Rams sign Wes Welker

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

maximus

Rookie
The reason they don't throw crossing routes to him frequently is very simple. Most teams don't play straight man coverage against the Rams. Therefore Austin is taken out of the game when he has to actually run a route that requires him to settle is a soft spot in the zone and become a stationary target.

Good thing they signed Welker then. He is one of the best zone-busters out there. He made a living finding the soft spot in the zone and burning teams time and again. Maybe he will teach Tavon the tricks of the trade.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Good thing they signed Welker then. He is one of the best zone-busters out there. He made a living finding the soft spot in the zone and burning teams time and again. Maybe he will teach Tavon the tricks of the trade.
I hope you're right. It's not a stretch to think it is the reasoning behind the move

But he won't have Brady or Peyton throwing him the ball in those tight windows. Which again I have yet to see Foles even attempt much less succeed at.

maximus

Rookie
I hope you're right. It's not a stretch to think it is the reasoning behind the move

But he won't have Brady or Peyton throwing him the ball in those tight windows. Which again I have yet to see Foles even attempt much less succeed at.

Funny thing is, Welker said he considers Foles one of the most underrated QBs in the league (his words), and he's excited to work with him.
I would say Welker knows a thing or two about good QBs. We will see.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Funny thing is, Welker said he considers Foles one of the most underrated QBs in the league (his words), and he's excited to work with him.
Really? What else do you think he's gonna say?

"I know he has sucked this year but this is the only team to call so here I am."

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Not exactly a glowing endorsement, Jason Peters just compared Sam Bradford to Peyton Manning a few months ago. What do you expect these guys to say.

"Holy shit Foles has been the worst I've seen, if I had to rate him I'd say putting a football on the dirt would be a better option."

maximus

Rookie
Really? What else do you think he's gonna say?

"I know he has sucked this year but this is the only team to call so here I am."

Really. He did not had to say it. He seemed genuinely excited when he said it.

And about the sucking part, I'm not so sure. He made some plays, he missed some, overall, in a new system, with new skill players, new team, with drops and fumbles, saying he sucked all year is definitely a stretch.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Really. He did not had to say it. He seemed genuinely excited when he said it.

And about the sucking part, I'm not so sure. He made some plays, he missed some, overall, in a new system, with new skill players, new team, with drops and fumbles, saying he sucked all year is definitely a stretch.
Everyone keeps claiming "he's made some plays" as if they are almost apologizing for him. Then you go on to list a litany of excuses as to why he struggles the rest of the time.

For me it's all about his lack of command in this offense. Even on balls that end up as competitions his accuracy just isn't there.

There were two completions on Sunday that are prime examples of what I'm referring to. First he throw a bubble screen to Bailey who had to jump to make the catch. If it weren't for a face mask penalty it would have been another negative play. Goes as a completion but it's a horrible throw.

Then in the same drive while bailing on the pocket and rolling to his left he finds a wide open Gurley on the sideline. He floats almost every throw he attempts and all he had to do was put the ball out in front of Gurley and he had nothing but green grass in front of him. Instead Foles throws the ball at his knees and he makes the catch falling down and goes out of bounds for a short gain. Again. It goes down as a completion but its a horribly inaccurate throw.

But in many minds he "made a play" because it was a completed pass.

I'm sorry. Foles just hasn't been good enough to make any positive difference. And all the excuses in the world won't change that. Austin Davis and Shawn Hill were better last year and that's saying a lot coming from me.

maximus

Rookie
Everyone keeps claiming "he's made some plays" as if they are almost apologizing for him. Then you go on to list a litany of excuses as to why he struggles the rest of the time.

For me it's all about his lack of command in this offense. Even on balls that end up as competitions his accuracy just isn't there.

There were two completions on Sunday that are prime examples of what I'm referring to. First he throw a bubble screen to Bailey who had to jump to make the catch. If it weren't for a face mask penalty it would have been another negative play. Goes as a completion but it's a horrible throw.

Then in the same drive while bailing on the pocket and rolling to his left he finds a wide open Gurley on the sideline. He floats almost every throw he attempts and all he had to do was put the ball out in front of Gurley and he had nothing but green grass in front of him. Instead Foles throws the ball at his knees and he makes the catch falling down and goes out of bounds for a short gain. Again. It goes down as a completion but its a horribly inaccurate throw.

But in many minds he "made a play" because it was a completed pass.

I'm sorry. Foles just hasn't been good enough to make any positive difference. And all the excuses in the world won't change that. Austin Davis and Shawn Hill were better last year and that's saying a lot coming from me.

Cool. It's not like the other QBs get bailed in every game on poor throws (even to wide open receivers). Other QBs are close to perfect every game every completion. It's not like his receivers dropped 2 well thrown deep balls against Pitt and Vikings, which would had won those games. Catch those balls, Rams sit at 6-2, not better than with Austin Davis and Shawn Hill. It's not like he threw some great balls against the Seahags and Arizona, Austin Davis and Shawn Hill would've made those throws. Cool.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Cool. It's not like the other QBs get bailed in every game on poor throws (even to wide open receivers). Other QBs are close to perfect every game every completion. It's not like his receivers dropped 2 well thrown deep balls against Pitt and Vikings, which would had won those games. Catch those balls, Rams sit at 6-2, not better than with Austin Davis and Shawn Hill. It's not like he threw some great balls against the Seahags and Arizona, Austin Davis and Shawn Hill would've made those throws. Cool.
Which well thrown deep ball are you referring to that was dropped vs the Vikings?

Are you referring to the Austin drop? The one where he had to come to a complete stop and come back to jump for? Should he have caught the ball? Sure. But please don't try to say it was a well throw ball.

maximus

Rookie
Which well thrown deep ball are you referring to that was dropped vs the Vikings?

Are you referring to the Austin drop? The one where he had to come to a complete stop and come back to jump for? Should he have caught the ball? Sure. But please don't try to say it was a well throw ball.

He come back and had to jump? Do you realize how that sounds? SMH. And that's on Foles? No wonder he sucks so much in your opinion.

So if he does not come back, then he did not had to jump for it, it would had been on his numbers? Wow. Against the wind by the way.
But that is not a well thrown ball. Sure. Well then, it is clear that in your opinion, Foles really sucks. Get back Austin Davis and Shawn Hill, they will throw it better.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
@CoachO I think people get what I like to call little giants syndrome. You know the point in the movie where the little giants celebrate after getting a yard? We are so used to being shut down in the passing game that any completion is seen as "Making a play". I don't think Foles has played particularly well.

Alan

Legend
I haven't read any posts this thread but I do not like this signing. Some people need to be protected from themselves. I'm going to feel very badly if he suffers another one while a Ram.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
He come back and had to jump? Do you realize how that sounds? SMH. And that's on Foles? No wonder he sucks so much in your opinion.

So if he does not come back, then he did not had to jump for it, it would had been on his numbers? Wow. Against the wind by the way.
But that is not a well thrown ball. Sure. Well then, it is clear that in your opinion, Foles really sucks. Get back Austin Davis and Shawn Hill, they will throw it better.
So you're ok with him just throwing the ball up into an area an expecting WRs to slow down or alter their route or have to reach behind them or jump just to get their hands on the ball. Then it goes down as a drop. Not a horribly inaccurate throw.

Now that I know what your standards are. I understand why you think he's really good.

maximus

Rookie
So you're ok with him just throwing the ball up into an area an expecting WRs to slow down or alter their route or have to reach behind them or jump just to get their hands on the ball. Then it goes down as a drop. Not a horribly inaccurate throw.

Now that I know what your standards are. I understand why you think he's really good.

I can also understand what your standards are. You claim he had to come back and jump? And that's on Foles? Great logic.

Once again, if he did not came back, a sound logic says he would not have had to jump. The ball was right on him. I understand why you think he sucks. SMH.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Love the Welker signing and hope for the best. I haven't really posted since the loss because I am just plain bugged.
I do want to commend Fisher on his composure during the press conference he impresses me during his time at the podium and love the way he neutralizes the Rodney Harrison comments.
Now get more aggressive Fish and get us some more offensive weapons.

jjab360

Legend

Jesus Christ man, he was escaping pressure on that play, throwing against his body, and throwing against the wind. And the reason that Tavon was coming back to the ball was because it was basically a scramble drill at that point. Foles put it right on him and had he caught it with the DB falling behind him, it probably would've been a TD and the biggest play of the game.

How about a little objectivity and realistic expectations, my god...