Rams, Stacy look to "keep the process going" without Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_95662e71-f258-5db4-af2c-84ed0501dc09.html

8 hours ago • By Joe Lyons jlyons@post-dispatch.com 636-493-9675

As a senior at Vanderbilt University, Rams rookie running back Zac Stacy set career marks for rushing yards (3,143) and touchdowns (30).

All 30 of his scores came on the ground.

Last weekend, in the Rams’ 30-15 road loss to the Carolina Panthers, Stacy picked up his first professional touchdown when he hauled in a 4-yard pass from Sam Bradford with just under 5½ minutes to play in the third quarter.

“A little bit of a surprise I guess, but I’ve been working on my pass-catching,’’ he said. “It was kind of hard, coming in a loss, but it’s still a good milestone. That touchdown in that game didn’t mean a whole lot, but hopefully there will be more in my career that I’ll be able to celebrate.’’

A key figure in the Rams’ revitalized run game in recent weeks, Stacy rushed 17 times for 53 yards and caught four passes for 34 yards and a touchdown against the Panthers. And he figures to be busy again when the Rams (3-4) host the Seattle Seahawks (6-1) for a key NFC West showdown on Monday Night Football from the Edward Jones Dome.

But even with Bradford out with a season-ending knee injury, Stacy stressed that it’s been business as usual this week at Rams Park.

“Losing Sam obviously hurts, but (back-up quarterback Kellen Clemens) is going to get the job done,’’ said Stacy, who has rushed for 214 yards while averaging 4.3 per carry. “It’s not just the running game that has to step up, it’s everybody on the team. As a team, we just have to stick together, to continue working to keep the process going.’’

Defensively, the Seahawks are ranked second overall — they’re sixth against the run and second against the pass. But that seems to be par for the course for the Rams, who are coming off games against No. 1 Houston and No. 3 Carolina.

“It’s what you deal with in this league,’’ Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said. “Even the ones that are down there at 31, 32, they’re pretty good, too. Obviously, we know these guys; they are clearly one of the best defenses in the league. Excellent front seven. They went out and spent a lot of money on extra pass rushers ... and their secondary is probably the best in football.’’

Stacy echoed that: “We all know about Seattle. Just an all-around outstanding unit. We still prepare the same way and we’re still going to play to our strengths. It all comes down to execution.’’

Off to their best start in franchise history, the Seahawks are not about to let down now. At least not if head coach Pete Carroll has anything to say about it.

“We have tremendous respect for Jeff Fisher and the work he does,’’ Carroll said. “I know they would love to have (Bradford) and we understand that, but this is a team that can beat you in a lot of ways. They beat us with their field goal team last year, so we understand and respect the heck out of this matchup.

“We know that (Clemens) has been around and that he’s familiar with that system. He’s played plenty of good football in the past and we expect him to be at his best.’’

INJURY REPORT

Rams center Scott Wells started practice but did not finish Saturday afternoon at Rams Park. With what was reported as a thigh injury, Wells is questionable for Monday.

“Scott was a little tight at the beginning of practice,’’ Rams head coach Jeff Fisher explained, noting that Mizzou product Tim Barnes is the next man up. “We’ve done a good job with Tim; he’s prepared to go in both guard spots and the center spot.’’

Barnes, a second-year pro from Longwood, Mo., said he’ll continue to prepare as he always does.

“Just part of the job. Every week, I have to prepare to play, just in case something comes up and I’m needed, at any of the inside spots,’’ the 25-year-old said. “Getting those extra reps, though, it’s kind of bonus really because it gives you that much more opportunity to get some work in.’’

But even Barnes is hopeful Wells will be ready to play Monday.

“I’m the back-up, my role it so be ready if something happens,’’ Barnes said. “Hopefully it doesn’t. But if Scott can’t go, I need to be ready.’’

The Rams’ injury report also includes cornerback Cortland Finnegan (hamstring) and running back/kick returner Benny Cunningham (ankle). Like Wells, Finnegan and Cunningham are questionable — 50/50 — for the game.

Neither practiced Saturday, although Cunningham worked on the side and continues to make progress. Finnegan, who has missed three games after going down in the Thursday night loss to San Francisco on Sept. 26, was limited in practice Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and took treatment on Saturday.

“‘Cort’ did not practice today, had a good session inside,’’ Fisher said.

For Seattle, fullback Derrick Coleman (hamstring), tackle Breno Giacomini (knee) and safety Jeron Johnson (hamstring) have not practiced all week and have been ruled out for Monday.Three other Seahawks — linebacker Bobby Wagner (knee), receiver Golden Taint (shoulder) and running back Christine Michael (illness) practiced on Saturday and are probable.

Wagner, the Seahawks middle linebacker, missed the last two games with a high ankle sprain.

Seattle receiver Percy Harvin returned to practice this week for the first time but remains on the physically unable to perform list and will not play against the Rams. Harvin, who was acquired in a trade with Minnesota in the offseason, had hip surgery to repair a torn labrum in early August.