Rams sign Lance Dunbar to one year deal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Should we now expect Austin to be our returner on both punts & kick-offs ?

Not sure I trust TAs judgement on kick-off returns. If he would just get upfield instead of dancing side to side he could be real dangerous on kick-offs.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
May end up with one of this years rookies as a returner if they draft a WR or CB with return ability although kickoffs normally require a player with a sturdier build then a cb/wr.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...role-for-previously-underused-rb-lance-dunbar

Rams see a role for previously underused Lance Dunbar

LOS ANGELES -- Sean McVay's words resonated with Lance Dunbar.

The free-agent running back was in Southern California for a visit last week and sat down with McVay, the Los Angeles Rams' rookie head coach, who walked Dunbar through his potential role in the offense. McVay wound up describing the way Dunbar always saw himself while buried in the Dallas Cowboys' depth chart. He illustrated Dunbar's traits the way Dunbar himself would recount them to someone else.

"He had me going," Dunbar said. "He had me ready to play."

Dunbar ultimately signed with the Rams on a one-year contract that could pay him up to $3 million. He will be the Rams' change-of-pace running back, a complement for the power game of Todd Gurley, and he will also be an option in the passing game. The name "Chris Thompson" came up during Dunbar's meeting with McVay, which makes sense.

Over the past two years, while McVay called plays as the Washington Redskins' offensive coordinator, Thompson found a way to be productive despite finding himself behind backs such as Alfred Morris, Robert Kelley and Matt Jones in rushing attempts. From 2015 to 2016, Thompson rushed for 572 yards on 103 attempts and caught for 589 yards on 84 catches.

Thompson, like Dunbar, boasts blazing speed, so the Redskins frequently ran him to the outside. Like on the play below, out of the pistol formation against the Detroit Lions, when Thompson ultimately got around the edge for a 16-yard gain:

Kirk Cousins picked up a blitz and got rid of it quickly to Thompson, who picked up 11 yards before getting pushed out of bounds:

Oakland Raiders late in 2013, rushing for 82 yards on 12 carries, but also sustained a knee injury that forced him to miss the final four games. He was on his way toward carving out a role in 2015, with 21 receptions for 215 yards through the first three games, but he tore his ACL, MCL and patellar tendon on a kickoff return.

"It was really hard," Dunbar said. "Just throughout my career, every time I got an opportunity -- and I made the best of it -- something bad goes wrong."

Dunbar was ready to go by the start of the 2016 season, returning a lot sooner than expected, but he never felt right. He admitted to rushing his way back and said he didn't really feel right until about midway through the season. By then, Ezekiel Elliott was well on his way toward a dominant rookie season and the Cowboys' offense was rolling without him. Dunbar never had a chance, and now he's starting fresh.

He believes his style can complement Gurley.

"My style is different than his," Dunbar said. "I'm more of a slasher, making guys miss, catching the ball out of the backfield. We have two different styles. If you mix my style with his style, it brings a lot to the table. It's hard for people to keep switching up, switching up, because it's very different. In-game, when I come in, you're going to have to adjust. And it's kind of hard to adjust in-game."