Rams starters sit out loss to Dolphins/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams starters sit out loss to Dolphins
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_e013230b-388e-544a-a483-1958daa1b77f.html

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. • Michael Sam and Ethan Westbrooks slugged it out one last time for a spot on the 53-man roster.

Backup quarterback Austin Davis put the finishing touches on an impressive preseason, completing 12 of 19 passes for 162 yards and a touchdown.

And undrafted rookie Trey Watts got plenty of work in his late bid to claim employment at running back.

As for the Rams regulars? They were in mothballs watching Thursday’s preseason finale wearing ball caps on the sideline during a 14-13 loss to the Miami Dolphins.

If it were the regular season, seeing a 13-0 lead turn into a 14-13 defeat in the second half would be a bitter pill for the Rams to swallow. But it’s still August, and with this contest turned over to the subs from the outset, this was a battle for roster spots for a couple of dozen Rams.

The headliner on that front obviously was Sam vs. Westbrooks — one last time. Sam was very active in the first half, and according to unofficial press box stats led the Rams with six tackles by game’s end. But Westbrooks wasn’t far behind with four tackles. One of those tackles came on his second sack of the preseason, and he added two quarterback hits.

“I’m gonna have to look at the tape, but Ethan was making a lot of plays every time I looked,” Fisher said.

As for Sam?

“I really didn’t see anything good or bad out of Mike ... but he played hard,” Fisher said.

Fisher did say that Sam has shown enough in training camp and the preseason to show he belongs.

“I think he can play in this league — yes,” Fisher said. “As can some other guys on this team that had good preseasons.”

With Sam on the threshold of history as the first openly gay player to make an NFL team, a horde of reporters waited patiently in the visitors’ locker room at Sun Life Stadium afterwards, and then engulfed him when he was ready to meet the media.

“That was a very good day to see that I could play the run,” Sam said. “I was very successful and made some plays and got some tackles.”

Sam said he felt he has shown enough to make an NFL team, be it the Rams or someone else.

“I’m very confident that I’ll be playing on an NFL roster this fall,” Sam said. “I know I can play in this league.”

Before the game Sam tweeted that the game would be his final exam. How did he fare?

“I did good,” he said. “I give myself a B-plus. I’ve very proud of myself, like I said, of how I fought the run.”

Now he must wait until 5 p.m. (St. Louis time) on Saturday to see if he has made the Rams’ regular-season roster.

“You know what, it’s not gonna be like the draft,” he said, laughing. “I’m very confident that I’m going to sleep well tonight.”

Only eight picks remained in the entire draft when the Rams selected Sam late in the seventh round in May.

But draft weekend was no picnic either for Westbrooks. The former NCAA Division II defensive player of the year at West Texas A&M went undrafted.

“I feel like a did well,” Westbrooks said, speaking of Thursday’s game as well as the preseason as a whole. “Let the chips fall where they may. Everything’s in the books right now, so I’m definitely comfortable with what I did this preseason. I’m proud of what I’ve done. So I just wait for the next two days.”

Once again, Westbrooks played both defensive end and tackle for the Rams, only this time in a three-man front.

Fisher must trim 21 players from the roster to reach the regular-season limit of 53.

“This is the hard part about the National Football League right now in the next couple of days,” Fisher said.

Making those roster decisions is complicated by several factors beyond the realm of play on the field, including injuries that will keep cornerback Trumaine Johnson (knee) and center/guard Barrett Jones (back) sidelined for several more weeks.

“Those are things that all fall into play with these decisions,” Fisher said.

At running back, Watts was the busiest skill player on the field for the Rams, carrying 13 times for 51 yards, and catching one pass for 12 yards. He also played all four “core” units on special teams: punt return, kickoff return, punt coverage and kickoff coverage.

“I haven’t had that many reps in a while,” Watts said. “But I enjoyed it, enjoyed just being out there playing football — the game you love.”

After missing the first exhibition game with a hamstring injury, Watts felt he stated his case over the final three contests.

“Whether they want to keep me or not, I just leave that up to them,” he said.

After a scoreless and sluggish first quarter, the Rams got on the board first with a 49-yard field goal by Greg Zuerlein with 11 minutes 46 seconds to go in the first half. Minutes later, an interception by Mizzou product E.J. Gaines set up the Rams’ only touchdown of the game, an 11-yard pass from Davis to Austin Pettis.

“It felt good to get my first pick,” Gaines said. “I should have kept the game ball but I was too hyped, so I dropped it.”

On an active night for Zuerlein, he tried a 63-yard kick with 8 seconds left in the half, but barely missed — wide left. In third quarter, he connected on a 53-yard attempt to give the Rams a 13-0 advantage with 5:37 to play in the quarter.

But the Dolphins scored a pair of touchdowns in the fourth quarter to claim the victory and leave the Rams at 1-3 for the 2014 preseason.

“As far as the game’s concerned, there were some good things in there, (but) you get frustrated at some of the young mistakes,” Fisher said.

The Rams didn’t commit any turnovers, but topped triple digits in penalty yards, with 102 on 14 infractions.

“But all in all, our training room’s empty right now, so that’s good news,” Fisher said.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams notes: Rams play it safe, rest all starters
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_d8fe3972-0e48-51e9-ab1c-f1c159a668b6.html

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. • Miami coach Joe Philbin elected to rest 21 of his 22 starters Thursday night at Sun Life Stadium. Rams counterpart Jeff Fisher went one better, resting all 22 of his usual starters on offense and defense.

Apparently, Dolphins right guard Dallas Thomas drew the short straw, because he was the only starter to actually start.

In the past, Fisher has said he likes to build up reps among his starters as the preseason progresses, including the fourth and final game. But injuries, and concern about injuries, can change a coach’s mind. And that was the case Thursday.

In the 2012 preseason finale against Baltimore, which was Fisher’s first season in St. Louis, nine offensive starters and all 11 defensive starters opened the game for the Rams.

But in last season’s exhibition finale, also against Baltimore, Fisher used only two of the team’s usual offensive starters and five of its normal defensive starters.

“Obviously, this took on the appearance of a fourth preseason game,” Fisher said after the Rams 14-13 loss to the Dolphins. “I think Coach (Philbin) and I were on the same page as far as not playing players. They had a lot of players out, we did so, too.”

Fisher conceded that sitting out his starters is not typical for him. But he added: “After our experience last week, we kind of decided that this is the best for this team. So we gave a lot of younger players an opportunity to play.”

The Rams lost five starters to injury in the first half of the Cleveland game, including quarterback Sam Bradford for the season with a knee injury.

Because the Rams were low at defensive end, with two ends banged up, Fisher went with a three-man front basically for the entire game.

“So we got some significant playing time for our linebacking corps,” Fisher said.

That’s because with only three defensive linemen in the game, that meant there were four linebackers behind them. With that in mind, backups Etienne Sabino, Phillip Steward, and Lawrence Wilson — all fighting for a sixth linebacker spot — saw lots of time.

SITTING IT OUT

Not dressing for the Rams Thursday were: CB Brandon McGee (ankle), LB Jo-Lonn Dunbar, DT Matt Conrath, DE Eugene Sims (knee), and G/T Rodger Saffold. Saffold suffered an ankle injury Saturday in Cleveland, but practiced Monday and Tuesday.

Also sitting were a pair of players who will be sidelined for a while: CB Trumaine Johnson (knee) and C/G Barrett Jones (back).

ISAAC BRUCE GALA

The Isaac Bruce Foundation will host its annual Gridiron Gala Friday, Sept. 5, at 7 p.m. at the Hyatt Regency St. Louis at the Arch. Nikko Smith will provide the music, and food will be served from some of St. Louis’ top restaurants.

Several members of the Super Bowl XXXIV championship team, as well as Olympic track and field hero Jackie Joyner-Kersee, are among the featured guests.

There will be live and silent auctions. For information on tickets, email tiffani@isaacbruce.org.

BACK TO FOOTBALL

The Rams will hold a “Back to Football” party Thursday from 5-7 p.m. at Ballpark Village. Rams personalities, cheerleaders, and team mascot Rampage will be on hand. There will be prizes and giveaways for spectators, including tickets to the regular season opener against Minnesota.

CONNECTIONS

The Miami roster includes three members of the 2013 Rams squad: cornerback Cortland Finnegan, wide receiver Brandon Gibson, and offensive guard Shelley Smith. The Rams’ roster includes a couple of recent Dolphins in offensive tackle Jake Long and defensive tackle Kendall Langford.

RAM-BLINGS

• Bruce, who is from the Fort Lauderdale, Fla., area, was at Thursday’s game.

• The Rams entered the contest with a 2-2 preseason mark against the Dolphins. The last time the teams faced each other in exhibition play was 2006, Scott Linehan’s first season as Rams head coach.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
One of these days I really hope the Rams have some offensive lineman on the depth chart that can actually block...Gilbert was like Kennedy in a convertible, he never stood a chance.