Rams Sign another short, blazing fast WR: Andrew Helmick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
<a class="postlink" href="http://nfldraftzone.com/draft-news/breaking-st-louis-rams-sign-wr-andrew-helmick/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nfldraftzone+%28NFL+Draft+Zone%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://nfldraftzone.com/draft-news/brea ... ft+Zone%29</a>

After spending time in rookie minicamp with the Falcons and Browns, Lindenwood WR Andrew Helmick finally found a home on Wednesday, signing with the St. Louis Rams following a tryout. Helmick is a physically gifted [hil]5’11, 200 lb. WR who runs a sub-4.3 40 yard dash[/hil]. As a senior at Lindenwood Helmick was very productive, with over 1,300 yards and 14 touchdowns. He joins former RB Denodus O’Bryant (now of the Colts) as the second Lindenwood player to sign with an NFL team this year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: Rams Sign WR Andrew Helmick

Exclusive Interview: Lindenwood WR Andrew Helmick

by Shaun DePasquale
<a class="postlink" href="http://nfldraftzone.com/draft-news/exclusive-interview-lindenwood-wr-andrew-helmick/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://nfldraftzone.com/draft-news/excl ... w-helmick/</a>

helmick.jpg

Lindenwood WR Andrew Helmick is one of the best prospects in the 2013 that you probably haven’t heard about. Recent history overwhelmingly suggests that it simply doesn’t matter what level of competition you come from as a WR, if you have the natural gifts to play the position you will make an impact. Look no further than the impact made by players such as Victor Cruz, Marques Colston, Cecil Shorts and Pierre Garcon to name just a few. Helmick is a physically gifted 6’0 WR, close to 200 pounds, who runs a 4.3 40 yard dash. He has the ability to develop into a dependable option of offense, and can help right away in the return game. It was my pleasure to interview Andrew for NFL Draft Zone.

Shaun DePasquale: Thank you for taking the time to speak with me today Andrew. Can you tell me where you’re training for the NFL?

Andrew Helmick: I’m training in Daytona Beach, FL. I strength train with Tasso Kiriakes at Bodez By Tasso, and doing my speed and agility work with Joesph Foxx & Foxx Performance.

SD: What do you feel are your strengths and weaknesses (things you may need to work on)?

AH: I feel my strengths are definitely my work ethic and speed & strength combination. For weaknesses, I’d like to say I’m always working on every part of my game, but what I spend most time perfecting is being a little more loose while running, especially through the hips, and being more of a vocal leader. I’ve always led by example, but I’m working on being vocally there as well.

SD: How do you feel your time at Lindenwood’s helped you prepare for the NFL?

AH: Throughout my years at Lindenwood we had many talented players I was fortunate to learn from. We’ve had 3 WR’s my first two years there sign NFL contracts, so I was blessed learning from them as a young student athlete. We also had other WR’s who weren’t signed but in my eye just as good as the others. I was able to learn about routes, running, what to look for in a defense, and great blocking techniques. I have been surrounded by talent since the beginning.

SD: What do you feel you bring to an NFL offense?

AH: I feel like I can offer numerous things to an NFL offense. I truly believe I can be that slot man and be the reliable go to guy. But more importantly, I also feel as though I could return kicks & punts. Even if its lining me up on kickoff or punt team and covering a kick, I put forth the talent and effort to help the team in ANY area. I realize the importance of special teams and am willing to do anything.

SD: Have you received any feedback from NFL scouts?

AH: They like how I play the game and have instructed me on what I should focus on to get better.

SD: What active NFL player would you compare your skillset to?

AH: I would compare myself to a Danny Amendola or a Victor Cruz. They both run great routes and can catch the ball on any down. Their teams rely heavily on them in clutch situations, and I love that about them.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8xBtvtGTFQ[/youtube]

SD: Does being overlooked coming from a smaller school motivate you to prove doubters wrong?

AH: I honestly do my best to block out doubters. I put less emphasis on proving the doubters wrong, but more on proving those who believed in me right. Being a D2 guy, I have every intention of making those who believe in me, proud.

SD: What has been your greatest accomplishment, athletically or personally ?

AH: My greatest accomplishment without a doubt has nothing to do with sports. This past year I’ve built a strong relationship with God, and that’s something that no one can take away with you. In times of struggle and anxiety, I like to take a step back and remember there are bigger things in life than the struggles we go through, and to be thankful I know Christ.

SD: If you could have dinner with any 3 people, living or otherwise, who would they be and why?

AH: First person I would have dinner with is Jesus Christ. I have a million questions I would want to ask him, plus he’s our savior, so why not? Secondly, I would enjoy having dinner with Herm Edwards. He’s so passionate about the game and what he does. It’s incredible. Every time he’s on ESPN the energy he provides is awesome, that’s the type of person I try and be. You have to love passionate people. Lastly, I would have dinner with Alexander The Great. He was an amazing leader and was tutored by one of the greatest minds Aristotle. He never lost a battle, so obviously motivation and strategic planning are essential to him, and I’d like to know how he did it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zB0Xk_dLcU[/youtube]

SD: What player growing up did you most admire and model your game after?

AH: I used to be a running back in little league, and growing up in Kansas City I loved Priest Holmes. He used to always dive over the end zone pile, so when I was in 3rd & 4th grade, I used to dive over everything I possibly could trying to be like him. There are holes in the wall at my house from me diving over the table onto the couch. He had a commercial I’ll never forget where he said: “ya blink, ya miss me. Ya don’t blink, ya still miss me.” That’s stuck in my head since grade school. But when I was switched to WR I would say Wes Welker became someone who I modeled my game after.

SD: Give me the name of a teammate that isn’t talked about nearly enough.

AH: Denodus O’Bryant is a freak of nature. He’s our running back who’s also training for the NFL, and he can do it all. Just watch his high light tape on YouTube and see for yourself, runs through contact, legs never stop, and his burst is ridiculous. I’m excited to see him catch everyone’s eye at the pro day.

SD: What message would you like to send to NFL teams about Andrew Helmick?

AH: Simply that I’m a hard working individual that gives it all on every down. It doesn’t matter what you ask me to do for the team, I’ll do it to the best of my ability. I’m a huge competitor as well, so I’ll try and be the best at every small detail.

SD: Last question, what would be your first purchase with an NFL paycheck?

AH: I can’t answer that question, because my first NFL paycheck is going in the bank and not purchasing anything. I’ve never had more than probably $300 in my account at once, so I’m putting the check in, printing the receipt, and enjoying the moment.

SD: Thank you so much for your time Andrew. Good luck in your journey!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Are we starting a trend here with sub 6'0" receivers?
Not complaining or anything, because you can either ball or you can't.

Simba

Rookie

X said:
I think it's going to be our offensive way to play against divisional phisycal and heavy defences (49ers and Seahawks expecially).We are looking for to play fast,very fast (air raid offence).And we need wr's small and swift for the short.Instead for the depth, we have got Quick,Givens and Cook.We are going to be ... lethal!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
You can't do anything against speed, it can punish the opposition, being sub 6' myself I'm loving the shorta$$ revolution the Rams are starting :)

Looks like another very good pickup!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
shaunpinney said:
You can't do anything against speed, it can punish the opposition, being sub 6' myself I'm loving the shorta$$ revolution the Rams are starting :)

Dude's pretty thick for a 5'11 receiver. 200 lbs at that speed would (theoretically) make him doubly hard to tackle.
If he doesn't blow right by you, you'll need to get more than a hand on him if you wanna bring him down.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
X said:
Dude's pretty thick for a 5'11 receiver. 200 lbs at that speed would (theoretically) make him doubly hard to tackle.
If he doesn't blow right by you, you'll need to get more than a hand on him if you wanna bring him down.

Too right! There are a couple of those plays on his highlights where he shrugs / bounces off the first defender - I have to take my hat off to the FO and scouting team for picking up these UDFAs...

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's sign Holt Richter from the Cleveland Show and really go small! :lol:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Our old coaches and front offices would have never signed players like these. Amendola was really the exception, not the norm. Anyone who tries to model their game after Welker or Amendola is fine in my book.

:cheese:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
shaunpinney said:
X said:

Too right! There are a couple of those plays on his highlights where he shrugs / bounces off the first defender - I have to take my hat off to the FO and scouting team for picking up these UDFAs...

Agree with all of these points, the dude has some meat on him and doesn't go down really easily.

The UDFA's are Sneads work. I recall him saying he takes great pleasure in uncovering hidden gems. He takes it very seriously and I actually posted on the Huddle I wonder how well he is going to do this off season. If he can pull a quality starter out of the heap every year thats a big deal.

Now about the kids speed and the division. It's a good point being made because there is no defense for a guy who can out run you and juke you. The big bullies in the division are going to have difficulty game planning against this O if it all comes together like we are thinking.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
LesBaker said:
shaunpinney said:
X said:

Agree with all of these points, the dude has some meat on him and doesn't go down really easily.

The UDFA's are Sneads work. I recall him saying he takes great pleasure in uncovering hidden gems. He takes it very seriously and I actually posted on the Huddle I wonder how well he is going to do this off season. If he can pull a quality starter out of the heap every year thats a big deal.

Now about the kids speed and the division. It's a good point being made because there is no defense for a guy who can out run you and juke you. The big bullies in the division are going to have difficulty game planning against this O if it all comes together like we are thinking.
I'm gonna love watching the squealhawks' big corners trying to cover these little guys if they miss on the initial jam.
It'll be like when Rocky tried to catch that chicken.

PhxRam

Looks like he catches well with his hands. I dont think he let one get into his body.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
RamsSince1969 said:
Let's sign Holt Richter from the Cleveland Show and really go small! :lol:

New football meta. Forget the pistol... short, fast ppl running all over the field is where it's at.

Speeps

Starter

X said:
Remember we have 6'4, 6'3 and 6'5 target on the roster as well.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Simba said:
X said:
I think it's going to be our offensive way to play against divisional phisycal and heavy defences (49ers and Seahawks expecially).We are looking for to play fast,very fast (air raid offence).And we need wr's small and swift for the short.Instead for the depth, we have got Quick,Givens and Cook.We are going to be ... lethal!

It does kind of make you wonder. As the rest of the NFL goes large, we have the small weapons to cause troubles for defenses built for large WR.

As a bonus; we got Cook, Quick, and Pettis to go large as needed.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
shaunpinney said:

He looks good to me.

nighttrain

Legend

X said:
Another guy with serious wheels that's a player, not track star. Looked pretty good
train

nighttrain

Legend

nighttrain said:
X said:
Another UDFA with serious wheels that's a player, not track star. Looked pretty good, really like a one handed grab I saw...and quite a few bounce off first defender that didn't wrap him up, it was adios MFer
train