Rams seem set with right side of their offensive line-ESPN

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams seem set with right side of their offensive line

Alden Gonzalez

IRVINE, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Rams alternated the alignment of their offensive line last Sunday, and now it appears they are sticking with it.

For Saturday's preseason opener against the Dallas Cowboys, Rob Havenstein started at right tackle (the position he played throughout college and in the NFL) and Jamon Brown started at right guard (where he spent most of the last two years with the Rams). The two were flipped throughout the offseason program and in the early part of training camp, but the Rams seem to prefer this look.

Speaking after the 13-10 win from Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, Rams coach Sean McVay said, "I feel like Rob’s really settling in nice at that tackle position, and Jamon will be our right guard right now unless something changes. I think it’s about those guys getting more and more comfortable."

The offensive line appears set, with Havenstein at right tackle, Brown at right guard, John Sullivan at center, Rodger Saffold at left guard and Andrew Whitworth at left tackle.

After that, it remains a question. The Rams' second-team offensive line struggled in pass protection on Saturday, with backup center Austin Blythe airmailing a snap and backup tackle Pace Murphy allowing defensive ends to blow past him on at least three occasions. The issue has been exacerbated by the knee injury that has kept a versatile Andrew Donnal from practicing.

There were a couple times on our edges that we did get loose," McVay said. "... The expectations that our players have for themselves, that we have for them, has got to be higher than what we performed at down in and down out last night. That’s the way we’ll approach this week.”

[www.espn.com]

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-14_7-35-20.png
    upload_2017-8-14_7-35-20.png
    464.8 KB · Views: 101

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Many of us might overact to the offensive line play especially on Brown when Gurley got hit for a loss, however, the pass blocking by the first unit was fine even when Havenstein and Brown stayed in with Mannion at Quarterback, so that is a plus. Pace Murphy had a bad game so we shall see what next week holds. I usually don't post that the Rams will pick somebody up when cut, but I have a feeling they will especially a tackle.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Many of us might overact to the offensive line play especially on Brown when Gurley got hit for a loss, however, the pass blocking by the first unit was fine even when Havenstein and Brown stayed in with Mannion at Quarterback, so that is a plus. Pace Murphy had a bad game so we shall see what next week holds. I usually don't post that the Rams will pick somebody up when cut, but I have a feeling they will especially a tackle.
I think you are right. I think our OL will be fine come opening day. Brown obviously has to play better in the run game. When Donnal gets back and Blythe gets his snaps down, I think we are fine. Now Murphy might be another story thus a pickup come cut day may be in the offering.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I think your right on as well. I just watched the 2 of them play Saturday against Dallas. Brown messed up the 2nd play of the game, other than that besides not staying with a block was fine. He actually helped pick up a rusher who got by Big Rob on a spin move(inside rush) .
They both played an extra series together with Mannion while the 3 veterans were done for the night.

Also no matter how is looks between them I like that they have both got reps at each position. This is a positive thing moving forward , because of depth. You know they both can fill in at either position.

Big Game

Living The Dream

Yes one of the commentators said that the Cowboys defense was stacking the box and daring Goff to beat them. To be honest with the addition of Sammy Watkins if you do that we will win one on one's with Watkins, Kupp, Austin, and Woods. The coverage will loosen up as we play games and Gurley and the o line blocking for runs should be just fine.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Yes one of the commentators said that the Cowboys defense was stacking the box and daring Goff to beat them. To be honest with the addition of Sammy Watkins if you do that we will win one on one's with Watkins, Kupp, Austin, and Woods. The coverage will loosen up as we play games and Gurley and the o line blocking for runs should be just fine.
Agreed -- I can see the offense adopting a "pass to set up the run" mentality. Having a healthy Watkins AND a healthy Austin could go a long way toward keeping defenses honest.

jap

Legend
I did not notice in this last game. Didn't the 'Boys send more defenders than our tally of blockers whenever Gurley carried the rock? Because if our OL guys had to block more than one defender you cannot really say that OL guy failed.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Donnal, Wichmann, Williams or Blythe will step in for brown if he can't get it done.

Rams depth sucks at OL. I fully expect the Rams to sign one or two after roster cut down. Dunn and Kozan are camp bodies and will be watching games on TV when the regular season starts.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I did not notice in this last game. Didn't the 'Boys send more defenders than our tally of blockers whenever Gurley carried the rock? Because if our OL guys had to block more than one defender you cannot really say that OL guy failed.
The Jamon Brown wiff on like the 2nd play was beaten by the guy in front of him to nail Gurley 2 yards behind the LOS. He was beaten like a rented mule on that play, regardless of the box getting stacked. Now, I have to say on a couple of other runs, you did see LBer's coming to our right side when Gurley tried to make a play which wasn't Brown's nor Haventein's fault. I was even a little more critical of Gurley than on first blush, because he broke inside towards the stacked box instead of breaking wide around the edge, which seems to be a vision issue for him.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Yes clearly the Rams were trying to see what they got in Jamon & Hav at the point of attack, but remember with zone runs the back side is crucial. The chopping or ability to stay engaged while flowing is what creates the cut up lanes for the RB (the entire philosophy of zone running), and since the Rams don't chop they have to rely on first step technique, quickness and tenacity. The positive is I saw the tenacity, but unfortunately not a lot of great technique or communication back side yet.

I saw very little horizontal action creating the space for lanes, the only lateral movement being a Ram flailing at trying to catch up to unblocked penetration. One play Whitworth did not engage the defender head-up on him and left an impossible reach for the TE, which resulted in backside penetration that provided the coup de grace tackle. Of course that's Whitworth's primary assignment, to flow playside to create horizontal movement on the outside zone, but it's the same problem we saw running zone last year -- if the personnel has bad technique or lacks the quickness to reach block, at some point have to combo it instead, but then it defeats the entire philosophy of the zone scheme... but I would have liked to see Whitworth make a different call there to combo. Perhaps if we can settle down on a first unit these calls will come.

Of course then there was the opposite problem when Sullivan did not reach to his playside ILB and instead blocked down on the backside ILB -- contrary to the philosophy of the horizontal flow -- which left the playside ILB free to make the tackle.

So right now it's kinda the same issues as last year -- point of attack is not strong, the backside technique is poor, and the communication always seems the opposite of what they should have called. Tiny sample size so no reason to freak out about it yet, but it's a shame Gurley didn't get a better showing as he needs a confidence boost at some point. Another positive note Saffold looked pretty damn good. I've always been kinda hard on him but he might end up the underrated piece of this OL this season.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Sports
LA Rams’ Head Coach Sean McVay Hints Changes Could Be Coming Along Offensive Line

There’s been a lot of hubbub over the past couple of days regarding the Los Angeles Rams’ acquisition of former Buffalo Bills’ receiver Sammy Watkins. And while, provided health, Watkins should be a the Rams’ top deep threat option this year, there was probably no more sound move this offseason by the Rams than signing left tackle Andrew Whitworth.

Whitworth saw limited time, along with the rest of the starters on Saturday night in the Rams’ first preseason game against the Cowboys, but fans got exactly what they expected: the big man taking care of business.

That wasn’t necessarily the case for some of his counterparts along the offensive line though. And after the game, head coach Sean McVay hinted that there might be a change coming:

Until you get a chance to really go back and look at the film because of all five and the continuity upfront, it’s really difficult to say. We had a couple runs where it seemed like they got into our backfield, but I think when you’ve looked at that group as a whole, feel really good about some of those players and now it’s about gelling together. I think when you look at (RG) Jamon Brown and (RT) Rob Havenstein having gone back and forth between guard and tackle. I feel like Rob’s really settling in nice at that tackle position and Jamon’s will be our right guard right now unless something changes. I think it’s about those guys getting more and more comfortable. They’re talented players, but they’re still very young in terms of their experience. And then when you look at the left side, these are veteran players that have never played together. So it’s about them being able to establish that continuity with those five. We feel very good about them and we know that, like anybody else on this team, we have room for improvement but I think we have a chance to be pretty good upfront with those guys.

That’s certainly not a ringing endorsement for Jamon Brown, who, in somewhat surprising fashion, was penciled in as the team’s starting right tackle early on in camp. Whether it was his inability to smoothly transition outside, or Rob Havenstein’s resurgence to rookie form, the coaching staff saw fit to switch them back to positions they were more familiar with prior to the Cowboys game.

Despite the experience at the position, it didn’t take long to witness Brown’s struggle (video will be stripped for Google Amp users).

Now, it could simply be that Brown was shaking off the rust. It was his first live action against an opponent in some time, so maybe he just wasn’t up to task Saturday night.

Or it could be something more. And it could require the Rams to make a necessary change. Whether it’s in-house, or after cuts are made by other NFL teams remains to be seen, but there’s still time for Brown to earn the starting job.

If, by chance, the Rams do look elsewhere, they should also look for a backup tackle...because Pace Murphy (No. 72) is not that.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I'm going to reply again coach . Your totally correct , except maybe The Rams really don't need to pick up a extra lineman , unless Donnal can not comeback from his injury. I think he is the biggest depth guy.

My question is how hurt is Pace Murray playing ?? Today is the last day of hitting in practice & the dog days of summer training camp !!

I think having him move around USA freaking good thing. I know he has been a sieve . Right now I'll agree it is a option. I'm sure Kromer has a handle on it. I think building through the practice squad will be key. I also think THE 5 STARTERS ARE SOLID !! Going to blast some negative fans.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Jamon will be our right guard right now unless something changes"

So basically he's the right guard unless someone else is.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Many of us might overact to the offensive line play especially on Brown when Gurley got hit for a loss,
Agree

Brown obviously has to play better in the run game.
yep

The Jamon Brown wiff on like the 2nd play was beaten by the guy in front of him to nail Gurley 2 yards behind the LOS. He was beaten like a rented mule on that play, regardless of the box getting stacked.

I did overreact....should seen how pissed I was at the 2nd play of the game....Still haven't watched the replay....but my main point was....is...the guys that were beating these guys are rookies...Brown shouldn't be allowing rookie DT's to beat him...2nd play...like he couldn't even put a hand on a guy right in front of his face. Did the defender KNOW the snap count?

I'd still kick the tires on Brandon Albert...see if he wants to try Right tackle.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don't have that feeling right now den. If Kromer can get those 2 healthy OT healthy by next week there should be no real concerns. The loss of Andrew Donnal is really huge thus far. AD is the key at the moment. Williams finally put on a decent show @ LT last Saturday been long time since he has looked decent. His RT play is still ugly. Murphy has held his own good last season as a rookie but it appears that elbow is giving his major issues currently. Murphy did go in after Goff/Whitworth left & played a long time as 2nd team LT....HD assignment for this injured braced up UDFA. Murphy played longer than any other Ram Ol'er @ OT Saturday. JB got all that OTA & early PS practice @ RT so he is an emergency plan RT. I listed seven OT's below:

Ram OT's :
#1-Andrew Whitworth- Starter
#2-Rob Havenstein- Starter
#3-Andrew Donnal -6th OL'er/ RT/RG/LG (Injured knee most all TC) 3rd season
#4-Jamon Brown-Starter @ RG -reserve RT 3rd season
#5-Darrell Williams- Swing OT experienced 3rd Ram TC/ 2nd season
#6-Pace Murphy- Swing OT 2nd season (injured Elbow)
#7-Micheal Dunn- Swing OT Rookie

I am still not sold on Jamon Brown being a good starting RIGHT OG. Now IF AD goes on IR & Murphy does not get healthy & improve then I can see Snead trading off some of our OLB'er fat for a RT.

Last edited: