Rd 1, pick 19, Rams Select EDGE/DL Jared Verse

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
One issue is he would be similar to Turner ... might not fit the scheme ... he might. Had short arms though ... but Rams have had one way they've gone. One taller kind of DE 4i/5t and Donald ... with Turner playing Donald's spot it raises question as to what they want opposite him ... someone similar to Kobie? Or someone similar to Brockers or Ashwn or Jonah Williams, a taller DE type.

They could go with Doruius and play with two similar guys on either side of Brown.

Fiske would probably be better if he lasts.
Great post. I have been mocking all three to the rams :) but sadly believe both will be gone before 52 where as Dorius should be available later

That and I have a man crush on Tyler Nubin if he’s there at 52

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Great post. I have been mocking all three to the rams :) but sadly believe both will be gone before 52 where as Dorius should be available later

That and I have a man crush on Tyler Nubin if he’s there at 52
I think that's right. To get Fiske Rams would have to trade up.. On another board I posted that I think Dorius is super quick ... just seems like a 3-tech to me. Plus short arms and that shows ... but I don't know what kind of IDL they want ... as long as they get one they like ... and they nailed Kobie so, whatever they do will be fine.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Los Angeles Rams 1st Round Pick Is GOAT Approved, ‘Powerful, Explosive, So Much to Like About This Guy’

Ryan Anderson

Surprisingly, New England Patriots six-time Super Bowl-winning coach, Bill Belichick joined the Pat McAfee 2024 NFL Draft broadcast to give his takes on all the proceedings. The defensive genius shared his thoughts on Jared Verse, the Los Angeles Rams pick at number 19 in the first round. Their first such pick since 2016.

“He can play outside can play inside. He’s powerful, explosive. There’s so much to like about this guy.

Winning against Graham Barton of Duke: “This kid’s a very explosive, tough player.”

Facing NC State: “His power rush. A very explosive guy can handle the running game in the in the C gap off tackle areas Here he is again shed in the block. Snatching that tackle coming inside. He gets off blocks. He attacks the pocket well and he’s got a lot of power.”

Belichick’s final praise for Verse was on a broader scale, the general importance of having a force of nature along the defensive front, like now-retired Aaron Donald.

“You gotta stop the run to rush the passer. That’s one thing Verse can do. He can handle the run and he can rush the passer. You earn the right to rush the passer by stopping the run and getting ahead. That’s how you earn that right.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Los Angeles Rams 1st Round Pick Is GOAT Approved, ‘Powerful, Explosive, So Much to Like About This Guy’

Ryan Anderson

Surprisingly, New England Patriots six-time Super Bowl-winning coach, Bill Belichick joined the Pat McAfee 2024 NFL Draft broadcast to give his takes on all the proceedings. The defensive genius shared his thoughts on Jared Verse, the Los Angeles Rams pick at number 19 in the first round. Their first such pick since 2016.

“He can play outside can play inside. He’s powerful, explosive. There’s so much to like about this guy.

Winning against Graham Barton of Duke: “This kid’s a very explosive, tough player.”

Facing NC State: “His power rush. A very explosive guy can handle the running game in the in the C gap off tackle areas Here he is again shed in the block. Snatching that tackle coming inside. He gets off blocks. He attacks the pocket well and he’s got a lot of power.”

Belichick’s final praise for Verse was on a broader scale, the general importance of having a force of nature along the defensive front, like now-retired Aaron Donald.

“You gotta stop the run to rush the passer. That’s one thing Verse can do. He can handle the run and he can rush the passer. You earn the right to rush the passer by stopping the run and getting ahead. That’s how you earn that right.

Sorry, but I fucking hate that guy. He may be a brilliant defensive mind, but he'll always be a cheating bastard in my books.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Sorry, but I fucking hate that guy. He may be a brilliant defensive mind, but he'll always be a cheating bastard in my books.
Why so emotional? Just because you hate him and think he cheats --- how does that change the level of his knowledge and expertise?

Why can't you just look at it from a pure football perspective? He's smart at football and he likes the Rams pick.

But if you want to be all mad, that's your right.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Go Noles!

Dude is a beast. I watch every FSU game and I can remember thinking that this guy is a top 5 draft pick and we'd never have a shot at landing him. I'm very surprised.

One Man Savage Wrecking Crew.
Early on, he was my guy as far as Edge rushers go. I liked him over Turner and had concerns for latu. I moved on, though, because I didn’t think he’d be at #19.
Who’d a thunk it?

The most important deficiency has been addressed and the Rams have what, 10 more picks?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1714131475494.png

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
D-Line, WR, off-ball-LB, RB, interior-OL ... and ... FIVE Place-kickers?
Another CB? Safety?

The key is to look at the talent across the board because only so many can get picked before we are back at the podium. For example, a run on ICL would play out great - similar to how the run on QBs played out for us in the first

I firmly believe we will have upgraded our starters by the end and found some nice pieces for our DL rotation

Memento

Name
Jemma
Why so emotional? Just because you hate him and think he cheats --- how does that change the level of his knowledge and expertise?

Why can't you just look at it from a pure football perspective? He's smart at football and he likes the Rams pick.

But if you want to be all mad, that's your right.

Think? Did he not get nailed twice for cheating with SpyGate and with DeflateGate?

I even stated, and I quote myself verbatim, "He may be a brilliant defensive mind, but he'll always be a cheating bastard in my books."

Just because he said something positive doesn't make him any less of a cheating bastard, and I will never forgive the man for taking away a potential dynasty from our team.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Anyway, on a lighter note, we need a badass nickname for our newest first round pick. We have The Conductor (Turner) and Agent Zero (Young), so I bet we can come up with an awesome nickname for Verse.

All suggestions welcome!

jap

Legend
I am super confident this pick has AD99's full approval. He did indicate the Horns D needed an effective edge to turn up the heat on the opposing backfield. We probably could use a disruptive NT to shut the run down and keep Jones clean at ILB. I would not be surprised to see Sean try to get Matthew a big Warp Five burner.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A few thoughts;
  1. Defense is never as sexy of a pick as an offensive weapon. I was salivating over the thought of Bowers or Odunze.
  2. But the way the draft fell, we got one of the top DE’s at #19 and that’s insane.
  3. WR is deep enough, the chances of finding a toy there later is greater than DE.
  4. The Rams always have these “off the radar” type guys they surprise us with and I am SO excited for rounds 2-3… The Rams have some offensive weapons circled for today, IMO.

jap

Legend
Anyway, on a lighter note, we need a badass nickname for our newest first round pick. We have The Conductor (Turner) and Agent Zero (Young), so I bet we can come up with an awesome nickname for Verse.

All suggestions welcome!
Nicknames kind of have to be earned somewhat. We need to see how Jared's game will translate against the pros. One early tentative suggestion, although it's kind of lengthy, is Edge of Destruction.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It's possible there are no super elite edge defenders in this class. Here is a chart from PFF showing numbers for some edge defenders from this class versus top NFL edge defenders. Note that several are below 7.0.

View attachment 65402
This is why I was not too excited about the Rams drafting a ln edge in round 1.
Do you mean shallow class at Edge? If so agreed but it’s not a shallow draft class

Atlanta and our man Morris were consistently mocked to take an Edge so agreed
It is not a deep draft. Last year was a deep draft. It will be much harder to find good players after round three.

@WestCoastRam laid it out pretty well in his reply.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Nicknames kind of have to be earned somewhat. We need to see how Jared's game will translate against the pros. One early tentative suggestion, although it's kind of lengthy, is Edge of Destruction.
… or E.D. for short, which doesnt play out so well… how about Verse of Nature… or Luxury Problem…