reserved Temarrick Hemingway. Higbee continues to struggle with his drops that plagued him during training camp. Higbee is rated one of the lowest tight ends in the game according to Pro Football Focus picking up where he left off last season. Granted, Higbee is still young and only into the beginning of his second season with actual coaching, the Rams should be and will be starting Gerald Everett sooner than later. On top of that if Higbee is starting because of his blocking which isn't great by any means, then Derek Carrier might be the best option to start moving forward. We didn't think of it at the time, but Higbee's drop near the goal line could have been one of the plays that ultimately left points on the board and resulted in a loss. Luckily for him, the Rams came out of the game dodging disaster.

Replacement: Gerald Everett

RG Jamon Brown

227364_0c0277cdb71341adb5439f0d4b2d848f~mv2.webp

The former 2015 third-round pick Jamon Brown is just not taking that next step. Yes, the Rams offense looks awesome thus far, but that doesn't mean there aren't some issues on the offensive line. Brown has looked outmatched most of the time this season and it's sad when you can say the best thing about Brown being at guard is that the Rams moved him from the tackle position. He is in no way built for a tackle and he has struggled mightily at guard. So who will replace him? The man coming back from an injury that looked like the best offensive lineman in relief last season.

Replacement: Andrew Donnal

OLB Connor Barwin

227364_ca09a563e9e04a7d97ce7023d122fcfc~mv2.webp

Connor Barwin started off his season being voted as a team captain, but he has since shown that he is past his prime, he's slow and isn't a starting caliber looking player at this point in his career anymore. I like Barwin however, the problem is he is arguably the only one in the starting lineup besides injured Kayvon Webster that has played in a 3-4. Barwin had a comeback game this week, but he still had some issues and he and Robert Quinn have had a seriously difficult time containing the edge. On the Brian Hoyer scramble touchdown in the red zone if you go back and watch the film Barwin practically gave him the touchdown by using his inside spin move that left himself with his back turned as he had to twist his body and accelerate after Hoyer. Barwin completely took himself (the only person in a position to make the play) out of the play. Barwin is a good player to have and he has that familiarity with Wade, but he is in no way shape or form a strength for this Rams team outside of his experience and leadership. With both him and Quinn struggling I think Matt Longacre's time could be coming as he is after all the top outside backer on the Rams according to Pro Football Focus.

Replacement: Matt Longacre

Who are your replacements? Let us know below!
I'm not too sure I want to make any assumptions about Players just 3 weeks into the season! They have just "Knocked-the-rust-off" and are adjusting to New schemes! I'll wait until Mid season, and we can revisit this subject, If you wish to!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This topic has been on my mind at times, particularly when thinking about the long term.

Austin, Quinn, Tru, Barron... all of these guys are consuming considerable cap space with the following contracts on the radar;

Donald, Watkins, Ogletree, Joyner

It's too early to suggest how this goes, but you can see where it could go.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Rams Org. is constantly mixing the bottom end of this MR, so I am sure that when this season is over the extra large mixing tools will come out on the top end of this roster too. One of them being the salary cap tool in order to put under contract the players McVay & Wade desire for the future.

Donald, Watkins & Ogletree are sure top 3. @jakebogen95 is busy looking into the future & that's always a good thing & when he brings up TA there is no doubts that this will be his last season as a Ram. A cut of TA early in 2018 will provide approx $3 million back into the Cap. Rams will have a boat load of bona fide true receivers in 2018 under contract. Higbee will remain under contract in 2018.

jakebogen95 mentions both veteran Lb'ers Conner Barwin & Rob Quinn & I am of the opinion that RQ who will be on top of the Salary cap to earn $12.4 mil will be gone. The way RQ has been playing in the first 3 games its a wonder he is still starting. Demoff can save an easy near $11.5 million alone if this weak link is cut early in 2018. I could not make any sound argument @ this point on why we would want to keep RQ. I would sure like to hear from a member who see's it differently.

CB will be a UFA in March 2018 & there is no reason to bring him back to start. Young economy value priced OLB'ers like Longacre, Price, Thompson & Ebukam are a very good four to start 2018 with & any new LB rookies they will add. It would not surprise me that we see more Ebukam playing more for CB & Longacre playing ahead of RQ very soon.

The future RG situation with Jamon Brown has several elements that might effect him. The play of Rob Havenstein @ RT first off. If RH can slowly improve his play gm by gm Kromer may forget about his desires to move Rob inside where JB is now. Another element is when Andrew Donnal gets healthy. Many seem to forget that AD is not unknown & was known enough to keep JB on the bench in the late half of 2016 when AD was the starting RG. AD has the talent to start @ RT thus letting RH move into JB post as Kromer wanted.JB will remain under contract in 2018.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I don't get the Donnal love.
Just not near enough game tape to make any kind of real qualified assessment of his abilities.

Barwin just doesn't have the foot speed to play outside linebacker in a 3-4 any longer.

Higbee is catching on slowly and it's a two tight-end offense anyway so I'm not sure if it's much of an issue.

I never had much hope for Tavon anyway so no surprise to me.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Ogletree really needs to learn his assignments in this new defense.
Our inside linebackers have looked bad in the middle of the field at times.

I hope Wade Phillips is going over there assignments as we speak and he has them sleeping with a defensive playbook under their pillow.

Last edited:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Ogletree really needs to learn his assignments in this new offense.

I hope Wade Phillips is going over there assignments as we speak and he has them sleeping with a defensive playbook under their pillow.

Ogletree plays defense lol

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Tavon and Quinn are as good as gone.

While being paid like top players at their positons.......one will never become a top player at his position.......while the other is no longer anywhere near a top player at his position.

The less expensive youngsters I expect to see stick around until the class members of Snead/McVays next draft class assert themselves.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ogletree really needs to learn his assignments in this new defense.

I am & still a big Tree fan. I have not never seen as much inconsistent play come from Alec Ogletree before.I would really be be concerned but fact is this "D" has not played together much...period. Many Ram starters are UNDER-PERFORMING!:confused:

I'll start with the vets like Rob Quinn, Mark Barron, Trumaine Johnson , Aaron Donald & Conner Barwin. Then young vets like Mo Alexander, & NRC. That's 7 besides Tree who would make 8 starters!

Wade has yet to make any modifications to remedy this critical problem. A few of these are easy the others NOT so easy. I would move on Quinn this week & see what happens. I would insert Longacre as starter & Ebukam in Longacre relief spot. Then see what happens on that side. time to see what Ejuan price can do too.

In the DL I would suggest getting Tanzel Smart more time @ NT & insert Brockers @ both DE posts like he did Thursday night. Micheal Brockers was dominant against the 9ers & I want to see much more of that! Can you imagine what a Aaron Donald & Micheal Brockers can do @ both DE posts. This rookie Smart is a baller. Most have no ideal just how good he is going to be.

Snead has done a good job since his arrival here with his DL additions with Brockers, Donald, Westbrooks, Fox, Smart & even PS nose tackle Omarius Bryant. :bow:

Last edited:

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
@BonifayRam Wade made some adjustments to seal the edge after half time against Washington. Did a good job against SF as well.

See what u can get in a trade offer for either Quinn, Austin, and Barron. Reduce salaries if their play holds up through the end of the season. If not cap casualty.

I'd offer Tru 4 yrs $36M $22M guaranteed. $18M guaranteed in first two years. I don't think he was full speed due to cramping last Sunday. That just doesn't go away quickly sometimes.

Pay AD. Set up salary with Watkins to pay him as a #1 WR with health (12 games) and achievement earnings (1k yds + 10 TDs).

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
@BonifayRam Wade made some adjustments to seal the edge after half time against Washington. Did a good job against SF as well.

See what u can get in a trade offer for either Quinn, Austin, and Barron. Reduce salaries if their play holds up through the end of the season. If not cap casualty.

I'd offer Tru 4 yrs $36M $22M guaranteed. $18M guaranteed in first two years. I don't think he was full speed due to cramping last Sunday. That just doesn't go away quickly sometimes.

Pay AD. Set up salary with Watkins to pay him as a #1 WR with health (12 games) and achievement earnings (1k yds + 10 TDs).
I agree with you fully on Sammy Watkins but he still has foot issues & does in fact limp when walking. I still do not care I sign him anyway.

I would work every second of the day trying to get trade offers on those three...but hard for me to see any teams interested in Quinn, TA or Barron at their present cap costs. Snead might be able to swing something if we take the hit in the cap this season & get 2018 draft selections for the three.

Tru has been inconstant but still our best outside corner by a wide margin. I have no issues resigning him but not @ what he can get in the open market best to draft a blue chip corner high IMO. Rookie CB can usually start in their rookie seasons. Both JJ & tru did.

Can you tell me what Wade's adjustment's were to seal the edge beside inserting Longacre in for Quinn & Cory Littleton in for Barron?

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend

227364_7bd6eec02cdf48ccada5b30e0db37480~mv2_d_3000_2166_s_2.webp

We are through three Rams games and plenty to take away from them, but how many of you find yourselves thinking that certain players shouldn't be starting? Take a look at my list I made to organize who I believe is a starter now, but will not be at the end of the year.

WR Tavon Austin

227364_b83ebd1bc74b41f0a285492afb734c30~mv2_d_3355_2237_s_2.webp

It's sad, but I officially have given up my hope for Tavon Austin. Yes, I fell for it, I fell for him and I backed him up constantly. Now, the fact of the matter is Austin will never be anything more than a gadget player. Right now he is the starting slot receiver, that shouldn't even be the case anymore. There is no reason why a player like Cooper Kupp should only be on the field for 60 percent of snaps. There should be no time sharing and the Rams should stop trying to get Austin involved. Three games into this season the Rams have 107 points and none of them have come from Austin. I liked Austin, but it's time to realize he is a liability as he is playing over young weapons like Kupp, Josh Reynolds and Pharoh Cooper who seriously need to start getting their reps.

Replacement: Cooper Kupp

TE Tyler Higbee

227364_582e49ea9cfa49629e0026bdf54ae083~mv2.webp

Unfortunately, Tyler Higbee, the Rams starting tight end and a former fourth-round pick still looks behind. The Rams might even have two tight ends that are ahead of him on the roster and that's not even including the injured reserved Temarrick Hemingway. Higbee continues to struggle with his drops that plagued him during training camp. Higbee is rated one of the lowest tight ends in the game according to Pro Football Focus picking up where he left off last season. Granted, Higbee is still young and only into the beginning of his second season with actual coaching, the Rams should be and will be starting Gerald Everett sooner than later. On top of that if Higbee is starting because of his blocking which isn't great by any means, then Derek Carrier might be the best option to start moving forward. We didn't think of it at the time, but Higbee's drop near the goal line could have been one of the plays that ultimately left points on the board and resulted in a loss. Luckily for him, the Rams came out of the game dodging disaster.

Replacement: Gerald Everett

RG Jamon Brown

227364_0c0277cdb71341adb5439f0d4b2d848f~mv2.webp

The former 2015 third-round pick Jamon Brown is just not taking that next step. Yes, the Rams offense looks awesome thus far, but that doesn't mean there aren't some issues on the offensive line. Brown has looked outmatched most of the time this season and it's sad when you can say the best thing about Brown being at guard is that the Rams moved him from the tackle position. He is in no way built for a tackle and he has struggled mightily at guard. So who will replace him? The man coming back from an injury that looked like the best offensive lineman in relief last season.

Replacement: Andrew Donnal

OLB Connor Barwin

227364_ca09a563e9e04a7d97ce7023d122fcfc~mv2.webp

Connor Barwin started off his season being voted as a team captain, but he has since shown that he is past his prime, he's slow and isn't a starting caliber looking player at this point in his career anymore. I like Barwin however, the problem is he is arguably the only one in the starting lineup besides injured Kayvon Webster that has played in a 3-4. Barwin had a comeback game this week, but he still had some issues and he and Robert Quinn have had a seriously difficult time containing the edge. On the Brian Hoyer scramble touchdown in the red zone if you go back and watch the film Barwin practically gave him the touchdown by using his inside spin move that left himself with his back turned as he had to twist his body and accelerate after Hoyer. Barwin completely took himself (the only person in a position to make the play) out of the play. Barwin is a good player to have and he has that familiarity with Wade, but he is in no way shape or form a strength for this Rams team outside of his experience and leadership. With both him and Quinn struggling I think Matt Longacre's time could be coming as he is after all the top outside backer on the Rams according to Pro Football Focus.

Replacement: Matt Longacre

Who are your replacements? Let us know below!
Havenstein is up in the air.
Will have to see how the rest of the year plays out.
Quinn, same thing, will have to see.
Do the Rams stick with the "brilliant" Wade?
The transition to his D has been bad so far overall.
Most of secondary, despite the preseason boasting, has been bad. If SF can put 39 up on the Rams Dallas might hang 60 on the Rams.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Inconsistent is the key word here.

Every one of our players on D has made some great plays.

Every one of our players on D has made some boneheaded plays.

Every one of our players on D has gotten embarrassed during a game.

The good news is we know they're all CAPABLE of being well above-average individually.

I just think it has a lot to do with new assignments in that it is new D as far as individual assignments and that they will gel into a very solid unit by playoff time.

A poster mentioned recently that they are THINKING more than just REACTING.

That seems about right.

Last edited: