1. To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams Sign former FSU CB Greg Reid

Discussion in 'RAMS - NFL TALK' started by Memphis Ram, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Faceplant

Faceplant Well-Known Member

Credit:
    $3,072,350.19
    If he ran a legit 4.37, then speed most definitely is NOT an issue with this kid, haha. Top end maybe, but wow that is quick for a nickel CB in the slot.
  2. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Credit:
    $2,205,613.24
    Veltung cannot be replaced by a shrimp.

Just saying.
  3. rhinobean

rhinobean Well-Known Member

Credit:
    $435,994.95
    Like to see the Rams trade up after a trade down in 1st. to get Dennard! He's the replacement for Finnegan!
  4. fearsomefour

fearsomefour Well-Known Member

Credit:
    $3,690,503.12
    Thanks for all the info.
    The reality is the Rams need depth at CB. So if this guy ends up being the #5 emergency CB and contributes as a returned, so be it.
    Nothing negative about this signing at all. Like an extra draft pick.
    BonifayRam likes this.
  5. jjab360

jjab360 Well-Known Member

Credit:
    $3,810.08
    Eh? Since when does size matter for a returner?

Obviously, we have a pretty prime example to the contrary already on our team in TA, but he's just one example of many around the league.
  6. nighttrain

nighttrain Well-Known Member

Credit:
    $3,040,276.91
    With possibilities.....
    train
  7. The Bus

The Bus New Member

Credit:
    $84,245.00
    Name:
    Chad
    a 4.5 40... is basically as fast as a 4.3 40... the boys quick.. I'm happy at this pick up, dennard still needs to be picked up and ill start to feel better with our secondarys..
  8. Ramrasta

Ramrasta The Knight Owl

Credit:
    $3,570,072.13
    Name:
    Tyler
    I'm not saying Veltung is terrible but he just isn't an all-star. Reid was among the best of the best when it came to returning kicks and he was a promising CB. We could save a roster spot at KR/PR while adding depth in the secondary = killing two birds with one stone
  9. nighttrain

nighttrain Well-Known Member

Credit:
    $3,040,276.91
    I think you covered it amigo, if Reid stays healthy I believe we just robbed a cookie jar
    train
    Dagonet likes this.
  10. Boston Ram

Boston Ram Well-Known Member

Credit:
    $2,682,928.96
    If he is healthy and has his head on straight, he is a legit player and someone how would of been a high draft pick if he stayed the course.
  11. mr.stlouis

mr.stlouis Well-Known Member

Credit:
    $5,254,110.18
    Name:
    Nick
    You know we're a desperate bunch when one UDFA gets 90 replies!!
    Mojo Ram and laramsoriginal like this.
  12. Tron

Tron Fights for the User

Credit:
    $749,314.57
    Name:
    Fitz
    We're Ram fans, what do you expect???:welcome:
    Dagonet likes this.
  13. mr.stlouis

mr.stlouis Well-Known Member

Credit:
    $5,254,110.18
    Name:
    Nick
    Yeah, the next Ron Bartell is always right around the corner. ;)
  14. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Credit:
    $2,205,613.24
    Your logic is unassailable and I'm changing my stance to "Veltung cannot be replaced by anyone". There, good to go now. :)
  15. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Credit:
    $2,205,613.24
    Veltung is chock full of intangibles. I'd go into more detail but as they're intangibles they're not, you know, tangible. :)
    I want his jersey too. When it becomes available that is.
  16. A55VA6

A55VA6 Playoffs?

Credit:
    $4,463,295.74
    I heard this kid was a straight out playmaker before injuries and crap. Hopefully he can be something good for us.
    Boston Ram likes this.
  17. The Rammer

The Rammer ESPN Draft Guru

Credit:
    $1,571.89
    Name:
    Rick
    Damn this dude could be a stunt double for the Munchkins in the old Wizard of OZ of OZ movie... :eek:
  18. RamBill

RamBill Well-Known Member

Credit:
    $5,386,595.98
    Rams take a chance on CB Greg Reid
    By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/6998/rams-take-a-chance-on-cb-greg-reid

The St. Louis Rams finally signed an outside free agent, adding former Florida State cornerback/punt returner Greg Reid over the weekend.

Reid announced that he had signed with the team on his Facebook account Sunday, saying he was "proud to be in the Rams organization." ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter confirmed the move with a source Monday afternoon.

Of course, the addition of Reid isn't exactly the type of signing that should move the needle much for Rams fans waiting for the team to add a free agent of significance. Reid hasn't played in a game since 2011. Florida State dismissed Reid from the team in 2012 because of a violation of team rules and transferred to Valdosta State, a Division II school.

Reid suffered an ACL injury that prevented him from playing his senior season and required two surgeries since August 2012, the second of which came in May of last year. Nursing that injury, Reid has spent the past year-plus rehabilitating. Finally back to health, Reid participated in Florida State's pro day on March 18 and apparently did enough to impress scouts in attendance.

In comments to ESPN's Florida State/ACC reporter Jared Shanker, Reid was pleased with his performance.

“I was pleased to come out and show NFL coaches how I was doing and how far I’ve came,” Reid said. “I’m healthy and everything is going in the right track.”

The Rams have an obvious need for help at corner, particularly at nickel after releasing Cortland Finnegan and opting to let Quinton Pointer depart. Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson are the starters with Brandon McGee the only other corner returning to the mix.

In an ideal world, Reid could come in and earn a place as a potential nickel corner with the ability to chip in as a punt returner behind Tavon Austin. In fact, Reid was dynamic as a returner in college and probably is more likely to make a difference in that regard in the NFL.

All told, it's hard to peg this signing as anything more than the Rams taking a flier on a player with some upside attempting to return from injury. If it works out, it's a nice find, but chances are Reid will have an uphill climb to make the roster.
  19. RamFan503

RamFan503 Grill and Brew Master

Credit:
    $3,852,822.34
    Name:
    Stu
    What kind of compromising pictures does that kid have on you Alan? Are THEY tangible?
    Tron likes this.
  20. Stranger

Stranger How big is infinity?

Credit:
    $1,624,694.25
    Name:
    Hugh
    EXACTLY!!!

I figure ONLY the ones who threaten to expose the depth of corruption are the ones who get thrown off. The rest get away with just about anything they want, as long as they play along. Anyway, this is merely supposition on my part. I don't have any proof to back it up except for the fact that this is the way corporate america works in all other industry sectors.