Rams' special teams make their mark/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams' special teams make their mark
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_86eb7eba-b974-5e37-899d-7dd40071bdc2.html

With two games to play, Chase Reynolds leads the Rams with 16 tackles on special teams. But he is anything but comfortable.

“It’s a great feeling to be up on top, but when you have special-teams guys like Daren Bates, (Benny) Cunningham, Will Herring and all those other guys, it’s tough to stay in front,” the running back from Montana said. “But it’s a good thing because it gives you motivation to keep working. I think this is one helluva special-teams group, a group with a lot of athletic guys, and to be on top in tackles is a pretty good honor.

“Just want to keep working and hopefully come up with a few more tackles before the season’s over.”

Reynolds, a second-year pro who spent most of the 2011 and 2012 seasons on the practice squad, was tied for third on the squad with six special-teams stops a year ago.

His 16 tackles this year put him ahead of Bates (10), Trey Watts (eight), Cody Davis (seven), Herring (seven) and Eureka High product Maurice Alexander (five).

“I’ve got two games to catch him,” kidded Bates, a second-year pro from Auburn. “It’s a competition, but it’s about pushing each other to try to make everybody better.”

In a recent 24-0 win at Washington, the combination of Reynolds, Bates and Watts played key roles to foil a Redskins fake punt.

“I felt something was up. I heard a check that caught my attention,” Reynolds said. “I alerted the guys and we were able to make a play.”

When Washington punter Tress Way tried to run for a first down, he was met by Watts, who turned him inside for Bates to make the stop.

“It’s always great to make a play, but that was fun because it showed we could run a fake and also defend it,” Bates said.

Watts, an undrafted rookie free agent from the University of Tulsa, has adapted quickly to his new role with the Rams.

“In college, I was always the return man, so this whole world has been pretty new to me,” the 22-year-old said. “It took some getting used to at first — I had to play more physically and learn to throw my body around a little more than I’m used to — but I feel like I’ve done pretty well. Over the last month or so, I really feel like I’ve been catching on and making some plays.’’

INJURY REPORT

Just one Ram, veteran center Scott Wells, sat out Wednesday’s practice at Rams Park. And his absence was not injury related.

“It was coach’s decision to give him a day off,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “Good news from the health standpoint. Guys took care of themselves and took advantage of a couple of days off.’’

The Giants had a similarly light injury report, with running back Rashad Jennings (ankle) and middle linebacker Jameel McClain (knee) sitting out practice Wednesday.

Party in F

erguson

The Rams’ Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey, Kenny Britt, Jared Cook and Chris Givens and the Urban League of Metropolitan St. Louis, Inc., will hold a community Christmas party for residents of Ferguson and North St. Louis County from 2:30-4 p.m. Friday at 8960 Jennings Station Road.

The event will include presents, food and games. For more information, call 314-388-9840.

M

c

Leod gives bacK

Rams safety Rodney McLeod and former NFL defensive back Demetrious Johnson are working in conjunction with the Toys for Kids Foundation to spread holiday cheer from 5-7 p.m. Friday at Johnson’s foundation in St. Louis.

McLeod will hand out toys and share his life story.

“It’s new for me, but it’ll be fun. Looking forward to seeing the kids and giving back a little bit,’’ McLeod said. “It’s part of how I was raised, how I am as a person and something I look forward to doing.

“What better than giving back to kids at Christmas time?” he asked.

Johnson, who starred at McKinley High and the University of Missouri before he had a five-year NFL career that included stints with Detroit and Miami, founded the Demetrious Johnson Charitable Foundation in 1992 to “inspire and enhance the lives of inner-city youth.’’

“We haven’t met yet, but I’ve heard a lot of great things about him and his work in the St. Louis community,’’ said McLeod, who hosted the “Halloween Huddle’’ for a group of patients from Shriners Hospital for Children this season.

“We’re just looking to put a few smiles on the kids’ faces here at Christmas time.’’

On the move

Two former Rams were listed among Wednesday’s NFL transactions. Jacksonville promoted safety Matt Daniels from the practice squad to the 53-man roster. He spent most of 2012 and 2013 with the Rams and was released from the practice squad here on Sept. 3.

Quarterback Garrett Gilbert, a sixth-round draft pick by the Rams in May, was signed to the Patriots’ practice squad. He was cut from the Rams’ practice squad on Oct. 30.

• On the strength of his four field goals in Arizona’s 12-6 last Thursday victory over the Rams, Cardinals’ rookie kicker Chandler Catanzaro was named NFC special teams player of the week on Wednesday.

Catanzaro, who made kicks from 23, 44, 51 and 46 yards against the Rams, also won the honor in Week 6.