Rd 1, pick 19, Rams Select EDGE/DL Jared Verse

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Issue is the same Verse is a 4-3 end that will have to learn new things as OLBer in 3-4/5-1.
He has ability to do it, but will take reps to do the job. But he will be major upgrade to Hoecht.

In meantime he will still be a starter, I think. Hoecht will back up both edges.

In an interesting twist, Kobie and Donald were the inside guys in the nickel defense.
Turner was the 1 or 2i ---Donald the 3-tech.

We are assuming -- rightly -- that in base defense Kobie takes Donald's position.

We also assume he will play 3-tech in nickel. Maybe, maybe not.

the shade/nose tackle then 2i or whatever and this kind could be the 3-tech sometimes
the 4 DL could be Young and Hoecht as edge and Verse and Turner as the DTs

not all the time but as a change-up. Also, most of the time he'd be edge and maybe Hoecht inside. he has enough power
and could run stunts ...

In the 3x1 overloaded front --- could see Young isolated on the "1" side with the other 3 on the 3-man side...

Had Rams taken Chop there would have been a lot of people upset ... with Verse there shouldn't be any of that.

here is shot of him doing it in college in a 5-1
1714112094510.png

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
What a great twist. Verse was coached at Albany by the same coach that coached Aaron Donald. Love it!!!

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
What a great twist. Verse was coached at Albany by the same coach that coached Aaron Donald. Love it!!!
Obviously would never be as good, but it could be sued som. Also takes pressure of to get rushing DI in 2-3rd round that must rush the passer could be a Jonah Williams-type in the 5-6th round who played in base defense but came out on passing downs.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
No. Quinn could really bend and had a variety of moves. He was great with his hands. Verse is more of a power rusher.

It’s actually considered a pretty shallow draft class

I’d have to think the Falcons going for Penix allowed this to happen.
Do you mean shallow class at Edge? If so agreed but it’s not a shallow draft class

Atlanta and our man Morris were consistently mocked to take an Edge so agreed

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Greg Cossell said Verse was too stiff to be a 3/4 olb type. He's stiff in the hips and ankles. I didn't think he was a great fit for the Rams, Snead seems to emphasize the 3 cone and short shuttle, but we haven't seen what Shula's plan is for the defense. It was reported that they love his character, which was a key to having a successful 2023 draft..
I read a lot of reports saying the same but perhaps they think they can coach him up. If he plays better from a 3 point stance then scheme for him to succeed. We should add a DE or someone like Fiske next IMO to overload Verse’s side of the line and free Cobie up too

WestCoastRam

Legend
Do you mean shallow class at Edge? If so agreed but it’s not a shallow draft class

Atlanta and our man Morris were consistently mocked to take an Edge so agreed
I don't want to put words in Elm's mouth but there are a lot of shallow positions in this draft class and just some weird ones that lump certain places. At least, that's the perceived view. The perceived view before last night was that Penix and Nix were 2nd rounders!

But, hey! - let's get back to perceived: WR, great at top, deep through day 2. OT great at top, deep through day 2. Guard meh (not including tackles moved to guard, refer to deep tackle class above). Center deep. TE almost non existent. RB a bunch of late 2nd/3rd round guys and nothing before or after. EDGE shallow. Safety shallow. ILB almost non existent. CB allllllmost shallow. DT shallow. ST's - who knows, like anyone pays attention.

I think that's everything.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Called it. Got receipts. ;)

Thought we would have to trade up to get him though. Amazed he fell to us.

He is exactly what this defense needs if we are to be competitive THIS season.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Oh I agree he will be a different player after some NFL coaching. Nobody trying to pigeon hole him.
Just presenting the data and projection as he currently is.

From 2012-2020 just 2 pass rushers drafted in the first 2 rounds have “busted” with a sub-7.0 3-cone time. Add just 3 more when you bring the threshold to 7.19. So 75% of all pass rusher “busts” had a 3-cone time of 7.19 or slower.

Not the end all be all but a decent “benchmark” of success.

Marshawn Kneeland, Western Michigan (6-foot-3, 267 pounds)His 7.02-second 3-cone drill—one of the best predictors of edge rusher success in the NFL—was in the elite range and led the group. It also correlates to what we were seeing on the field in drills, with his speed while bending.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I don't believe that is correct. The 7.31 is correct but that's a good number for an Edge.

Checked the Combine's 3-cone results by position; and no Edge had a sub-7.0 time.

Below is a cut-and-paste from what I found:

Notable 3-cone times (Edge)
  • Marshawn Kneeland (Western Michigan): 7.02
  • Nelson Ceaser (Houston): 7.30
  • Jared Verse (Florida State): 7.31
  • Brandon Dorlus (Oregon): 7.43
  • Eric Watts (UConn): 7.59
Can you pick up the difference between 7.02 and 7.3 with your eye? It definitely matters but I haven’t read anywhere that Verse is slow off the snap and he clearly has great anticipation because he presses the pocket almost instantly.

I would be stoked if we drafted Dorius at 283 pounds to play inside of Verse

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I don't want to put words in Elm's mouth but there are a lot of shallow positions in this draft class and just some weird ones that lump certain places. At least, that's the perceived view. The perceived view before last night was that Penix and Nix were 2nd rounders!

But, hey! - let's get back to perceived: WR, great at top, deep through day 2. OT great at top, deep through day 2. Guard meh (not including tackles moved to guard, refer to deep tackle class above). Center deep. TE almost non existent. RB a bunch of late 2nd/3rd round guys and nothing before or after. EDGE shallow. Safety shallow. ILB almost non existent. CB allllllmost shallow. DT shallow. ST's - who knows, like anyone pays attention.

I think that's everything.
I disagree on DT. 3 positions will probably go on runs tomorrow. WR, OL, and DT. CBs could join that group too.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He is raw as a rusher. Dude is out there in the SEC making plays with a fuckin bull rush. He's a power end.

What he is going to learn in camp is a rip move to get under that outside shoulder of the OT. They're gonna teach him how to swat hands and shit too, and get him into that OT body with his power to convert for more wins. I wouldn't be in such a hurry to pigeon hole this dude. A few techniques could change his game quite a bit.
These are things that are learned if he's willing to be taught and it sounds like he will be.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I disagree on DT. 3 positions will probably go on runs tomorrow. WR, OL, and DT. CBs could join that group too.
Fair!

Like I said, Penix and Nix went in the first round!

Also, just cause a position is shallow doesn't mean there won't be a gem or two late. But probably only a gem or two late. There's gonna be a ton of JAGS from 4th round on at a number of positions but not all!

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I would be stoked if we drafted Dorius at 283 pounds to play inside of Verse
One issue is he would be similar to Turner ... might not fit the scheme ... he might. Had short arms though ... but Rams have had one way they've gone. One taller kind of DE 4i/5t and Donald ... with Turner playing Donald's spot it raises question as to what they want opposite him ... someone similar to Kobie? Or someone similar to Brockers or Ashwn or Jonah Williams, a taller DE type.

They could go with Doruius and play with two similar guys on either side of Brown.

Fiske would probably be better if he lasts.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think there was one edge in this class who was in that upper range group and he had medical questions. And also went to the Colts of course.

Verse is a tier down from those top guys. But I don't think he's capped out or anything. McVay mentioned he has an array of moves or whatever but I don't really see that on his vids. So maybe I missed them. To me though I'd say he has a fair chance to get better in his technique and hand usage which will benefit his power. Power plays in this league for sure but you can't just bullrush dudes. They're consistently better across the board, he'll get stoned hard game to game.

Latu would have been a day one threat. Verse probably is a guy who builds as he goes. And I'll take that.
Time to get on the Bat Phone and call Aaron Freakin Donald! He school the kid up on his moves!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Also, WalterFuckballs is a fucking idiot who rated this as a "B-minus". A B-fucking-minus for, whom I think, was the best edge rusher in this class. I am absolutely a fan of Verse,.

He had such an incredible year last year that he could've entered the 2023 draft and been drafted top fifteen with no issues. And then he topped it with the tape this year, became a much better player, even though he didn't get all of the statistics others expected.

He's going to be an incredible player for us.