Rams Snead getting picked apart.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
L.A Media is smelling blood.
710 am this morning labeled Sneads fill in for Fisher on the Jeff Fisher show
Unprepared. Unacceptable. Snead also repeated himself while not saying much of anything. Things are getting hot for Snisher. Last week Steve Mason in an interview with Fisher was said to have told Jeff he should be fired and then rambled off his stance on the matter.
To be clear I did not hear the Mason interview.
I am reporting what was said this morning on 710 ESPN here in L.A
I do not have links but will post them below if I find them.

Last edited:

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Snead in my opinion has done a great job. He has coexisted with his coach and made decisions in conjunction with what his coach thinks is the best way to build a team.

He basically has done exactly what was asked of him.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I Listened to some of the show last night, hoping to post Les' comments, but he really didn't have much to say. They briefly talked about the game on Sunday, which was mostly about Brady. Talked a bit about Goff's progression, and I turned it off once they went into his history with Atlanta. Because I did not listen to the whole thing, I'm not sure if there was any discussion about Fisher's extension. From what I heard, he seemed very nervous with his responses.

Edit: One other item I forgot to mention. They did discuss our running game woes. Les attributes it to defenses making a concerted effort to stop Gurley this year after seeing what he did last year. He also said Gurley has shown some impatience this year too because he's not seeing the same thing as last year.

Okay, I get that teams are loading the box begging us to throw. So the question is how do you fix this? Coaches should be able to create a game plan anticipating this, and the players need to execute better. Seems easy to some extent, but for whatever reason we can't seem to solve this riddle.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I heard the entire interview....I got stuck in traffic on purpose....yeah...I did that...

Seemed like a nice guy...Demarco and whoever just threw up softball questions...

I really want to know...did he like every player we drafted, or was he instructed by Fish? What's up with the linemen? Both sides....Last...I gotta know who wanted the receivers...The wide outs and the TE's....is that Snead or Fisher?

Just read that PFT....now I heard Les last night...and I coulda swore he said he gets together with Fish a couple times a week...like to go over injuries & FA's out there needed to possibly replace them...and he NEVER said, "man, I got extended, you too?" They don't talk????

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Snead in my opinion has done a great job. He has coexisted with his coach and made decisions in conjunction with what his coach thinks is the best way to build a team.

Bingo. That's what separates him from Fisher.

He was asked to find the players that Fisher wanted, he did. Coaching them up, implementing a scheme that suits their talents, and putting them in the best position to succeed was under the coaches umbrella of responsibility.

I hope we keep Snead.

Ram65

Legend

How do we know that "He basically has done exactly what was asked of him"?

I don't know who wanted each of the players drafted. I do believe Snead wanted Brian Quick. That's the stories about how Snead saw him at Appalachian State. Then they secretly went to a private workout etc....What about Greg Robinson and Mason from Sneads Alma Mater Auburn? How much influence did Snead have on these picks? Was Snead equally of more enamored with Tavon Austin then Fisher? I don't all the details but, Snead has to be accountable for some picks. We just don't know how many?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
How do we know that "He basically has done exactly what was asked of him"?

I don't know who wanted each of the players drafted. I do believe Snead wanted Brian Quick. That's the stories about how Snead saw him at Appalachian State. Then they secretly went to a private workout etc....What about Greg Robinson and Mason from Sneads Alma Mater Auburn? How much influence did Snead have on these picks? Was Snead equally of more enamored with Tavon Austin then Fisher? I don't all the details but, Snead has to be accountable for some picks. We just don't know how many?

Boudreau wanted GRob and wanted him badly from the reports I have read. And Fisher wanted Quick at least as bad as Snead. If Fisher didn't want Quick, he wouldn't have been drafted, as Fisher more or less had final say. Snead may have the title of GM, but really he's the head of scouting.

And to add to something @Mojo Ram said on another thread a while back, it's at best extremely difficult to believe that Snead could hit on almost every defensive draft pick he's made and not hit on his offensive ones. When you consider that the offensive picks are very much in line with the head coach's MO, and further consider that the offense is where the coaching has been consistently sub-par in Fisher's time here, it's easier to identify the problem.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
The amount of love Snead gets on here is amazing. How can he NOT be held accountable for the general lack of talent on this team? Are we really blaming this mess ALL on coaching? So are we to believe that Darth Hoodie would win 12 games with this roster? I don't get it. It must be the hair for some of you.....

I didn't listen to the interview, but it doesn't sound like I missed much. He has never been very good at giving interviews or insight as far as I am concerned. Always seems kinda weird and twitchy to me.

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
The amount of love Snead gets on here is amazing. How can he NOT be held accountable for the general lack of talent on this team? Are we really blaming this mess ALL on coaching? So are we to believe that Darth Hoodie would win 12 games with this roster? I don't get it. It must be there hair for some of you.....

I didn't listen to the interview, but it doesn't sound like I missed much. He has never been very good at giving interviews or insight as far as I am concerned. Always seems kinda weird and twitchy to me.

I don't buy the lack of talent argument, especially given the talent we have acquired and developed on defense. And overall, this team has much more talent than it did when he took over. As far as what Darth Hoodie would do with this team, hard to say, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that he would have this team - with this same roster - over .500 right now and in playoff contention. And he certainly wouldn't settle for offensive coordinators that are as bad as the ones Fisher has hired.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I have lost a lot of the respect I previously held for Fish.

First, I don't like his continued spin of everything. He took forever to find accountability with GRob, and finally did bench him but refuses to admit what it was, even though we all know it was a benching, and even though it kept GRob from playing in front of his home town and family he claimed the guy was excited and energized, blah blah blah.

He makes excuses right after he says there is no excuse. He coddles these guys, making excuses for them instead of calling it what it is, a good and recent example being Gaines' play being blamed on injury. I hope that's the case, as I want Gaines to return to who he was, but the overall deal here is that so many players don't play up to their ability, whether it's him, or Quinn, or Johnson, etc, and Fish never calls them out. I get that's why they love the guy, but at some point he needs to quit with the touch-feely BS and call a spade a spade with his veterans who are not playing well.

He continually refuses to hold offensive players accountable for their play on the field. Kendricks should be benched for his performance the past two weeks, but he won't be. Austin should have been benched to date this season and it might have helped him out as well to suffer that indignity. I mean you can just go down the list with these guys where it's like Fish puts on the kid gloves with them.

I suspect he's going to find out the hard way that even when a team loves you they will quit on you. IMO that's gonna happen here down the stretch. Atlanta will be our third butt kicking in a row. Seattle will be the fourth. And by God he better beat the whiners, that one alone has the potential to make him a laughingstock, well even more of one. Only hope he has is Goff playing lights out and getting this offense on track, but it certainly doesn't look possible given all the problems we have in personnel and scheme.

Lastly, I don't like his throwing Snead under the bus by having him take the barbs for him on the show. That's his show. Dude is a weenie for pulling that maneuver IMO.

…..

Legend
The amount of love Snead gets on here is amazing. How can he NOT be held accountable for the general lack of talent on this team? Are we really blaming this mess ALL on coaching? So are we to believe that Darth Hoodie would win 12 games with this roster? I don't get it. It must be there hair for some of you.....

Not coaching.....but culture.

We live in Jeff Fishers culture.

I'm not putting that on Snead. I think Snead has done a fantastic job. Its just an opinion, but its what I think. The talent level is there, the scheme and culture is not.

FRO

Legend
The amount of love Snead gets on here is amazing. How can he NOT be held accountable for the general lack of talent on this team? Are we really blaming this mess ALL on coaching? So are we to believe that Darth Hoodie would win 12 games with this roster? I don't get it. It must be the hair for some of you.....

Exactly. Coaching is bad, but the roster is talent deficient. Horrible offensive line. Poor receivers. Shaky secondary. Lack of defensive depth. It's not 2009 Rams bad, but it's bad.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't disagree with the Fisher culture thing. Also agree that the team has some talent, but I would question the collection of talent we have currently. It just doesn't seem like a cohesive group of players that compliment each other in any particular way. Almost like an auto draft type of lineup, haha. I think you need to draft players that fit the vision and scheme the teams plans to go forward with. Fisher and Snead don't seem to do much critical thinking in that area. The Rams feel like a collection of players, rather than a TEAM....if that makes any sense.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
It just doesn't seem like a cohesive group of players that compliment each other in any particular way.

On defense, I would have to emphatically disagree. I think the players we have there, when healthy and playing at their best, complement each other very well.

Offensively, I can see some cohesion in terms of how they can complement each other, although I think the Tavon pick is an outlier. I think going into 2013, Fisher was actually considering opening up the offense and introducing some spread concepts, hence the Austin pick. However, he failed to realize that the coordinator he had for implementing such a scheme was completely ill-suited to do so, and when it struggled early, he ran back to his security blanket of ball control/run first.

That being said, if there was one good thing Cignetti did last year it was illustrating how Austin could be used to complement Gurley in the run game. Boras has completely (and inexplicably) abandoned that approach. I think Groh has a better idea of how to use Austin in the passing game, but his hands are tied by Boras to some extent, as they were by Fisher's insistence starting a QB who wasn't accurate enough to get the ball to him for the first 9 games.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Normally the GM selects the HC and they are tied together.
This is a curious case as Fisher basically picked Snead
And with Fisher having a clear voice, who's to say who picked who?

End of the day, I'd say if one goes, they both go

…..

Legend
I don't disagree with the Fisher culture thing. Also agree that the team has some talent, but I would question the collection of talent we have currently. It just doesn't seem like a cohesive group of players that compliment each other in any particular way. Almost like an auto draft type of lineup, haha. I think you need to draft players that fit the vision and scheme the teams plans to go forward with. Fisher and Snead don't seem to do much critical thinking in that area. The Rams feel like a collection of players, rather than a TEAM....if that makes any sense.

Absolutely spot on correct. If Snead has done anything wrong, it is that. How much impact Snead has had in player selection is a mystery to me.

Tavon Austin the most glaring example at the skill positions. He just does not fit our scheme. Would blow up the league in an offense catered to his talents.

But then you have the example of them supposedly drafting to team scheme and plans, the offensive linemen that were supposed to be run blocking maulers, and we all can see that's a miserable fail. Why its a fail is debatable. But they clearly are not what they were sold to us to be.

Theres that old saying that you don't draft Alabama running backs. Perhaps the same can be said for Wisconsin Linemen.....perhaps instead of drafting those players, you instead hire their coaches.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Absolutely spot on correct. If Snead has done anything wrong, it is that. How much impact Snead has had in player selection is a mystery to me.

Tavon Austin the most glaring example at the skill positions. He just does not fit our scheme. Would blow up the league in an offense catered to his talents.

But then you have the example of them supposedly drafting to team scheme and plans, the offensive linemen that were supposed to be run blocking maulers, and we all can see that's a miserable fail. Why its a fail is debatable. But they clearly are not what they were sold to us to be.
Yep. Even the OL blocking scheme changed and seems to not suit our current players. Why are we still using a primarily ZBS when it appears these guys aren't as effective in it? Coach Bou is another one that has always been given God like status with this team. Seems he is as guilty as any of the coaches to me...