Rams sign Jared Goff along with all their other picks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/09/jared-goff-expected-to-sign-with-rams-today/

Jared Goff expected to sign with Rams today
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 9, 2016

528684394-e1464777730456.jpg
Getty Images

The first pick off the board is about to sign.

Rams quarterback Jared Goff is expected to sign his contract today, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports. PFT has been told that the deal has been in place for weeks.

It’s a four-year, $27.9 million guaranteed deal, with an $18.5 million signing bonus, all determined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement, which has eliminated holdouts for high draft picks.

Goff is expected to beat out Case Keenum and emerge as the Week One starter in Los Angeles. The Rams didn’t move up to first overall in the draft to leave Goff on the bench.

Now the contract part is done and Goff can focus completely on earning his starting job.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Does this mean that all the other picks will sign today too? That's how Snisher has done it in recent years. All at the same time once they've had the lecture about money etc

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It’s a four-year, $27.9 million guaranteed deal, with an $18.5 million signing bonus, all determined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement, which has eliminated holdouts for high draft picks.
Why not "Lock him up" for 5 years!?! Or do they have a 5th year option!?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First rounders get a 4 year contract, and teams can tender them basically a year before it expires for a 5th year. They just tendered Austin, for instance, so he's under contract for the 4th year he already had plus an additional year.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-jared-goff-along-with-all-their-other-picks/

Rams sign Jared Goff along with all their other picks
Posted by Josh Alper on June 9, 2016

The Rams take their time when it comes to signing draft picks, but they don’t stretch the process out once it gets started.

News came Thursday morning that the Rams would sign first overall pick Jared Goff before the day was out and the Rams made it official in the afternoon. The announcement that Goff was under contract came shortly after the team announced that the other five members of the 2016 draft class had agreed to their deals.

The other five are fourth-round tight end Tyler Higbee, fourth-round wide receiver Pharoh Cooper, sixth-round tight endTemarrick Hemingway, sixth-round linebacker Josh Forrestand sixth-round wide receiver Michael Thomas. All five signed four-year deals while Goff’s contract comes with a team option for a fifth year.

If the Rams don’t wind up exercising that option or extend Goff before it kicks in, things won’t have gone as planned in Los Angeles. While the Rams hope some of the other rookies thrive as professionals, they traded up to get Goff in hopes that he’ll be the starting quarterback for many successful years.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Lol, I just left the thread about Goff expected to sign today. If only I had gottten home 2 minutes later.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Welcome aboard, officially, draft class of 2016!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lol, I just left the thread about Goff expected to sign today. If only I had gottten home 2 minutes later.

Same thread, different title. You snooze, you lose. ;)

RamzFanz

Damnit
Goff is expected to beat out Case Keenum and emerge as the Week One starter in Los Angeles.

Often stated, never supported. Expected by whom and where's the quote? Just by the talking heads? Fans?

Not that he couldn't but it's waaaaaaaaaay too early to predict how game one will shake out.

Assuming a veteran starter that knows the offense, has run this offense, and has a winning record will be supplanted by a rookie, no matter the talent level, game one, is not a good bet at this point.

Last edited:

JC-3

UDFA
Name
JC-3
Often stated, never supported. Expected by whom and where's the quote? Just by the talking heads? Fans?

Not that he couldn't but it's waaaaaaaaaay too early to predict how game one will shake out.

Assuming a veteran starter that knows the offense, has run this offense, and has a winning record will be supplanted by a rookie, no matter the talent level, game one, is not a good bet at this point.

Isn't it a new offense? Weren't there articles quoting Fisher saying that everyone at QB is learning the new playbook?

So how would Keenum have an advantage over Goff based off of "knowing the offense" ?

Who's quicker to learn, a veteran with bad habits or young raw talent with a seemingly "Skys-the-limit" potential?

RamzFanz

Damnit
Isn't it a new offense? Weren't there articles quoting Fisher saying that everyone at QB is learning the new playbook?

So how would Keenum have an advantage over Goff based off of "knowing the offense" ?

Who's quicker to learn, a veteran with bad habits or young raw talent with a seemingly "Skys-the-limit" potential?

I'll go with the guy who has experience learning new NFL offenses.

Goff is a smart kid and maybe he'll have it nailed by game one and he's chosen as the starter. That's all hope though. Many college QBs take awhile to absorb NFL systems to a point that they can control the game. They aren't just going to go lay an egg on Monday Night Football in a division game if he's not ready. They may STILL lay an egg, obviously, but they'll go with whoever gives them the best chance.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I meant no offence, I was just stating what I thought would be a better deal for the team.
This is how the new cba is. All first round contracts are 4 years with a 5th year option(I believe). Price is pretty much set to for most part. Signing bonus is the biggest difference from 1st overall to 32nd I think. So don't think it was possible to sign him for 5 years.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This is how the new cba is. All first round contracts are 4 years with a 5th year option(I believe). Price is pretty much set to for most part. Signing bonus is the biggest difference from 1st overall to 32nd I think. So don't think it was possible to sign him for 5 years.

I don't know if the 5th year option goes all the way to the bottom of the first round, it may have a cut off somewhere in the middle.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I don't know if the 5th year option goes all the way to the bottom of the first round, it may have a cut off somewhere in the middle.
Always thought it was any first rounder. Ogletree was a late 1st rounder(30th overall) and got his 5th year option picked up.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's possible that Goff doesn't start Week One on Monday Night Football, unless Fisher is blown away by the kid. Think of what a night it would be..what a coming out party for Jared Goff if he lit up our oldest rivals at their House on MNF?

That's the Dream.

But Case Keenum is a veteran QB that has faced fast NFL defenses and had a winning record last year as a starting QB. Fisher has always liked starting veterans in general , but who knows? Ho many #1 Overall franchise QB's (that he wanted) has Fish had on his roster for week one?