Rams sign Justice Cunningham

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams have released Brad Smelley and signed Justice Cunningham, another TE. Good-bye Smelley and all of your Smelley jokes.....I am glad we no longer have to endure that.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_576220ea-da16-5a74-ae03-4a1a76bfc012.html

MR. IRRELEVANT
Tight end Justice Cunningham, who by virtue of being the last player taken in the 2013 NFL draft was Mr. Irrelevant, was signed to the Rams’ practice squad. Cunningham replaced tight end Brad Smelley, who was with the Rams for only one day.
It was tough news obviously for Smelley, but the Rams liked Cunningham entering the draft so they moved quickly to sign him once he became available.
“I know during the draft, they showed the most interest of everybody,” Cunningham said after his first Rams practice Thursday.
The Rams didn’t have a pick after the fifth round after trading up for Stacy. Cunningham was taken in the seventh round, No. 254 overall, by Indianapolis. Cunningham had spent this season on the Colts’ practice squad but was promoted to their active roster last week and played fullback against Arizona in place of the injured Stanley Havili. He caught one pass for 4 yards.
Cunningham, 6 feet 3, 258 pounds, was released at the start of this week. The Colts wanted to re-sign him to their practice squad. But on the advice of his agent, he signed with the Rams, thinking it would be a better opportunity.
Cunningham didn’t arrive in St. Louis until 10 p.m. Wednesday, and he was hoping to hook up with fellow University of South Carolina product Jared Cook to have Thanksgiving dinner.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Maybe he can be a good influence on Cook in the blocking department!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Nice move by the Rams... Getting a guy they liked late in the draft after all.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I feel this signing is justified. Here we go....

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Good bye Brad Smelly, we hardly knew you.

Pig-Pen.gif

…..

Legend
If we need a TE....why don't we just go with Lutzenkirchen? He's already familiar with the offense.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If we need a TE....why don't we just go with Lutzenkirchen? He's already familiar with the offense.

I just checked; he is available.

Rams must have seen enough.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I wanted the Rams to pick up this guy late in the draft last year or as an UDFA, obviously didn't happen but glad we get a shot at him now. Though i did like what i saw from Lutzenkirchen when we had him. Oh well. Rams know best.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
What is the deal with all these TE's and FB types? We are THIN at CB. THAT is what they should be bringing in!

Lesson

Oh, really?
What is the deal with all these TE's and FB types? We are THIN at CB. THAT is what they should be bringing in!

I don't think there is a DB that proved to be adequate in the preseason that's familiar with the Rams scheme that is currently a FA.
The Rams don't really need a TE and are set at TE even if a guy goes down. At DB, all the guys that played with the Rams in the preseason and played adequately are on the roster currently or practice squad. If another guy goes down, I think Woodard would be signed off the practice squad. Currently, the Rams can get by with what they have, IMO. Just move McLeod to corner and have McDonald and Giordano/Stewart at S.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
To be honest...I know there were a handful of other people that saw him at camp and liked what they saw...when I was there I didn't see anything at all. He looked like just a guy.

…..

Legend
To be honest...I know there were a handful of other people that saw him at camp and liked what they saw...when I was there I didn't see anything at all. He looked like just a guy.

Well he went to high school just down the street from me in Montgomery Alabama Then went to Auburn, so he's kinda like a local product we had hoped would do good. Thus my interest. He's a very decent pass catcher.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

WOW,, you are in full blown "make stuff up" mode today.

They added him to the PRACTICE SQUAD people. He is a FB/TE type player. With the renewed commitment to multiple TE sets, and given that Kendricks has a broken finger, do you think that maybe its so they have someone to take some of the reps so they aren't short during the week?

As far as adding Lutzenkirchen, he was strictly a pass catching TE. Virtually the same player they already have in McNeil. By adding Smelley, and then replacing him the next day with someone they liked better as a BLOCKING FB type, I would say they are looking to add depth to the PRACTICE SQUAD to fill the opening after calling up Pointer.

A55VA6

Legend
He's a pretty good player, I'm surprised he was available. For the guys that want Lutzenkirchen, he lacks the blocking skills and I think the Rams prefer a guy who can block really well and Cunningham fits that role.