Rd 1, pick 19, Rams Select EDGE/DL Jared Verse

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
A bit of an interesting tale of the tape with Jared Verse:

He crushed the broad jump testing in the 92nd percentile and did well in the vertical (71st percentile).

But he did poorly in the 3 cone (32nd percentile) and not great in the shuttle (43rd percentile).

Many swear by the 3 cone as a measure for success for pass rushers. A sub-7.0s 3 cone is desired. Jared tested at 7.31s.

His metrics show that he is explosive with great lower body strength but not necessarily super agile or possessing quick change of direction.

His tape backs up the raw explosiveness and power. He doesn’t necessarily look stiff on film but you wouldn’t say his bend or agility stands out.

I think the Ryan Kerrigan comp is fair. Or a more explosive ZaDarius Smith. His floor is high.
Greg Cossell said Verse was too stiff to be a 3/4 olb type. He's stiff in the hips and ankles. I didn't think he was a great fit for the Rams, Snead seems to emphasize the 3 cone and short shuttle, but we haven't seen what Shula's plan is for the defense. It was reported that they love his character, which was a key to having a successful 2023 draft..

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
There is plenty of talent in this class, and I’ve seen plenty that have said as much that are pretty credible.

That’s outside of doing my own assessment of watching what I can of the players that catch my attention. Going to be some pretty good gems late in this draft.
Think what you like. I'll take the opinions of Nate Tice, Charles Robinson, PFF, Randy Mueller, Dane Brugler, Matt Miller and several of the other people I've read or listened to on the subject. I'll just file right next to your opinion on Justin Fields :fistbump1:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

He crushed the broad jump testing in the 92nd percentile and did well in the vertical (71st percentile).

But he did poorly in the 3 cone (32nd percentile) and not great in the shuttle (43rd percentile).

Many swear by the 3 cone as a measure for success for pass rushers. A sub-7.0s 3 cone is desired. Jared tested at 7.31s.

His metrics show that he is explosive with great lower body strength but not necessarily super agile or possessing quick change of direction.

His tape backs up the raw explosiveness and power. He doesn’t necessarily look stiff on film but you wouldn’t say his bend or agility stands out.

I think the Ryan Kerrigan comp is fair. Or a more explosive ZaDarius Smith. His floor is high.
He is raw as a rusher. Dude is out there in the SEC making plays with a fuckin bull rush. He's a power end.

What he is going to learn in camp is a rip move to get under that outside shoulder of the OT. They're gonna teach him how to swat hands and shit too, and get him into that OT body with his power to convert for more wins. I wouldn't be in such a hurry to pigeon hole this dude. A few techniques could change his game quite a bit.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

I don't believe that is correct. The 7.31 is correct but that's a good number for an Edge.

Checked the Combine's 3-cone results by position; and no Edge had a sub-7.0 time.

Below is a cut-and-paste from what I found:

Notable 3-cone times (Edge)
  • Marshawn Kneeland (Western Michigan): 7.02
  • Nelson Ceaser (Houston): 7.30
  • Jared Verse (Florida State): 7.31
  • Brandon Dorlus (Oregon): 7.43
  • Eric Watts (UConn): 7.59

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
Absolutely love the pick. A great player in a position of need. He fell right to them. Can't ask for anything better.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey, mods? I just noticed that I made a mistake in the title of the thread; the Rams are not selecting "at" Jared Verse, it's meant to be "Rams select Jared Verse at 19 overall". That's why you don't post hot off the press, people.

Again, totally my bad, my screwup. If you could fix the thread title, it would be wonderful, thank you.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Just watching the clips, dude has some heavy hands. Power in those mitts!
And he can take down guys with one arm, beast.
Glad he is a Ram.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Go Noles!

Dude is a beast. I watch every FSU game and I can remember thinking that this guy is a top 5 draft pick and we'd never have a shot at landing him. I'm very surprised.

One Man Savage Wrecking Crew.
How would Fiske look beside him?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't believe that is correct. The 7.31 is correct but that's a good number for an Edge.

Checked the Combine's 3-cone results by position; and no Edge had a sub-7.0 time.

Yeah the misconceptions about this guy are all over the place.

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
He is raw as a rusher. Dude is out there in the SEC making plays with a fuckin bull rush. He's a power end.

What he is going to learn in camp is a rip move to get under that outside shoulder of the OT. They're gonna teach him how to swat hands and shit too, and get him into that OT body with his power to convert for more wins. I wouldn't be in such a hurry to pigeon hole this dude. A few techniques could change his game quite a bit.

Oh I agree he will be a different player after some NFL coaching. Nobody trying to pigeon hole him.
Just presenting the data and projection as he currently is.

From 2012-2020 just 2 pass rushers drafted in the first 2 rounds have “busted” with a sub-7.0 3-cone time. Add just 3 more when you bring the threshold to 7.19. So 75% of all pass rusher “busts” had a 3-cone time of 7.19 or slower.

Not the end all be all but a decent “benchmark” of success.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Braddahs

He creates havoc for the other team's offense that there are no stats for. He's a HUGE reason why FSU was undefeated and rolling until Jordan Travis QB went down at the end of the year.

He's gonna be a SERIOUS WEAPON for our D.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
How would Fiske look beside him?

Honestly... Verse just stood out like a man amongst boys on the field compared to the players on the other team AND his teammates. Hoping it will be that same way now that he's in Horns.

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter

Liking the weaknesses!

Scouting report​

Jared Verse is an Albany transfer who was unranked coming out of high school. He would've been a first-round pick after the 2022 season, but he returned to Florida State and will again be a first-round pick in 2024. He plays with heavy hands and is twitchy off the edge. When he is locked in, he is unblockable.

Strengths
  • Stout at the point of attack
  • Plays with heavy hands and has a quick get-off that consistently beats offensive tackles
Weaknesses

• Made huge stride in Year 1 at Florida State, but leveled off some in Year 2
  • Very little to not love about his game

Last edited:

Flint

Pro Bowler
Agreed. What is interesting with Verse is he doesn't have a very well developed assortment of techniques. It's bullrush, inside move, swat an occasional hand when he takes it wide.

So what happens when the Rams start teaching this dude some shit. Hopefully fireworks.
Wonder if there’re any former Rams with some free time who might teach him some techniques?