Rams sign Hekker to 6-year, 18M extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Do punters have a history of their play falling off a cliff? Because otherwise it was an awesome deal for a freaking All Pro. freak Rotoworld.
I ordinarily despise this expression, but here it's appropriate...

Haters gonna hate...

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
From UDFA (idk how the hell that happened) to Pro Bowl, record-setting punter. Not to mention all of his successful fakes throughout his career. Invaluable punter. Well deserved! #PuntersArePeopleToo

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
From UDFA (idk how the hell that happened) to Pro Bowl, record-setting punter. Not to mention all of his successful fakes throughout his career. Invaluable punter. Well deserved! #PuntersArePeopleToo
Not only UDFA, but UDFA in a draft where another punter went 3rd round.

I doubt Anger's 2nd contract will be that good.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
DAYUM!!!! So, what's Barksdale worth? Or is he not in the master plan????
Hekker was primed & willing so were the Rams! Hey Joe there's only so much $$$ out there available Joe Barksdale better think on it! Lets getter done.....Joe:coach:

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Haha me neither. I had a young woman that worked for me many years ago set up a facebook account for me and I think I logged on once in 2009 maybe.

I don't understand the whole fascination with it. It's like the Emperors new clothes.

I've had a Facebook account since you had to be in college to be able to sign up.

But I've never understood twitter. You get like one sentence to express yourself. I need more than that.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I've had a Facebook account since you had to be in college to be able to sign up.

But I've never understood twitter. You get like one sentence to express yourself. I need more than that.
#soundbitenation

RamBill

Legend
Rams sign Hekker to 6-year extension
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_55906d0b-a8f8-5f2d-8412-6a57f862b432.html

The Rams announced Friday that punter Johnny Hekker has signed a six-year $18 million contract extension that will keep him with the team through the 2020 season. Hekker, signed as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2012, was scheduled to become a restricted free agent at the end of this season.

The extension features a $750,000 signing bonus and $9 million of it is guaranteed.

In three pro seasons, he's established himself as one of the league's premier special-teams players, with his foot and his arm. A year ago, the 24-year-old Oregon State product earned All-Pro and Pro Bowl recognition after setting an NFL single-season record with a 44.2 net punting average.

Hekker's career net average of 41.9 is third-best in the league since he arrived and opponents are averaging just 6.7 per return, the second-lowest mark in the league since he joined the Rams. His 41.4 net average this year ranks sixth in the NFL.

The Rams have also benefited from Hekker's ability to pass. An ex-quarterback from Bothell (Wash.) High has completed five of six passes as for 79 yards and a touchdown against in 2012. His passer rating is 158.3.

RAMS FINISH PRACTICE IN THE RAIN

The Rams started Friday's workout indoors and finished outdoors in the rain. All part of the plan to prepare for Sunday's noon game in Washington D.C. against the Redskins.

“The forecast earlier in the week was that there was a very good chance for showers throughout the day (Sunday), but as the week went on, it looks like there's a pretty good chance it will have pushed through,'' Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “Nonetheless, it's still a good experience to go out there and get the point across because there's really no telling what the conditions of the surface will be. I'm sure it will be covered and all that, but the guys need to know they can't slip.''

The Rams, 5-7 and coming off a 52-0 blowout win over visiting Oakland, are about as healthy as they've been all season. Of the nine players on Friday's injury report, seven went through full practices. The exceptions: wide receiver Tavon Austin, who was limited due to a back issue and defensive end William Hayes, who absence is not injury related.

Others on the injury report are linebacker James Laurinaitis (ankle), guard Rodger Saffold (shoulder), defensive end Chris Long (ankle), linebacker Will Herring (foot) and cornerback Marcus Roberson (ankle).

Center Scott Wells and guard Davin Joseph sat out practices for not-injury-related reasons earlier in the week.

“Everybody on the list is probable for Sunday, which is good,'' Fisher said.

It's a little different story for the 3-9 Redskins, who are looking to snap their second four-game losing streak of the season. Their 13-player injury report features five players who did not practice Friday. Defensive lineman Kedric Golston (foot/back) and cornerback Chase Minnifield (concussion) are out, receiver DeSean Jackson (shin) and linebacker Keenan Robinson (knee) are questionable and safety Brandon Meriweather (toe) is doubtful.

Defensive end Jason Hatcher (knee), defensive lineman Chris Baker (chest) and cornerback E.J. Biggers (concussion) were limited Friday and are questionable to face the Rams. Listed as probable after practicing on Friday are safety Ryan Clark (stinger), linebacker Ryan Kerrigan (wrist), tackle Tyler Polumbus (not injury related) and linebacker Will Compton (stinger).

Compton starred in high school at North County High in Bonne Terre and at the University of Nebraska before signing with the Redskins as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2013. He spent most of last season on the practice squad but made his pro debut in a Dec. 29 loss to the New York Giants.

This season, he's played in 12 games, making a pair of starts, and has recorded 20 tackles.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Do punters have a history of their play falling off a cliff? Because otherwise it was an awesome deal for a freaking All Pro. freak Rotoworld.

And how many punters can throw a perfect pass consistently on fourth down? He's the ice man with the game on the line.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Top notch. Any other punter and I'd be sideeying Fisher. Hekker definitely deserves it and then some.

Memphis Ram

Legend
muE7b.gif

RamBill

Legend
Rams sign Hekker to 6-year extension
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_daf5956e-f2f9-5fa3-8111-d822d6c40be2.html

The Rams had two players selected to the Pro Bowl last season, and now both have been locked up via long-term contracts.

In signing a six-year, $18 million extension Friday, punter Johnny Hekker is under contract with the Rams through 2020.

The team’s other 2013 Pro Bowler, defensive end Robert Quinn, was signed to a four-year, $65.5 million extension (with $41.2 million guaranteed) on Sept. 13 that keeps him under contract through the 2019 season.

While Quinn’s original contract wasn’t scheduled to expire until after the 2015 season, Hekker was scheduled for restricted free agency after this season.

“We’re real excited about that,” coach Jeff Fisher said Friday, referring to Hekker’s deal. “He’s going to be our punter, and passer, for a long time.”

Fisher laughed at the last part of his comment, but Hekker’s passing ability on fake punts and fake field goals (as the Rams’ holder) is no joke. It brings an added dimension to his game.

Fisher loves trick plays, especially on special teams. A former high school quarterback, Hekker has completed five of six career passes in the NFL as he winds down his third pro season, good for 79 yards, one touchdown and a perfect passer rating of 158.3.

Fisher said there are plenty of trick plays left in the playbook for Hekker.

“Oh yeah,” Fisher said. “We’ve got plenty. Actually, we’ve got some work to do. We’ve got to keep loading up that playbook of his.”

But obviously, it’s Hekker’s skill as a punter that got him his big contract, one that includes $9 million in guaranteed money — an NFL record for a punter. Among that guaranteed money is a signing bonus of a little more than $750,000.

Otherwise, his money for 2014 does not change. With the signing bonus deducted from the Rams’ 2014 salary cap, the team has less than $200,000 of cap space remaining for the year.

“I’m not sure this is the kind of thing that really sinks in,” Hekker said. “It’s just such a blessing to be considered for an extension, and to have the opportunity to stick with an organization for this long and to potentially be a Ram for nine years.

“That means a lot to me, and my family, and everyone that’s supported me to this moment in my life. I think this is really a big moment, but in no way is this deterring me from still wanting to be the best punter ever. So I’ve got to really give this team their money’s worth.”

Hekker earned Pro Bowl and All-Pro honors in 2013 after setting an NFL single-season record for net punting average (44.2 yards). His gross, or overall, average in 2013 was 46.3 yards a punt.

Through 12 games this season, Hekker’s 41.4 net average ranks sixth in the NFL. His overall average of 45.7 yards is tied for 14th.

His career net average of 41.9 yards per punt is third-best in the league since he joined the Rams as an undrafted rookie out of Oregon State in 2012.

“During the (pre-draft) evaluation process when we came in here, obviously he was a tremendous athlete,” Fisher said. “People were talking about how he dunks the basketball and does all that, and then his ability to throw the football and what he’d done in high school and (college).

“That’s the kind of guy that we want back there running the punt team for us. He’s got a great group of teammates around him. He’s got a really fine long snapper (Jake McQuaide), and he’s got a lot of good years ahead of him.”

The Rams actually began working on an extension last spring. But there were starts and stops in the process. After Quinn’s deal got done in September, Hekker said he got a feeling that he might be next in line.

“Getting this thing done was kind of a laborious process, but they did a great job,” Hekker said.

All things considered, it’s been a laborious process for Hekker to reach this point, and this level of security.

“I scratched and clawed for that first contract just to get in the league,” Hekker said. “Just as I scratched and clawed in college to earn a scholarship. And I’m not gonna stop that train of thought. There’s still a lot of work to go ... to be worthy of this contract.”

The days are long gone when you could get an established punter for $1 million a year or so. A contract averaging $3 million a year for a punter may sound like a lot, but consider this: The 2014 transition number, or yearly average of the 10 highest-paid punters and place-kickers, was over $3.2 million.

So while Hekker’s contract puts him in the high-rent district for his position, he’s certainly not at the top of the list.

“It’s awesome when you get paid like that to kick a football,” place-kicker Greg Zuerlein said. “I love Johnny to death. I’m so happy for him. It couldn’t happen to a better guy. He works hard.”

The punter, place-kicker, and long snapper are always a tight-knit trio on any team, but that’s especially the case with Hekker, Zuerlein, and McQuaide.

When asked if he should at least buy Zuerlein and McQuaide a nice dinner now that he’s a millionaire, Hekker replied: “They’ll get more than a dinner, yeah.”

“I think he’s probably jerking your chain a little bit,” Zuerlein said, laughing loudly. “I don’t know. I don’t think we’ll ask him for anything.”

Except for long, high punts — and the occasional pass.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
With hekker's personality you have to assume that he plays a big part in the positive locker room atmosphere the rams seem to have. That's worth something in itself even before taking his probowl standard play into account

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
People who follow the Rams know how valuable he is to our team. If we're going to be a team built on defense and ball control, then we have to have a punter who can change field position. Plus he just seems like an awesome guy. I'm glad he'll be a Ram for the foreseeable future

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
And how many punters can throw a perfect pass consistently on fourth down? He's the ice man with the game on the line.
And Fisher said, in his presser, that they were filling-up Hekker's play book!:LOL: