Rams select Temmarick Hemmingway TE with #177 Overall

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
Welp. There goes the German freak. I don't really like this pick. We got our replacement TE all ready and now we dradted a project guy? I guess it is round six, but we still have other areas to address and only two more picks. I'm still waiting for the Foles trade...

Rainram

Starter
I loved the draft up to this point.

Jared Cook's replacement? Suspect hands. Runs few routes. Not a blocker. I guess if you want that in-line TE that can run the seam, here ya go.

Otherwise...been a great draft so far.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Welp. There goes the German freak. I don't really like this pick. We got our replacement TE all ready and now we dradted a project guy? I guess it is round six, but we still have other areas to address and only two more picks. I'm still waiting for the Foles trade...
Dude, I love it. You've got to hedge your bets, and there is no denying his size, and talent. We have more picks, and there are still some good players out there.

Rainram

Starter

What's in it for other teams when you can wait til we release him?

I'd be happy with a 7th for him, but still ain't holding my breath.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm pretty okay with this from a philosophical standpoint. Production at TE has been SORELY lacking over the years, and this is just one way of bringing in some competition in order to find someone - anyone - that can emerge as a seam threat who can also pave roads for Gurley.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The thing is, there is some risk in Higbee, so I could understand drafting a 2nd TE who already can play a bit - you know, can block, run quality routes, whatever. If they are going to take a project for depth though, I'd rather it was a big bodied DT to back up Brockers, or a DB who I have faith can be developed by the Rams. Or a RB, for that matter. Or a WR, if there were any big ones worth drafting.

Meh, it is only a 6th, but with the Rams having so few picks, and having lost a few free agents, I'm not sure it's a wise gamble. I'm hoping they saw something in him they really really liked.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What's in it for other teams when you can wait til we release him?

I'd be happy with a 7th for him, but still ain't holding my breath.

Well, trading for him guarantees they get him.

Also, if the Rams don't get anything for him, they have zero reason to cut him until at some point in training camp - he is insurance against injury if nothing else. So if a team wants to actually give Foles time to learn a new system so he can be useful, they are better off getting him now - and supposedly 5 teams are kicking the tires on him.

Ram65

Legend
Matt Waldman on Hemingway:

Temarrick Hemingway, South Carolina State:

Although his Combine performance wasn’t special like James O’Shaughnessy’s work at last year’s Underwear Olympics, Hemingway’s 4.71-40, 4.31-20, and 6.88-Three-cone are all strong numbers that the film backs up.

This is important, because the NFL does not consider South Carolina State a bastion of future football stars. Although a South Carolina State player has been drafted in 2010, 2011, and 2012, there has been a 9-year gap where only a single player earned a selection.There are some fine alumni that the NFL noticed enough to draft, including Robert Porcher, Robert Geathers, Charlie Brown, Harry Carson and Deacon Jones. Hemingway has the budding skill to join this list.

If there’s one word to describe Hemingway’s game, it’s “deceptive.” At 6’5”, 244 pounds, he looks shorter and lighter on the field than his Combine measurements, but roll the tape and he plays bigger than his listed weight and moves faster than he appears. One of his best routes—the whip—epitomizes deception because it involves running a short, fast stem, turning fast at a 90-degree angle to one side and then stopping suddenly to break to the opposite side, forcing the coverage to overrun the first break. Hemingway dominates this route over and over again on tape and it could have served as a good predictor of his 20-Shuttle and Three-Cone times.

He’s also as good at braving physical contact for a catch as he is dishing out punishment as a blocker. Although his lean, muscular build has the capacity to support another 10-15 pounds. Hemingway rountinely controls edge players 15-20 pounds heavier with his punch, hand position, and drive. He’s adept at in-line blocks and stalk blocks in the flat. Give Hemingway a year of top-notch nutrition and focused training and he could be one of the reasons draft analysts change their tune about how they gauge the quality of a tight end class.

Sounds like a pick for Goff's ability. Looks like the Rams are going the Patsies TE offense.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does anyone Reckon he could fit in as H back / FB / ???

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does anyone Reckon he could fit in as H back / FB / ???
Scouting says not much of a blocker and Harkey is great in that roll so I don't think that's the plan.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's the 6th round, folks....We still have the UDFA's segment to go, and we know how good Fish is in selecting UDFA defensive guys....We NEED some recieving threats, by hook or crook!

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
they like him better than Jerell Adams? good pick if he is.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
I'm pretty okay with this from a philosophical standpoint. Production at TE has been SORELY lacking over the years, and this is just one way of bringing in some competition in order to find someone - anyone - that can emerge as a seam threat who can also pave roads for Gurley.

I agree. We need as many receiving threats as we can get. I told my wife, that we might grab another TE because the odds favor TE's more than any 6th round draft position for eventually becoming a starter. Here are the odds in the 6th round. Based on the last 10 years of drafts.

6th Round - TE (26%) OL (16%) DL (13%) WR (9%) DB (8%) RB (6%) LB (5%) QB (0%)

At least Snead played the odds. I can't diss Snead for that. Plus we may have just drafted a special teams superhero!:boxing:

Gotta grab Special Teams players in the later rounds...