Rams Snead getting picked apart.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If Boudreau sees the scheme doesn't fit the talent, don't you think he would say such, and they would allow him to develop the best scheme? I can't imagine Fisher/Boras would not rely on his expertise to develop the right blocking scheme. If he's being "hog-tied," then I wonder why he would stay. All-in-all, I think it's time to bring in a new coach for our O-Line because we are currently seeing a gigantic mixed bag of nuts, and it's driving me nuts.

Whatever else happens Boudreau needs to go. The guy is more concerned with cross training OL than anything else, and none of them end up being proficient in their selected role. He did some good things early on with vet castoff types, but with the kids he's whiffed big time. OL is going to be an enormous part of the offseason changes, regardless of who is head coach and/or GM, simply because they have to get return on Goff and Gurley. It's gonna start with Boudreau too.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Whatever else happens Boudreau needs to go. The guy is more concerned with cross training OL than anything else, and none of them end up being proficient in their selected role. He did some good things early on with vet castoff types, but with the kids he's whiffed big time. OL is going to be an enormous part of the offseason changes, regardless of who is head coach and/or GM, simply because they have to get return on Goff and Gurley. It's gonna start with Boudreau too.

Your are correct, the biggest problem is the willy nilly changes. I bet these guys don't feel confident in where they play on the field because of it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
How do we know that "He basically has done exactly what was asked of him"?

I don't know who wanted each of the players drafted. I do believe Snead wanted Brian Quick. That's the stories about how Snead saw him at Appalachian State. Then they secretly went to a private workout etc....What about Greg Robinson and Mason from Sneads Alma Mater Auburn? How much influence did Snead have on these picks? Was Snead equally of more enamored with Tavon Austin then Fisher? I don't all the details but, Snead has to be accountable for some picks. We just don't know how many?

The fact that Fisher hired Snead leads me to believe that Fisher is dictating to Les, and not the other way around.

Ram65

Legend
The fact that Fisher hired Snead leads me to believe that Fisher is dictating to Les, and not the other way around.

Come on. You don't think Les influenced Fisher at all. That's his job. He makes recommendations and some times more I'm sure. Quick was one of them for sure.

Imagine this.

Fish to Les: I need a # 1 big WR. He has to be able to jump, run fast and make plays.

Les back to Fish; Oh Boy I got one. Under the radar too. We can steal hi in round 3. We may have to take him in round 2,

Fish back to Les: OK are you sure? Let's go see him and don't tell anyone.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Its tough to really judge Snead considering we really dont know his actual job/responsibilities. but regardless I view this team similar to the pre-Harbaugh niners. very bad record but loads of talent. once Harbaugh got their everyone and their mom were saying how talented that team was, and few players were added from Harbaugh and his staff. I think its the same thing here. Loads of talent, just not being coached right. Now who knows who gets most the credit for who the rams drafted, but it be crazy if Snead didnt have a big hand in it so to me I hope he stays

whitedk57

Ram fan for life
Name
Duane
Its tough to really judge Snead considering we really dont know his actual job/responsibilities. but regardless I view this team similar to the pre-Harbaugh niners. very bad record but loads of talent. once Harbaugh got their everyone and their mom were saying how talented that team was, and few players were added from Harbaugh and his staff. I think its the same thing here. Loads of talent, just not being coached right. Now who knows who gets most the credit for who the rams drafted, but it be crazy if Snead didnt have a big hand in it so to me I hope he stays

Harbaugh is a great example, because everybody could see the talent that was already assembled there. Harbaugh takes over and those guys were hard to beat.

And I think Boras is not qualified to run this offense. He's boring and predictable. When 2 out of 3 parts of your team are successful most every game, but the offense falls flat, then it falls on the OC and HC. Boras is not the answer...

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
L.A Media is smelling blood.
710 am this morning labeled Sneads fill in for Fisher on the Jeff Fisher show
Unprepared. Unacceptable. Snead also repeated himself while not saying much of anything. Things are getting hot for Snisher. Last week Steve Mason in an interview with Fisher was said to have told Jeff he should be fired and then rambled off his stance on the matter.
To be clear I did not hear the Mason interview.
I am reporting what was said this morning on 710 ESPN here in L.A
I do not have links but will post them below if I find them.

Here's the morning show..

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/losangeles/play?id=18226447

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Come on. You don't think Les influenced Fisher at all. That's his job. He makes recommendations and some times more I'm sure. Quick was one of them for sure.

Imagine this.

Fish to Les: I need a # 1 big WR. He has to be able to jump, run fast and make plays.

Les back to Fish; Oh Boy I got one. Under the radar too. We can steal hi in round 3. We may have to take him in round 2,

I think Fisher and the assistants have a lot of say in who they prefer. Les and his scouts find the potential targets and the coaches work them out. Maybe in the case of Quick it was mostly Les. But I don't think Les comes up with one option and says, 'Here he is'.

Maybe Les and Fisher both love the same type of raw athletic players. That part is tough to tell. I still think Fisher is the boss here. Like I said, he hired Snead.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception

Imagine this.

The sole purpose of a scout is to evaluate the individual mostly by the potential they physically see prior to the draft, and by that they're bringing fresh meat into a league of wolves. It's the sole duties of a coach/coaches to ensure that meat doesn't get mauled to death during the regular season. Snead may have influenced to a certain extent, but the conditioning and preparation after the fact lies on the coaches. Snead doesn't get paid to see the product all the way through.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler

Imagine this.

Lol this is spot on. Instead of taking the better college player in the top conference (Jeffery) they got cute and drafted a project from a much smaller school (Quick). Snisher thinks there the smartest guy in the room and do some weird draft stuff. They literally outsmart themselves. Like when we loaded up on power blocking O-lineman and reached for them a round or more early every pick :rolleyes:. Im looking at Havenstein, Brown, Donnal, Wichmann in the same draft to address the line. Havenstein has been ok but the others have been pretty bad. Power run blockers who cant run block lol. Thing is they were all reach picks except maybe Havenstein.

FRO

Legend
I'm still not sure why Snead gets a free pass from some. Some posters want to credit him with all the good defensive picks while blaming Fisher for the bad offensive ones. Three highly picked offensive players have either underwhelmed or flat busted in Robinson, Austin, and Quick. All essentially first round picks. I put blame on both Fisher and Snead because it's most likely a collaboration between the two.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
L.A Media is smelling blood.
710 am this morning labeled Sneads fill in for Fisher on the Jeff Fisher show
Unprepared. Unacceptable. Snead also repeated himself while not saying much of anything. Things are getting hot for Snisher. Last week Steve Mason in an interview with Fisher was said to have told Jeff he should be fired and then rambled off his stance on the matter.
To be clear I did not hear the Mason interview.
I am reporting what was said this morning on 710 ESPN here in L.A
I do not have links but will post them below if I find them.

@rdlkgliders I believe this is the Steve Mason interview with Fisher you speak of? Kudos to Fisher for standing in there and answering questions though. I had no clue of this interview, so appreciate you mentioning it rdlk. :cool:

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/losangeles/play?id=18182629

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
What happened to the "build a team from the inside (OL & DL) out" philosophy? Isn't that a generally regarded rule of building a football team?

In my opinion, and from reading the comments of other Rams fans on this board, that has been an issue from Day 1 with the Snisher FO. We have spent an incredible amount of draft capital on completely ineffective skilled players without having a solid base (i.e., an OL).

If you look at the good teams around the league, they spend draft and FA capital on OL. Raiders. Cowboys. Pitt. NE. etc.

We should also remember, in fairness to our FO, that Bradford was a tragically bad QB that has gotten at least one head coach fired - namely Chip Kelly. I am sure that before his career is done there will be more, namely Fisher.

And as a side note, I think the Gurely issue is that he lost so much weight and hasn't adjusted his game to match. If we are going to use him like Pitt uses it's RB (a slimmed down bruiser with speed), then we are running the wrong offense. He should have kept on the weight so that when he is asked to run into the back of our OL he can at least move the pile a yard. His YPC is atrocious.

We all saw our offensive ineptness with the SF game. I still believe that our players are better than the product on the field and there is only one culprit for that - coaching.

MountainRam

Rookie
Its going to get real dark before its better. We will longingly look at this 6-10 season in a year or two and wonder when we could get back to 6-10 again. I am looking forward to Fall of 2019.

FRO

Legend
What happened to the "build a team from the inside (OL & DL) out" philosophy? Isn't that a generally regarded rule of building a football team?

In my opinion, and from reading the comments of other Rams fans on this board, that has been an issue from Day 1 with the Snisher FO. We have spent an incredible amount of draft capital on completely ineffective skilled players without having a solid base (i.e., an OL).

If you look at the good teams around the league, they spend draft and FA capital on OL. Raiders. Cowboys. Pitt. NE. etc.

We should also remember, in fairness to our FO, that Bradford was a tragically bad QB that has gotten at least one head coach fired - namely Chip Kelly. I am sure that before his career is done there will be more, namely Fisher.

And as a side note, I think the Gurely issue is that he lost so much weight and hasn't adjusted his game to match. If we are going to use him like Pitt uses it's RB (a slimmed down bruiser with speed), then we are running the wrong offense. He should have kept on the weight so that when he is asked to run into the back of our OL he can at least move the pile a yard. His YPC is atrocious.

We all saw our offensive ineptness with the SF game. I still believe that our players are better than the product on the field and there is only one culprit for that - coaching.
Bradford isn't a bad QB. He's a talented QB who's been on many bad teams. He didn't get Chip fired. Chip got Chip fired.

Yes the major failure of the Fisher/Snead regime was the inability to build an offensive line. They did a heck of a job building the defensive line. They developed Quinn, drafted Brockers and Donald. On offense they didn't draft a lineman in the first three rounds until 2014, then in 2015 they went all in on one position. It hasn't paid dividends as they'd like because they haven't seemed to hit on the guys they picked. Cordy Glenn over Quick in 2012, not trading up for Austin in 2013 allowing them to get Warford in the second. Jake Matthews over Greg Robinson. Now that's all hindsight on my part, but I believe if they'd invested in the offensive line earlier with their premium picks they'd be much better off.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Absolutely spot on correct. If Snead has done anything wrong, it is that. How much impact Snead has had in player selection is a mystery to me.

Tavon Austin the most glaring example at the skill positions. He just does not fit our scheme. Would blow up the league in an offense catered to his talents.

But then you have the example of them supposedly drafting to team scheme and plans, the offensive linemen that were supposed to be run blocking maulers, and we all can see that's a miserable fail. Why its a fail is debatable. But they clearly are not what they were sold to us to be.

Theres that old saying that you don't draft Alabama running backs. Perhaps the same can be said for Wisconsin Linemen.....perhaps instead of drafting those players, you instead hire their coaches.

I think Fisher has a huge say, maybe THE say. All you hear about is how Fisher wanted Blackmon, how Fisher wanted Wagner, how Fisher wanted Joyner, how Fisher wanted Alexander. How come we never hear about Snead wanting someone?

In addition, all those former Titans players we added? At minimum Fisher gets what he wants and influences Snead heavily on decisions.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
If Boudreau sees the scheme doesn't fit the talent, don't you think he would say such, and they would allow him to develop the best scheme? I can't imagine Fisher/Boras would not rely on his expertise to develop the right blocking scheme. If he's being "hog-tied," then I wonder why he would stay. All-in-all, I think it's time to bring in a new coach for our O-Line because we are currently seeing a gigantic mixed bag of nuts, and it's driving me nuts.

I would certainly hope he would if he saw that ... but in the end I just don't know. Maybe he's all in with it, maybe lukewarm, who knows. The only reason I can see him staying if he's hog tied is to honor his contract. I think we might know once the current regime is gone, whenever that may occur.

Either way, I agree with you that it's time for new blood at that position in the staff.

Maybe he only had a golden touch when the players were good? This possibility also concerns me... is it the coach... or is it the players.. or is it the scheme?
No wonder we're having problems!

Who knows. I distinctly remember in 2006 when Orlando Pace went down with a season ending injury halfway through the season ... Bou was the coach, shuffled guys around (including putting headcase Alex Barron at LT), and the offense never missed a beat. Normally losing a guy of Pace's caliber would be devastating, but in large part because of Bou's work, it was almost like nothing happened. Steven Jackson had his best season as a Ram both in terms of rushing yards and TD's, and Bulger had the best season of his career, including a 24/7 TD/INT ratio. It was the last time the Rams finished at .500 as well. Also remember that in the following offseason, Linehan let Bou go and replaced him with Steve Loney ... and the offensive line was instantly and noticeably worse, and continued to stay bad ... the contrast made Bou look better.

I'm not 100% sure why he hasn't gotten it done this time around, and as I discussed above with @MTRamsFan, I'm not sure how on board he is with the blocking scheme. But if he is on board with the current blocking scheme, then he's as much at fault as his superiors.