Rams set to meet with Ohio State cornerback Eli Apple

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
A week into the free agency period, the Los Angeles Rams have addressed needs on defense. And for the most part, they’ve replenished pretty well.

It seemed, then, that the Rams would use the NFL draft to address their needs on offense. But not so fast.

NFL Network’s Rand Getlin reported Monday night that Ohio State cornerback Eli Apple has several meetings scheduled, including with the Rams.

Apple would give the Rams depth in the secondary but likely wouldn’t compete for a starting job. He possesses good speed, posting a 4.40 40-yard dash at the NFL scouting combine. As NFL.com reported, Apple did not run the 40 at his pro day, opting instead to only do positional drills.

What he lacks in size he more than makes up for with speed and experience. He started two seasons with the Buckeyes, including their 2014 run to a national championship.

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/03/16/rams-set-to-meet-with-ohio-state-cornerback-eli-apple/

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
They have many players in for visits the weeks leading up to the draft ; both offense and defense. Kind of a dumb story if you ask me. Also, Apple is is 6'1" almost 200 pnds ; he's one of the bigger CB's in the draft. He doesn't have to make up for his size ....:thinking:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Nonsense. Anyone who doubts that Snisher would draft this kid hasn't been paying attention.

I totally buy that they'd draft him as BPA if he fell to 15.

More and more I think they're trying to figure if they can live with the QBs who are likely to be there in the 2nd round as well as QBs that are likely to be there in the 3rd and 5th.

I'm really starting to buy that their plan is the Sweet 17 plan.... Offense has to score more than that, Defense has to give up less than that.

They feel Keenum can do that on offense and rather than push the Offense, they feel more confident that they can squeeze fewer points allowed from the D.

I dunno if I agree with that, but at the very least, I'm acknowledging it so that when they draft a CB like Apple or a DL..., I don't end up in the CVS parking lot the night after the draft on a Lil' Debbie binge, overdosing on Nutty Bars while I quietly cry like Jim Carrey...

Jim-Carrey-Dramatic-Crying-In-Eternal-Sunshine-Of-The-Spotless-Mind.gif

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
They have many players in for visits the weeks leading up to the draft ; both offense and defense. Kind of a dumb story if you ask me. Also, Apple is is 6'1" almost 200 pnds ; he's one of the bigger CB's in the draft. He doesn't have to make up for his size ....:thinking:

Due diligence. A trade up is not guaranteed. A QB at 15 is not guaranteed. And Apple in round1 is not a guarantee. They could be thinking that, if Apple falls to round 2 or the end of round 1, and they like him enough, then they would move up to draft him.They did it with Joyner.

I still think there is some doubt about Gaines' foot injury. They may be eying their JJ replacement. Apple is thought to be a late first round pick. Maybe they would try to trade back in round 1 and pick him if the QBs they like are gone.

There are lots of options. I think if they are bringing anyone in for a visit that there is some level of interest. Apple is a buckeye that I think would be a good pick.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Please God no....I can't stand Eli Apple. I thought he was the most overrated player on Ohio State's defense.

Name
Adam
apple has the body type and skill set to play in the nfl.

bless him for leaving new jersey for columbus, ohio.

he still face guards and never locates the ball it seems.

wouldn't want him at 15. i think he plays in the nfl for a decade simply based on size and speed.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't see us selecting Apple. It just doesn't jive.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Please God no....I can't stand Eli Apple. I thought he was the most overrated player on Ohio State's defense.

apple has the body type and skill set to play in the nfl.

bless him for leaving new jersey for columbus, ohio.

he still face guards and never locates the ball it seems.

wouldn't want him at 15. i think he plays in the nfl for a decade simply based on size and speed.

Interesting. Well Ill take your word for it since you probably saw him more than I did. He played well against PSU and looked good against Michigan. His size and athleticism would be enticing and some good coaching might be all he needs.