Rams sign backup long snapper Andrew East

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/3...east-super-bowl-dynasty-greatest-snap-on-turf

LA Rams Solidify Super Bowl Trajectory By Signing Backup Long Snapper Andrew East
6 New, 6 comments
The Rams might not have been oddsmakers’ favorites to make Super Bowl LII...until now.
by Joe McAtee Mar 14, 2017, 4:50pm CDT
usa_today_8757384.0.jpg

Former Kansas City Chiefs LS Andrew East
Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports
Reggie White. Drew Brees. Coty Sensabaugh.

Every now and then, a player rises out of free agency to completely re-shape the fortunes of a team and elevate them from has been to is be, from a pretender to a contender.

The player is long snapper Andrew East. The team is the Los Angeles Rams. The time is a few minutes ago.

East was a UDFA from the 2015 NFL Draft out of Vanderbilt who offered size, speed, grip strength, snap torque and plus wristicular compunction. East landed with the Kansas City Chiefs but had stints with the Seattle Seahawks and Oakland Raiders since as his “East Coast Least Coast” philosophy prevents him from setting up east of the Mississsippi River.

East is married to former Olympic gymnast and Dancing With the Stars champion Shawn Johnson. We’ll have to see how she handles the fame that comes with being married to a backup long snapper in the NFL.

As of this morning, the Rams were 100-1 odds to win Super Bowl LII. I wouldn’t be surprised whatsoever if the Rams carve that at least in half due to this signing.

Andrew East is now a Los Angeles Ram. Let the long snapping we’ve longed for begin.

Guess they really want some competition for Mcquaide?

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/3...east-super-bowl-dynasty-greatest-snap-on-turf

LA Rams Solidify Super Bowl Trajectory By Signing Backup Long Snapper Andrew East
6 New, 6 comments
The Rams might not have been oddsmakers’ favorites to make Super Bowl LII...until now.
by Joe McAtee Mar 14, 2017, 4:50pm CDT
usa_today_8757384.0.jpg

Former Kansas City Chiefs LS Andrew East
Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports
Reggie White. Drew Brees. Coty Sensabaugh.

Every now and then, a player rises out of free agency to completely re-shape the fortunes of a team and elevate them from has been to is be, from a pretender to a contender.

The player is long snapper Andrew East. The team is the Los Angeles Rams. The time is a few minutes ago.

East was a UDFA from the 2015 NFL Draft out of Vanderbilt who offered size, speed, grip strength, snap torque and plus wristicular compunction. East landed with the Kansas City Chiefs but had stints with the Seattle Seahawks and Oakland Raiders since as his “East Coast Least Coast” philosophy prevents him from setting up east of the Mississsippi River.

East is married to former Olympic gymnast and Dancing With the Stars champion Shawn Johnson. We’ll have to see how she handles the fame that comes with being married to a backup long snapper in the NFL.

As of this morning, the Rams were 100-1 odds to win Super Bowl LII. I wouldn’t be surprised whatsoever if the Rams carve that at least in half due to this signing.

Andrew East is now a Los Angeles Ram. Let the long snapping we’ve longed for begin.

Guess they really want some competition for Mcquaide?

Beat me to it. Is this signing even necessary???...

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Beat me to it. Is this signing even necessary???...

It definitely is curious, he doesnt seem to have any ties to the coaching staff either. Odd to waste funds like this.

Psycho_X

Legend
Long snappers often don't make it too long in the NFL because as the vet minimum price begins to rise with age they can usually be replaced by younger, cheaper options. It's not much but can save you half a mil in cap space or more. Nature of the beast unfortunately. I suspect this is why the signing.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Long snappers often don't make it too long in the NFL because as the vet minimum price begins to rise with age they can usually be replaced by younger, cheaper options. It's not much but can save you half a mil in cap space or more. Nature of the beast unfortunately. I suspect this is why the signing.
good point. didnt think of that. nice alternate view :cheers:

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
His cap hit for 2017 is $875,000. If he's cut the dead cap penalty is $100,000 for a savings of $775,000 which isn't that big of a dollar amount.

He will also be an UFA in 2018 and turns 30 years old on 12/07/2017, so who knows what this means?

225px-Jacob_McQuaide.JPG

Psycho_X

Legend
good point. didnt think of that. nice alternate view :cheers:

By my rough estimates if we cut McQuaide and kept him (assuming East signed a minimum deal) we'd create $235,000 in cap space. So not as good as I thought but still something.

McQuaide's salary this season is $875,000, East's salary would be $540,000 as the minimum for a vet with 1 year experience, and cutting McQuaide would create $100,000 in dead money according to a cap tracking site.

So meh.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He is the piece. Super Bowl..!!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think McQuaide must be pretty d@mn good at what he does, cuz we hear almost nothing about him during the year because he's doing his job? He's been around so long I

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
By my rough estimates if we cut McQuaide and kept him (assuming East signed a minimum deal) we'd create $235,000 in cap space. So not as good as I thought but still something.

McQuaide's salary this season is $875,000, East's salary would be $540,000 as the minimum for a vet with 1 year experience, and cutting McQuaide would create $100,000 in dead money according to a cap tracking site.

So meh.
meh is right. no reason to get rid of our LS who never ever makes a mistake just to save that little. But who knows. Not our choice.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I think McQuaide must be pretty d@mn good at what he does, cuz we hear almost nothing about him during the year because he's doing his job? He's been around so long I
I know you didnt finish but those were my thoughts as well. Why try and fix or add to something that is not broken?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
They can say this new guy is good and I hope he is, but...

He's no McQuade... (or McQuaide...)

lone-wolf-mcquade.jpg

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think that this signing is only for preseason purposes. McQuaide is younger and better than East.

Ram65

Legend
His cap hit for 2017 is $875,000. If he's cut the dead cap penalty is $100,000 for a savings of $775,000 which isn't that big of a dollar amount.

He will also be an UFA in 2018 and turns 30 years old on 12/07/2017, so who knows what this means?

225px-Jacob_McQuaide.JPG

Rams may have a backup plan. Long Snappers are important but often are over looked until they mess up. McQuaide has been outstanding. He would get offers on the open market. It seems a little strange to bring East in. Who knows is right! Leverage?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Unless Jake McQuaide failed a drug test I have to agree (I always concur, but changing it up) with @Memento, Rams will need to long snappers for OTA's & Training Camp, plus there will be some extra OTA's with a New Head Coach I believe, unless that has changed too.

Keep in mind the Rams did do this back with Chris Massey and McQuaide, but Massey was making far more money so again unless it is something we don't know about I believe they just want to make sure they have a back-up moving forward.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
McQuaide is younger and better than East.

FWIW's McQuaide is 4 years older than East. Quite frankly I think the Rams signed East so QB Jared Goff will now know where the sun rises.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Hekker likes a clean ball, not one with whiskers sprouting from it ?