Rams Sign a O-Lineman

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Rams agreed to terms with CFL G/T Jovan Olafioye. He is listed at 6'6/325. He's 24. 0 sacks allowed for 2011 Grey Cup champion BC Lions. Finalist for CFL OL of Year.

Sounds good to me. Potentially a low risk high reward type signing.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Goin' hard after those CFL dudes. I like it. Tap every resource.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Heres some of the stuff being said on Twitter:

@caplannfl
- Olafioye worked out for 14 teams, visited the NYJ twice (1 workout, other for physical). Some teams see him as a guard despite his size.

@nfldraftupdate
- In an even more pass-first CFL, the fact that new Rams OL Jovan Olafioye did not allow a sack in '11 is noteworthy. NC Central alum.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=386822

LIONS' OL OLAFIOYE SIGNS TWO-YEAR DEAL WITH NFL'S RAMS

The B.C. Lions have lost another player to the NFL

Jovan Olafioye, the West Division nominee for Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman, has signed a two-year deal with the St. Louis Rams. Olafioye will reportedly make close to six-figures in guaranteed salary.

The 24-year-old product of North Carolina Central spent the past two seasons with the Lions. Olafioye was named a West Division All-Star in his rookie year in 2010 and was a CFL All-Star this past season.

Olafioye joins linebacker Solomon Elimimian as former Lions who have signed with NFL clubs this off-season. DT Khalif Mitchell, who many thought would sign down south, re-signed with the B.C. earlier this off-season.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Did he just play at OT in the CFL? I also find it interesting that he signed a 2-year deal. Is that common for CFL players?

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
>>Olafioye will reportedly make close to six-figures in guaranteed salary.<<

6 figures? I'd hope they mean 7 figures, either that or this guy's getting ripped off big time. :what:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
X said:
Goin' hard after those CFL dudes. I like it. Tap every resource.

Those Canadians know alot aboot football, eh?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
ramsince62 said:

6 figures? I'd hope they mean 7 figures, either that or this guy's getting ripped off big time. :what:

I hope it IS 6 figures and the guy is a stud. We can pay him more later when we return to greatness.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
http://www.butchonsports.com/Article-Olafioye.html

Hard Work Makes Olafioye’s Dream Come True

By Butch Davis

The tour of 22 years old Jovan Olafioye the last five years he explains to me (Butch Davis) had much to do with a huge amount of hard work. In a phone conversation this Monday night with Jovan after a long day of practices in preparation for his team’s next day game (Friday, September 3rd, B.C. Lions @ Montreal Alouettes) we talked about his hard work ethnic that got him where is now, a professional football player.
Our talk began with Jovan remembering wanting to go colleges to play football, as the Ecorse football program in 2004 had one of its best seasons in years; however, the All-Downriver Defensive Lineman did not receive any letters of intent. Not even a Junior college had contacted him.
I remember receiving a phone call from Jovan’s father inviting me to his home to discuss with his wife and family about Jovan’s future. At that time I was working as a communication assistant at Ecorse High School for Monica Dobias, the Athletic Director at that time. I was in charge of filming games for the coaches of the varies sports the school supported.
Well, during the meeting at the Olafioye home Jovan promised his parents and myself to work very hard from that day forward and to never take anything casually anymore, especially his grades in the classroom, as that was the big reason he had not received any letters of intent to further his education, again, not ever from a Junior college.
I remember Dr. Olafioye talking to Jovan as his mother and I heard this famous quote, Dr.Olafioye stated, “Failing is not an Option”.
I was able to contact Jovan’s high school football coach at Ecorse, Emmett Long and received two years of football game footage which equals 40 hours of film. I watched in order to take Jovan’s best plays on tape to edit and make a five minute promo show for the Olafioye family to shop around to colleges that had football teams. With the support of family and friends, Jovan started the fall of 2005 at Grand Rapids Community College playing football as a defensive lineman after starring in high school and being named All-Downriver Area.
He transferred to North Carolina Central as a junior in 2007 and was asked to make the switch from defense to play and started at left guard for the Eagles’ number one-rated offense. After an outstanding junior season, Jovan was selected to the 2008 Preseason All-Independent First Team. Jovan was a Sports Management major at UNCC and spent his off-seasons helping out at football camps and working out.
Jovan was rated among the top 70 offensive linemen in his draft year by NFL scout. However, in May 2009 Jovan went undrafted by the NFL after completing his collegiate career in 2008 at North Carolina Central. The Detroit Lions invited Jovan to training camp as a free agent the summer of 2009. “They [Detroit Lions] said that I had all the speed, physical attributes, the athleticism, the motor to play with them,” Olafioye says, “but they were looking for somebody to play right now. I was more of a project, because I’d only been playing O-line for two years. Every Pro Day I did, they loved me. They just didn’t like my technique. Like I told them, ‘I’ve only been at this for two years.’” The Detroit Lions release Jovan. Feeling disappointed, he kept his shoulder up and his head held high and continued working hard until February of this year when he took a trip Fort Lauderdale, Florida to try out for the British Columbia Lions of the Canadian Football League.
Mike Beamish, a reporter for the Vancouver Sun wrote in his column July 28, 2010, and notes Head Coach of the B.C. Lions Wally Buono admitting it was his elephantine size that first attracted him to the prospect. “Who found him?” says a B.C. Lions coach, rhetorically. “I did,” said Buono. He was 355 pounds. I said, “Jovan, it really would be helpful if you could get down to 330.” When he came to training camp, I didn’t recognize him. It was as if we’d never met. He had totally changed. He’s a very conscientious guy.”
“He’s a physical gift,” says B.C. Lions center Angus Reid, in the Vancouver Sun story written by Beamish, “He’s a big, strong, powerful man who likes to hit people. All I have to do is tell him whom to hit. That guy won’t be getting up for a while. He has all the tools that you need, and the guy has major enthusiasm. When we watch film, we just enjoy sitting back and watching him obliterate people. You’re just going to see him get better and better as he figures out the details of the game.” Jovan has been a starter the last seven games for the B.C. Lions.
I asked Jovan what advice he could give to the youth in the community? He explains, “Take your education serious from day one, and never take it for granted. Two: stay in the books and surround yourself with positive people in as well as out of school. Three: stay out of the streets—trouble out there is easy to get into and very hard to get out of—even if it means not being cool or being excepted by the so-called popular people in school, it’s not worth it.”
Known as “Big O” to friends, the Detroit born, Ecorse native is partial to the styling of Young Jeezy. When not catching up on reruns of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Jovan can be found reading the Bible. He notes his Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association championship win in 2007 as his biggest football memory to date.
By the way, if you want to see Jovan Olafioye in action all B.C. Lions games including this Saturday, September 18th, BC Lions hosting the Hamilton Tiger-Cats can be seen on ESPN 3 on your computer, game time start is 7:30pm.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
ramsince62 said:

I think that's referencing the signing bonus. Otherwise yeah, he should definitely be making 6 figures, easily.

quebecramfan

Rookie
My BC Lions are losing a few good players this offseason.... At least they lost this one to the Rams!!

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
quebecramfan said:
My BC Lions are losing a few good players this offseason.... At least they lost this one to the Rams!!

Did you get to see this guy play at all? If so what was your impression of him?

Anonymous

ramsince62 said:

No doubt! Perhaps his agent gets 95%? :sly: