Rams sign LB Carlos Thompson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He played DE in I believe a 4-3 in college. We don't have much behind Barwin and Quinn so likely a depth guy or ST guy. Hard to tell at this point.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/849594001011462144

25 year old rookie UDFA last year with the Texans only played in 2 games.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/carlos-thompson?id=2553284

Analysis
Strengths
Comes off the snap in position to snap his hips and fire under the pads of blockers. Shows a willingness to be physical at point of attack against fullbacks or tight ends when setting the edge as stand-up linebacker. Was asked to drop into space at times. Reads play-action quickly. Consistent motor in pursuit of the play.
Weaknesses
Duck-footed with tapered lower body that fails him in the strength department when asked to battle tackles. Slow reaction off the snap and equally slow twitch as an athlete. Will show a bull rush and some very basic hand usage, but not enough pass-rushing acumen to threaten the edge. Marginal change of direction in space.
Draft Projection
Undrafted
Bottom Line
Rotational defensive end who was slightly better when standing than with a hand on the ground. Slow to fire upfield off the snap and lacks the quickness around the corner and talent with his hands to be an NFL pass rusher. Relies on effort, but that might not be enough in the NFL.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
He played DE in I believe a 4-3 in college. We don't have much behind Barwin and Quinn so likely a depth guy or ST guy. Hard to tell at this point.

Your 100% correct here on the current situation with McVay's defensive roster weakness with our 34 OSLB'ers. I have been of the long time opinion that it is much much easier to find good pass rushing edge 34 OSLB'ers on the 3rd day of the draft than to find good first day 43 DE's. Wade has a great history of finding & raising up some serious GOLD nuggets!

Psycho_X

Legend
Sounds like a situational linebacker for goalline/run downs and general depth. Obviously need that for 3-4 LBers. I'm sure he'll be competing against a dozen in camp so will see.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
His Pro Day numbers:
Date:
03/05/15
Height: 6042
Weight: 252
40 Yrd Dash: 4.76
20 Yrd Dash: 2.76
10 Yrd Dash: 1.68
Vertical Jump: 38
Broad Jump: 10'03"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.54
3-Cone Drill: 7.51

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Depth guy, might be able to get some Darren Bates development out of him at best.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Here's something from Ole Miss pro day when he was coming out.
One relatively unknown prospect was really impressive to the scouts present at Ole Miss' pro day.Defensive end Carlos Thompson (6-4 1/4, 252) ran the 40 in 4.75 and 4.77 seconds. He had a 38-inch vertical jump and 10-foot-3 broad jump. He did the 20-yard short shuttle in 4.54 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.51 seconds. Thompson recorded 1.5 sacks in limited playing time while at Ole Miss, but might have had so impressive of a pro-day workout that he could get drafted as a pass-rushing prospect. At worst, Thompson will be a priority free-agent pickup for an NFL team following the 2015 NFL Draft.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Hopefully it's one of those under the radar moves that surprises.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
That makes 76 signed with seven draft picks = 83 players under contract.
Expect seven more to be signed before camp for the mandatory 90 players.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That makes 76 signed with seven draft picks = 83 players under contract.
Expect seven more to be signed before camp for the mandatory 90 players.
Not necessarily! You're not accounting for UDFA, I'd say they're about done with the free agents.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
From PARAM's source above: "Thompson recorded 1.5 sacks in limited playing time while at Ole Miss,..." Seems he was never a starter. And, it's not like Ole Miss graduated a lot of defenders to the NFL in 2015. He was a back up as a Junior, and then as Senior was beat out by Fadol Brown, a transer from FIU. I understand signing him for depth, but I don't have high expectations.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

You l was looking on The Rams web-site yesterday. It had Robert Quinn listed as a LB which I thought was cool .

Forrest is a question mark.