Rams Set Private Workout with Austin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
Remember people....This does not mean we LOVE a player so much...This means we are doing our due diligence with them. A guy like Austin has a lot of question marks and I am happy the Rams are trying to figure him out as best they can.

I for one am against drafting Austin btw.

iced

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
having him for a private workout doesn't mean a smokescreen, especially as a WR needy team. It's doing your due diligence.

Now anything leaked afterwards is grounds for it.....

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
jrry32 said:
I'm not buying it, CGI. The Rams aren't going to waste their time going to Morgantown to work the kid out for a smokescreen. As you said, everyone and their mother already links Austin to us. What is there to gain? We had him in for a visit and everyone thinks we're going to take him. The private workout wasn't necessary to put the thought in their minds.

As for Quick, he was a 2nd rounder though...bit of a different scenario.

I think there's a lot less pretending than is believed. Teams are pretty straight forward with things. They aren't going to waste valuable time and workouts/visits that are capped trying to trick other teams too often imo. Scout your guys, know who you want and have contingency plans if they aren't there.

The draft is all about evaluation and strategy...the smoke-screens really aren't all that necessary unless you think there's a special talent that is seriously underrated and don't want to tip your hand. And in that case, it's less about smoke-screens and more about just not letting the other teams see your cards.

My thoughts as well. The Rams would not send someone to WV unless they were genuinely interested in Austin/Bailey. I like this move...especially if they scout Bailey as a contingency. I like his game too....

nighttrain

Legend
visiting Quick at Appalachia was deceptive, who saw Quick in the 2nd round? Probably 0, except Fisher & Snead..You could read this as a smokescreen, but nothing else from last years draft.
train

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
nighttrain said:
visiting Quick at Appalachia was deceptive, who saw Quick in the 2nd round? Probably 0, except Fisher & Snead..You could read this as a smokescreen, but nothing else from last years draft.
train

I am curious to see where Quick would have been drafted if not by us. I had never even heard his name mentioned prior to the draft, but I am not a draftnik, so.....yeah. Was there mention of other teams interest in him?

RamsNation

Rookie
This would be the third year in a row where we put it out that we want a certain WR bad and the same thing will happen as the past two years.Two years ago all teams knew Julio wasn't making it past the Rams and what happens??Falcons trade all the way up to 6 to get him.Last year,say what you want I will say it till the death of me we were picking Blackmon at 6 but guess what,the jags hop us at 5 coincidence??I think not they knew he wouldn't be there at 7 where they originally were picking.You think a team would jump over the team in front of them if they didn't think they would be picking their guy?Hell no,and the same thing I feel is gonna happen again.Everyone seems to feel if you want Tavon get him before 16 because no shot in hell he will get past us. [WEARY FACE]

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Faceplant said:
nighttrain said:
train

I am curious to see where Quick would have been drafted if not by us. I had never even heard his name mentioned prior to the draft, but I am not a draftnik, so.....yeah. Was there mention of other teams interest in him?

I saw a couple of draft shows that had Quick mentioned on them. Of course I had no idea who he was, But they had him as a second rounder. Word was that someone was going to take him just after the Rams pick so they went ahead and pulled the trigger. From the sounds of it, he was going to go in the 2nd - Rams or no.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
RamsNation said:
This would be the third year in a row where we put it out that we want a certain WR bad and the same thing will happen as the past two years.Two years ago all teams knew Julio wasn't making it past the Rams and what happens??Falcons trade all the way up to 6 to get him.Last year,say what you want I will say it till the death of me we were picking Blackmon at 6 but guess what,the jags hop us at 5 coincidence??I think not they knew he wouldn't be there at 7 where they originally were picking.You think a team would jump over the team in front of them if they didn't think they would be picking their guy?Hell no,and the same thing I feel is gonna happen again.Everyone seems to feel if you want Tavon get him before 16 because no shot in hell he will get past us. [WEARY FACE]

Yeah - I don't think we need to say anything for other teams to know our need at WR. This year however, there is no clear cut stud #1 WR. Of course I was not a big Blackmon guy so I'm interested to see how he does in the coming years. I'm expecting big things out of BQ even though he was completely off my radar in last years draft.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Its interesting to me that many speak of T.Austin going before the Rams #16 pick(and i think that has merit)....yet when you glance at the multitude of mocks out there,its difficult to find one where he's actually being mocked in the top 15.

I suppose that when you take draft day trades into account that could easily be factored in...nonetheless i find that interesting.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RamFan503 said:
RamsNation said:

Yeah - I don't think we need to say anything for other teams to know our need at WR. This year however, there is no clear cut stud #1 WR. Of course I was not a big Blackmon guy so I'm interested to see how he does in the coming years. I'm expecting big things out of BQ even though he was completely off my radar in last years draft.
I had BQ rated a little lower than about 3 or 4 guys that got picked after him, but not because of his talent. I remember watching tape and thinking, OMG, this kid will be special someday if he gets coached up. I posted a couple vids of him last year. My favorite part of his game in college, and we saw it once last year, is when he catches it and spins, then takes off downfield. He's truly special there, because of his size/strength to quickness ratio. If the corner isn't lined up perfect, Quick just turns and burns, because just getting a piece of him, ain't gonna do it.

There were rumors/reports that Quick got very little coaching at his college.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
DR RAM said:
RamFan503 said:
RamsNation said:

I had BQ rated a little lower than about 3 or 4 guys that got picked after him, but not because of his talent. I remember watching tape and thinking, OMG, this kid will be special someday if he gets coached up. I posted a couple vids of him last year. My favorite part of his game in college, and we saw it once last year, is when he catches it and spins, then takes off downfield. He's truly special there, because of his size/strength to quickness ratio. If the corner isn't lined up perfect, Quick just turns and burns, because just getting a piece of him, ain't gonna do it.

There were rumors/reports that Quick got very little coaching at his college.
IIRC, he didn't have a receivers' coach until he was picked by the Rams.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I think they're trying convince themselves that Austin is BPA enough to be able draft him at #16 or 22. They may have been on the fence about him and need to know if he can fit what they want to do going forward.

Just a guess but they're making the final stack of their board and want to get it right. He's a different type of player so he's a little harder to get a read on. Some players are automatics if there avaliable others take some thought.

I do believe in smoke screens and other misdirection propaganda. All teams play it. GM's love this stuff, this is their game field. They have to know what the teams around them are thinking of doing and if they're open to trades. I mean do you hear Sneed come out and say " Austin is our guy at 16" ?
All cloak and dagger stuff. Love it.

A55VA6

Legend
Austin won't be there at 16. Somebody will take him at their pick or jump up. Rams have alot of options at 16. There will be alot of good talent there,

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A55VA6 said:
Austin won't be there at 16. Somebody will take him at their pick or jump up. Rams have alot of options at 16. There will be alot of good talent there,

I've come to accept this and okay with it too.

As Snead says; fall in love with scenarios and not players.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

bluecoconuts

Legend
There's quite a few players I like in the draft, I'm pretty at peace this year. I trust the organization fully to pick the right players... It's actually pretty nice to have that trust again.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
bluecoconuts said:
There's quite a few players I like in the draft, I'm pretty at peace this year. I trust the organization fully to pick the right players... It's actually pretty nice to have that trust again.

So true bc.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
bluecoconuts said:

You got that right brother BC.. I can relate man.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
bump:
Didnt want to start new thread for todays article.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000163237/article/tavon-austin-new-york-jets-have-a-plan-for-me

Tavon Austin: New York Jets have a plan for me
West Virginia wide receiver Tavon Austin has turned into perhaps the most interesting man in the world this week. Or at least New York City. In a draft lacking great top-shelf skill-position talent, Austin stands out.

That's why it would be such a shame if Austin was drafted by the least interesting offense in the NFL. Austin told Jenny Vrentas of The Star-Ledger that New York Jets coach Rex Ryan showed particular interest.

"(Ryan) said he had a plan for me. I talked to the offensive coordinator (Marty Mornhinweg), and they said they like players like me who can bring big-play ability there," Austin told the Star-Ledger on Thursday.

Ryan even joked to Austin they would possibly use him on defensive plays. With picks No. 9 and 13 in the first round, it's hard to imagine the Jets not investing in some offensive firepower. That could be Austin, tight end Tyler Eifert, or possibly quarterback Geno Smith. (Of course, Austin could always get drafted by Buffalo before even getting to the Jets.)

"I met everybody, and they pretty much said they like me a lot, and hopefully we can make it happen," Austin said.

Then again, Austin knows that pre-draft talk usually isn't worth much.

"I'm just glad at the right time that my name's moving up," Austin said Wednesday. "But at the end of the day, it's about the GMs and the coaches. A lot of these analysts can say where I can go at, but sometimes nobody has a clue, so I'll just wait till tomorrow and see who picks my name and go from there."

Austin is right. Nobody has a clue where he'll go. We'd just be worried that the Jets wouldn't have a clue how best to use Austin in what looks like year where Ryan is set up for failure.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I'm thinking Austin could go as early as #8 to the Bills. If not he makes sense at either Jets pick.

Shawnbb158

Starter
This is the guy I wan. I know we will have to move up for him which I dontcwant to do BUT if we do move up and get him I'll be thrilled! One word PLAYMAKER