Rams sign Tim Barnes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok, I get it. We now have plenty of depth, and back ups.
Is it ok for me to still be concerned that we are still in need of 3 starters?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The thing is, for me anyway, is most fans look at a player like Barnes, and only see the player he has been to this point in his career. While I understand that's the only point of reference they have, Tim Barnes is the perfect example of a player who DEVELOPS into a very good NFL lineman, and he is right on schedule in both timing and experience to have that happen.
Man. I hope so....As a fan, I was never really down on Barnes...At least the coaches trusted him enough to actually start some games...but his appearances in 2013 didn't show me much...I hoped he would do better at Seattle, but I figured he'd struggled. I assumed his lack of PT in 2014 was because of those games in 2013...So, I hope Barnes is the answer to the center position in 2015...

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Man. I hope so....As a fan, I was never really down on Barnes...At least the coaches trusted him enough to actually start some games...but his appearances in 2013 didn't show me much...I hoped he would do better at Seattle, but I figured he'd struggled. I assumed his lack of PT in 2014 was because of those games in 2013...So, I hope Barnes is the answer to the center position in 2015...
All I can say to you about Tim Barnes today vs. the Tim Barnes you saw in those last 4 games in 2013, is much bigger, stronger and is obviously another year experienced.

The part of 2014 that most people are just not taking into account is how banged up he was. With Wells not being able to practice at all the first 3 weeks of training camp, and then Jones going down after only a week, Barnes and Rhaney were the only two healthy Centers on the roster. Barnes too virtually EVERY 1st AND 2nd unit rep in training camp, which took its toll.

He pinched a nerve in his neck around the second week of camp, and he toughed it out still taking all the reps. Then he hurt his shoulder, which did in fact cause him to miss almost a full week of practice. That's when they were forced to work Mike Person it at Center just to be able to practice. Eventually Wells got back to the point he could participate, albeit at less than an optimal weight. But he was still the best option at that point.

Once the season got started, Barnes was active and participating on both Special Teams (FG/XP Unit, and Kickoff Return), as well as being the primary addition on the "Jumbo" (short yardage/goalline ) package. He got hurt in the first SF game, with pretty bad bruised ribs, and it lingered for the rest of the season.

With all that being said, he is physically not that same player you saw at the end of 2013. He came into camp last year and for the first time since he has been a Ram, looked the part of an NFL lineman. No reason to think that won't continue.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

I know for a fact they were never really in fear of losing him. They had been in contact with him from the outset, and his first choice was to be back here. Unless another team blew him away with an offer, this was where he was going to all along.

At some point, we as fans have to realize that in the majority of cases, these teams know what the market will be on these guys. Barnes is one of the mid level guys in the big picture, but you only have to look as far as the Barksdale situation. The Rams had a pretty good feel and understanding what the market would be for Barksdale, and when his agent over valued him, the rest of the league saw it for what it is.

Now, that the initial phase has passed, and no one bit on the inflated number, he is most likely to come back for what they expected to begin with.

Yes, it could always back fire on them, but in Barnes' case, IMO, they have a pretty good handle on it. I also have never said he is a lock to be the starter. But they have kept him around for 4 years now, so they obviously see something they like about him.

It was merely me stating my opinion regarding where I think he is in his career and development. And I also said, provided they don't sign a significant Fee Agent, he would have to be considered the front runner given the options at this time.