Rams signing Robert Woods

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, would you think the WR role would be closed, say if we got Josh Gordon?. You can basically pick him up on peanuts because he is an experienced player trying to get back into the grind after a suspension. He would be a cheap sign, and you wouldn't have to overpay for results.

No. I've made my stance on Gordon very clear. I'm fine with him signing him, but he changes nothing for me. I am going into the season not expecting him to play. If he does, it's a pleasant surprise. I'd prefer to be prepared for the worst.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/pag...barnwell-grades-big-2017-free-agent-deals-nfl

WR Robert Woods, Rams
Grade: D+

After Marquise Goodwin picked up two years and $8 million from the 49ers Wednesday, the league's primal urge to sign non-Sammy Watkins receivers away from the Bills hit a fever pitch on Thursday with the Woods signing. Los Angeles committed five years and $39 million for Woods to replace Kenny Britt in their lineup, including $15 million guaranteed. This comes one year after the Rams gave Tavon Austin a four-year, $42-million extension with an unreal $28.5 million in guarantees, a deal that might be the worst contract in football this year. Unless the Rams stretch his roster bonus (which would be an even worse idea), Austin is going to get $15 million in 2017, which will be the third-highest cap hit for a wideout in football.

What are the Rams getting with Woods? It's hard to tell. He hasn't been particularly productive, despite spending all four of his seasons in Buffalo as a starting wide receiver. Among the 33 wideouts with 45 or more starts since 2013, Woods ranks 28th in receptions, 31st in receiving yards and tied for 31st in touchdowns. He's still young -- Woods turns 25 in April -- but there isn't much evidence that he is developing as a pass-catcher.

The other benefit to Woods is his blocking as a wideout, and indeed, he might be one of the best blockers in football on the edge. He offers value there, but how often do teams really value blocking in their wide receivers? Isn't it likely that the Rams could have picked up a decent blocker on the edge at wideout for a fraction of Woods' price? Woods feels like a weak-hitting first baseman with a good glove, where the secondary skill is useful but doesn't do nearly enough to mitigate his missing bat.

jap

Legend
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0632006707702141234-4

Sean McVay brought up an interesting trait about Robert Woods' route-running ability, which is crucial to the concepts he ran in Washington: "He understands and makes everything look the same. Great body control.

One of the things you really appreciate about him is when he's at the top of his routes, his ability to create that immediate separation because he makes guys truly feel like he's stretching the field vertical, then he snaps it down at 15 with good body lean."

Alden Gonzalez, ESPN Staff Writer

This is one of he traits that made Isaac Bruce so deadly as a wide-out, that ability to make every route look like the last one. When he started his routes, one scout talked effusively of how Bruce would utterly terrify CB's with his ability to glide meaning, as he came directly towards the CB, the CB could not tell just how fast he was moving, making it ridiculously difficult to react to Isaac's motion.

Last edited:

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Do you like this signing? Do you feel Woods could be an integral piece to this team? Or do you think we should chase a receiver ie. Zay Jones in the draft?...

Honestly I dont think we need a WR now. We should be set in that area. But the center should be the main topic of discussion.
Let me kinda help here. Jrry very much so likes the signing and thinks he is going to be a tremendous help to this offense. What he was trying to articulate was what McVay was describing about Woods' work ethic and knowledge on how to run routes is at a very high and professional level. And Jrry also thinks Zay Jones has these traits. I have heard the same about him that he has exceptional route running skills and knows how to get open. These are the exact qualities that made Isaac Bruce such a great WR. RW is going to bring a professionalism to the room that we haven't had in quite some time. Jones is also 6'-3" and FAST.

So adding him in the draft along with the Woods addition would give us a complete WR corps. With the same #'s that we had last year in we would be going Woods/Jones over Britt/Quick.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That grade is funny, we don't know the structure if the deal yet people are grading it as he's making 8 million a year. I can't wait for the details and we find out how big the incentives are.

jap

Legend
The other benefit to Woods is his blocking as a wideout, and indeed, he might be one of the best blockers in football on the edge. He offers value there, but how often do teams really value blocking in their wide receivers? Isn't it likely that the Rams could have picked up a decent blocker on the edge at wideout for a fraction of Woods' price? Woods feels like a weak-hitting first baseman with a good glove, where the secondary skill is useful but doesn't do nearly enough to mitigate his missing bat.

This was another standout quality for Isaac Bruce that made him one of the most complete receivers in NFL history. Longtime members here have seen me brag about Isaac's personal best of 14 pancake blocks in a single game. Isaac knew how to lower those horns and gore defenders. Robert sounds like he will fit right in with Isaac's tradition.

Robert has been limited to being a #2 WR with Buffalo's run-centric, Sammy Watts-based offense. Let's see if he can develop further into a full blown #1 status as Isaac did by his second season.

EasyE

Starter
This is one of he traits that made Isaac Bruce so deadly as a wide-out, that ability to make every route look like the last one. When he started his routes, one scout talked effusively of how Bruce would utterly terrify CB's with his ability to glide meaning, as he came directly towards the CB, the CB could not tell just how fast he was moving, making it ridiculously difficult to react to Isaac's motion.

The comparison to Bruce is intriguing...I felt that way about Woods when he came out...Bruce was a 2nd rounder also...is there any way Woods could be 80% of what Bruce was, somehow hidden in Buffalo's offense?...

Bruce absolutely had a "Glide" about him...an absolute joy to watch...my favorite modern Ram....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
People know that I have a boner for the WR position. I have spotty internet right now (on vacation with friends), but when I get back home I definitely want to elaborate on what McVay just said. It's a beautiful explanation. It's something that I think a lot of people don't fully understand.(and I don't mean that in an insulting way)

This is something that I really love about Zay Jones (a WR prospect). He does the same thing.

As promised, I want to talk a bit more about route running and why what Robert Woods does is such an important thing. McVay explained that Woods makes all his routes look the same. One would expect that's a pretty common thing in the NFL, but it's really not. A lot of NFL WRs have tells. The easiest tell is that some WRs run routes at different speeds based on the depth of the route. Changing speeds as a route runner can be a high level skill that some WRs master to dupe CBs. However, most WRs change speeds because they aren't refined route runners. The bad type of changing speed is when you come off the line slower on shorter routes than you do on longer routes. CBs pick up on this, especially CBs who watch a lot of film. It helps them to determine when to squat on short routes or bail to cover the longer routes. Refined route runners will sell their vertical stem aggressively off the LOS no matter what route is being run. This forces the CB to always respect the vertical route instead of squatting. However, that isn't always true in practice (I'll explain why a little later). The best route runners change their speed to deceive CBs. They know how to change the way they sell their vertical stems to bait CBs into making mistakes. This is a high level concept and very few guys in the NFL actually do it.(because not all schemes allow for it) Stevie Johnson used to be incredible at it, but Buffalo also gave him a lot of leeway to freelance in their scheme.

Another important part of making your routes all look identical is that it gives you a two-way go. You'll often hear that phrase when a HB is in the open field and a safety has to make the tackle. In that situation, a two-way go means that the HB can cut either way, and the safety must play more cautiously because he can't box the HB in. When discussing route running, it means that the WR can cut either way. It has the same benefit for route running. The CB has to play the break more cautiously if the WR can cut either way. If the CB catches the WR tipping his hand by allowing his eyes to deceive him, leaning before his break, or letting his body get in front of his feet (i.e., turning his shoulders/head before he has exploded off his plant foot), it gives him an extra step or two to break on the route and the pass. You want the CB to have no idea which way you're breaking because he won't be able to break on the route until after you've committed (after you've broken down and dropped your plant foot). That will earn you separation.

Something you'll see talented route runners do is "tilt" a DB before the break point. Here's an example of Woods doing it:

There are many ways to tilt a DB, but it basically means get the DB leaning in the opposite direction of the way you plan to break. If his momentum is taking him the wrong way, it will get you that much more open. Here, Woods does a nice job with his release off the LOS. You will see guys generally use three moves in the NFL. You have a straight release, a one-step release, and a two-step release. Here, Woods utilizes a straight release and uses his hands to keep Lane from tying him up on the LOS. After getting off the LOS, watch Woods aggressively get back onto his vertical stem and try to stack Lane. While, he's not able to totally stack Lane, he does an amazing job of using his vertical stem to tilt Lane. Watch Lane's hips and shoulders. Because Woods is leveraging his route inside, Lane opens his hips and shoulders inside. When Woods quickly breaks down and makes his speed cut outside, Lane has no ability to undercut the route or stick with Woods on the break because Lane's momentum is taking him away from where Woods is going. The other great part about this play is that Woods leveraging his route inside holds the C-2 safety inside. That gives Woods more room to work with after he makes his cut. This is a great display of route running. Leveraging your vertical stem is one way to tilt a defender. There are other ways to tilt defenders, including using a variety of subtle fakes (such as head fakes or shoulder fakes).

In addition to tilting a defender, you want your WR to be able to use his vertical stem to open up a defender's hips early. This is why it's important to make your routes look the same and aggressively sell your vertical stem. If you can get the defender to open his hips early, it'll earn you much more separation on stop routes. And if you can trick him into squatting at the wrong time, you can get him to open his hips late which will earn you separation on vertical routes. Antonio Brown is one of the masters at changing speed to get DBs to make mistakes in this regard. One such move is that Brown will come off the LOS slower than he normally does to lull the DB into squatting, and then he'll suddenly accelerate hard to scare the DB into thinking that he was trying to bait him. This will cause the DB to flip his hips and aggressively bail. At this point, Brown will break down and make his break on a stop route. When he catches the ball, the DB will be 5-10 yards up the field, and that will allow Brown to pick up yards after the catch.

Getting back to my earlier point about why WRs aggressively selling their vertical stem doesn't always create separation, this is because some WRs don't have the athletic traits to scare the CB. For example, I always used to say that Brandon Gibson was a precise route runner but not a good route runner. What I meant by this is that Gibson's routes were run in a textbook fashion. He aggressively sold his vertical stem, he ran his route to the proper depth, and he took the correct number of steps in making his break. However, Gibson lacked the vertical speed and explosiveness out of his breaks to back DBs off. Thus, despite his textbook route running, he wasn't tilting DBs or causing them to open their hips early. In addition, Gibson wasn't a creative route runner. If you lack the physical attributes to scare the DB, you have to use skill and intelligence to create separation. Gibson never had the feel for how to use subtle fakes or changes in speed to get the DB off balance. Woods has that ability.

There are two final points I want to make. Route running changes based on the coverage type and leverage. This is why it's important to have WRs who can read defenses, understand your offensive scheme, and adjust on the fly. Some offenses are more complex than others in how much reading of the defense they ask their WRs to do. The Patriots are an example of an offense that is very complex, but it also makes it very difficult to cover their WRs because of their ability to adjust on the fly to what you're doing.(if they have the right WRs for the system) Also, different schemes allow differing amounts of freedom for their WRs. A lot of offenses sync up their route concepts, QB drops, and steps in the routes. Thus, it is important for the WR to run his route to the proper depth with the proper number of steps in the proper amount of time. Improper depth could screw up the route concept or make the QB's throw look inaccurate. Improper number of steps often will lead to improper depth or improper timing. Improper timing will cause the QB to hold the ball longer or give the DB extra time to break on the route.(depending on whether the WR is early or late) Thus, it will depend on the scheme how much freedom WRs are given to incorporate changes of speed and fakes into the route. It will also depend on the WR's ability. If you're an elite WR, the QB and team will give you more freedom to use these high level skills than they will the #4 WR on the roster.

Anyways, I hope this was helpful. I know it's going to be a wall of text, but I think there's useful info in there.

EasyE

Starter
As promised, I want to talk a bit more about route running and why what Robert Woods does is such an important thing. McVay explained that Woods makes all his routes look the same. One would expect that's a pretty common thing in the NFL, but it's really not. A lot of NFL WRs have tells. The easiest tell is that some WRs run routes at different speeds based on the depth of the route. Changing speeds as a route runner can be a high level skill that some WRs master to dupe CBs. However, most WRs change speeds because they aren't refined route runners. The bad type of changing speed is when you come off the line slower on shorter routes than you do on longer routes. CBs pick up on this, especially CBs who watch a lot of film. It helps them to determine when to squat on short routes or bail to cover the longer routes. Refined route runners will sell their vertical stem aggressively off the LOS no matter what route is being run. This forces the CB to always respect the vertical route instead of squatting. However, that isn't always true in practice (I'll explain why a little later). The best route runners change their speed to deceive CBs. They know how to change the way they sell their vertical stems to bait CBs into making mistakes. This is a high level concept and very few guys in the NFL actually do it.(because not all schemes allow for it) Stevie Johnson used to be incredible at it, but Buffalo also gave him a lot of leeway to freelance in their scheme.

Another important part of making your routes all look identical is that it gives you a two-way go. You'll often hear that phrase when a HB is in the open field and a safety has to make the tackle. In that situation, a two-way go means that the HB can cut either way, and the safety must play more cautiously because he can't box the HB in. When discussing route running, it means that the WR can cut either way. It has the same benefit for route running. The CB has to play the break more cautiously if the WR can cut either way. If the CB catches the WR tipping his hand by allowing his eyes to deceive him, leaning before his break, or letting his body get in front of his feet (i.e., turning his shoulders/head before he has exploded off his plant foot), it gives him an extra step or two to break on the route and the pass. You want the CB to have no idea which way you're breaking because he won't be able to break on the route until after you've committed (after you've broken down and dropped your plant foot). That will earn you separation.

Something you'll see talented route runners do is "tilt" a DB before the break point. Here's an example of Woods doing it:

There are many ways to tilt a DB, but it basically means get the DB leaning in the opposite direction of the way you plan to break. If his momentum is taking him the wrong way, it will get you that much more open. Here, Woods does a nice job with his release off the LOS. You will see guys generally use three moves in the NFL. You have a straight release, a one-step release, and a two-step release. Here, Woods utilizes a straight release and uses his hands to keep Lane from tying him up on the LOS. After getting off the LOS, watch Woods aggressively get back onto his vertical stem and try to stack Lane. While, he's not able to totally stack Lane, he does an amazing job of using his vertical stem to tilt Lane. Watch Lane's hips and shoulders. Because Woods is leveraging his route inside, Lane opens his hips and shoulders inside. When Woods quickly breaks down and makes his speed cut outside, Lane has no ability to undercut the route or stick with Woods on the break because Lane's momentum is taking him away from where Woods is going. The other great part about this play is that Woods leveraging his route inside holds the C-2 safety inside. That gives Woods more room to work with after he makes his cut. This is a great display of route running. Leveraging your vertical stem is one way to tilt a defender. There are other ways to tilt defenders, including using a variety of subtle fakes (such as head fakes or shoulder fakes).

In addition to tilting a defender, you want your WR to be able to use his vertical stem to open up a defender's hips early. This is why it's important to make your routes look the same and aggressively sell your vertical stem. If you can get the defender to open his hips early, it'll earn you much more separation on stop routes. And if you can trick him into squatting at the wrong time, you can get him to open his hips late which will earn you separation on vertical routes. Antonio Brown is one of the masters at changing speed to get DBs to make mistakes in this regard. One such move is that Brown will come off the LOS slower than he normally does to lull the DB into squatting, and then he'll suddenly accelerate hard to scare the DB into thinking that he was trying to bait him. This will cause the DB to flip his hips and aggressively bail. At this point, Brown will break down and make his break on a stop route. When he catches the ball, the DB will be 5-10 yards up the field, and that will allow Brown to pick up yards after the catch.

Getting back to my earlier point about why WRs aggressively selling their vertical stem doesn't always create separation, this is because some WRs don't have the athletic traits to scare the CB. For example, I always used to say that Brandon Gibson was a precise route runner but not a good route runner. What I meant by this is that Gibson's routes were run in a textbook fashion. He aggressively sold his vertical stem, he ran his route to the proper depth, and he took the correct number of steps in making his break. However, Gibson lacked the vertical speed and explosiveness out of his breaks to back DBs off. Thus, despite his textbook route running, he wasn't tilting DBs or causing them to open their hips early. In addition, Gibson wasn't a creative route runner. If you lack the physical attributes to scare the DB, you have to use skill and intelligence to create separation. Gibson never had the feel for how to use subtle fakes or changes in speed to get the DB off balance. Woods has that ability.

There are two final points I want to make. Route running changes based on the coverage type and leverage. This is why it's important to have WRs who can read defenses, understand your offensive scheme, and adjust on the fly. Some offenses are more complex than others in how much reading of the defense they ask their WRs to do. The Patriots are an example of an offense that is very complex, but it also makes it very difficult to cover their WRs because of their ability to adjust on the fly to what you're doing.(if they have the right WRs for the system) Also, different schemes allow differing amounts of freedom for their WRs. A lot of offenses sync up their route concepts, QB drops, and steps in the routes. Thus, it is important for the WR to run his route to the proper depth with the proper number of steps in the proper amount of time. Improper depth could screw up the route concept or make the QB's throw look inaccurate. Improper number of steps often will lead to improper depth or improper timing. Improper timing will cause the QB to hold the ball longer or give the DB extra time to break on the route.(depending on whether the WR is early or late) Thus, it will depend on the scheme how much freedom WRs are given to incorporate changes of speed and fakes into the route. It will also depend on the WR's ability. If you're an elite WR, the QB and team will give you more freedom to use these high level skills than they will the #4 WR on the roster.

Anyways, I hope this was helpful. I know it's going to be a wall of text, but I think there's useful info in there.

thanks for the post!...much insight...thanks for the time...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm not gonna get too excited about woods until i see him play in the horns. For all the talk about a Sammy Watkins centric offense in buffalo it can't be ignored that Sammy didn't play for much of last season.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Jerry, I am excited about Woods. But I can't help but wonder why the Bill's staff didn't utilize him more last year if he has all of the route running skills that "we" on this forum believe that he has? They get paid and we don't, which makes me think they know more than we do (could be wrong about that).

I know that I have heard that the bill's system didn't allow for Wood's to get a lot of attempts, and he was 2nd fiddle to Sammy Watkins....Even so, if a guy can ball, how can an NFL OC not find a way to utilize him? If he has the great route running skills that we think he has (I am positive about this possibility), it's not like a Tavon Austin situation where the guy has talent but is hard to figure out his usage. Wood's is theoretically, a plug and play talented WR. So what do you think?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I read the criticisms, when really I didn't want to, honestly. I tried to use critical thinking skills...

Woods: They say that the Rams overpaid, yet again, for a WR that hasn't passed the 1000 yard plateau in three years (Britt-like). They give no weight to the type of system Buffalo runs, nor that he was a 2nd WR in a town that wasn't a prolific passing offense. They simply used stats to say this was a bad deal.

William Hayes: now, I love me some Hayes, mermaids and all. But does he fit in as a 3/4 DE or OLB? I believe Wade Phillips doesn't believe so, and he has the experience to know (they don't mention this). The basis of their criticism is that he has been a good player for the Rams (true), and that they traded him for a used coffee maker and a 7th. They did mention that the move cleared cap space, which I believe is true. Overall again, PFF measurements and analysis here is incomplete, and therefore suspect.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jerry, I am excited about Woods. But I can't help but wonder why the Bill's staff didn't utilize him more last year if he has all of the route running skills that "we" on this forum believe that he has? They get paid and we don't, which makes me think they know more than we do (could be wrong about that).

I know that I have heard that the bill's system didn't allow for Wood's to get a lot of attempts, and he was 2nd fiddle to Sammy Watkins....Even so, if a guy can ball, how can an NFL OC not find a way to utilize him? If he has the great route running skills that we think he has (I am positive about this possibility), it's not like a Tavon Austin situation where the guy has talent but is hard to figure out his usage. Wood's is theoretically, a plug and play talented WR. So what do you think?

The Bills barely threw the ball. Woods accounted for about 23% of their yardage in the games he played. On an average passing offense, that would have resulted in over 950 receiving yards for a 16 game season.

The Bills spread the ball around a bit, Tyrod Taylor wasn't a good fit for his skill-set, and the Bills ran the ball a lot.

Now, I'm not trying to convince you that Woods is an amazing WR. Rather, I'm saying that the circumstances were not conducive to a guy like him producing.

Of course, one can argue that the Bills had no one else when Watkins was out, and Woods has struggled to stay healthy for a full 16 games. Ultimately, it's a risky deal. We'll see how it pans out.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Bills barely threw the ball. Woods accounted for about 23% of their yardage in the games he played. On an average passing offense, that would have resulted in over 950 receiving yards for a 16 game season.

The Bills spread the ball around a bit, Tyrod Taylor wasn't a good fit for his skill-set, and the Bills ran the ball a lot.

Now, I'm not trying to convince you that Woods is an amazing WR. Rather, I'm saying that the circumstances were not conducive to a guy like him producing.

Of course, one can argue that the Bills had no one else when Watkins was out, and Woods has struggled to stay healthy for a full 16 games. Ultimately, it's a risky deal. We'll see how it pans out.

well said.

Limey

Rookie
Thanks, @jrry32 , I found your piece on Woods' route running really interesting. My reading of it is that he has the skills (as McVay highlighted) to be an excellent route runner that can gain good separation through deceiving the DBs who are trying to cover him. For this to translate into large numbers of catches and yards, not only does the QB have to actually want to throw to him, but he also needs to have the skill to put the ball in the right place at the right time. Given the quality of QB play in Buffalo during Woods' time there, it seems harsh to blame Woods for the relatively unimpressive yardage totals he achieved in his time there.

Sammy Watkins seems to be regarded as a "No 1" receiver, but his career catch to target % (153/275 = 56) is actually lower than Woods' (203/345 = 59). Watkins' average gain per catch is much higher than Woods' (16 v 12). That may be because Watkins is a more explosive receiver, or it may be that Woods' average is brought down because the Bills recognised the precision in his routes and targeted him more often on more congested short-yardage routes. I'm not skilled enough at searching game stats to figure that out.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Goff and Woods can do together in McVay's offence. I'm optimistic that the talking heads will be rating this deal a lot higher next year than they are now.

Psycho_X

Legend
Woods is what he is, a great route runner, blocker, and decent hands WR. He isn't going to be a secondary killer like Julio Jones or Antonio Brown but he'll be consistent and useful. The Patriots have won Super Bowls with those type of WRs so I'm not worried about it. Maybe we can find a premiere WR in the draft or maybe Pharoh will develop into one. But as of right now I don't have a problem with Woods providing a reliable target in a route heavy offense with Tavon playing the gadget role again. Throw in Higbee being used and coached correctly with a better o-line and I'm excited. Just need to find that elusive center now.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

They checked down a lot too, McCoy had his most receptions since his Philly days