Rams seem serious about Case Keenum as starting quarterback

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
6.5 points sounds easy but they don't get any extra time to score them. At first I thought, no problem. But then I tried to figure how it happens. That would mean turning two of their usual field goals into touchdowns, or scoring an extra touchdown a week on top of those usual field goals. That is not easy to do with a ball control offense designed to eat clock, especially with Fishers aversion to throwing downfield later in games. How many three and out drives using all running play's in the second half, is he willing to give up?

Maybe I shouldn't have said Keenum can't do it. With Asshole Face as OC, or Mike Martz as Head Coach, sure he can. But with Fisher's offensive approach, adding a full touchdown every game is a tall order, especially with an career back-up, and rookie receivers.

Well, … I was figuring we could gain 4 points per game on offense and the defense could shave 2.25 points allowed off each game, creating the 6.25 points you were alluding to earlier. I forgot at the time that our defense had 2 shut-out games last season, so that skewed things a bit, but i'm gonna stand by my earlier post as I believe it's possible, even if not so probable. If the Rams forego a highly drafted QB for the two receivers, i'm still in. If I lose, don't worry, you won't be drinking alone, i'll be sure to buy a case for myself also. :cheers:

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
It would have been nice to see Mannion start a few games at the end of last year. For all we know he could be our QB of the future but Fisher won't play him.We know what Keenum can or can't do and we know he is not the future.Had Mannion been given the chance in the last 4-5 games we could've found our starter.If he failed at least we would know and probably have a better draft pick top 10 maybe.Either way we would be in a better position this offseason knowing exactly what we had and need to do.

This is where I was too - we knew the season was over, we knew Foles was over, we knew what Keenum could/couldn't do, I would have loved to have seen what Mannion could have done. It would have given him NFL experience and we'd still have Keenum as our #2

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Man this thread is depressing. During the offseason you forget about fisherball for awhile but this thread stirred up all those helpless feelings watching the offense.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well, … I was figuring we could gain 4 points per game on offense and the defense could shave 2.25 points allowed off each game, creating the 6.25 points you were alluding to earlier. I forgot at the time that our defense had 2 shut-out games last season, so that skewed things a bit, but i'm gonna stand by my earlier post as I believe it's possible, even if not so probable. If the Rams forego a highly drafted QB for the two receivers, i'm still in. If I lose, don't worry, you won't be drinking alone, i'll be sure to buy a case for myself also. :cheers:

If they do find a way to get a 6.25 point swing per game, then that means everything is clicking, and Fisher an d Sneads plan has finally come together if that is the case, I won't be complaining.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We were 7-9 last year and nick foles had one of the worst seasons in nfl history.
While I agree that Foles was pretty bad overall last year, we don't win the Seahawks opener or the 1st Cards game without him. He played great in those games. Keenum may have won us a game or two that Foles lost for us, but I cant honestly say Keenum woulda won those games.

Overall with our D and running game, I can see the team compete and maybe win 7-9 games with Keenum, which likely puts us back further in the draft next year. At 15, moving up for a top QB seems difficult, it will get even worse at 20. IMO, this is our best year to move up, or else we'll have to "hope" we can get the next Wilson or Brady

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Would be the best team record in 11 seasons
200.gif

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Need i remind anyone that the Rams finished dead last offensively in 3rd down conversion percentage last season?
26% to be exact. Gurley is a beast but that's the area where having a legit NFL QB will separate the playoff teams from the wannabees.
Rams finished 6th worst in 2014 too. Why? Backup QB's can't make plays on 3rd and long facing a pass rush.

Is Keenum going to be able to make those plays? Idk. No one here knows. In my opinion the answer is no.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Keenum produced in college. He set records in an aggressive offense. But, he wasn't considered a great NFL prospect. Why? He isn't as physically gifted. However, the guy has some great qualities that in a good situation may equal success in the NFL.

I hope he is the Rams Doug Flutie. But, the questions on offense are still there. Hopefully bringing in Mike Groh and a few more pass catchers can answer those questions. Until we know though, I remain skeptical.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Rams 7-9 again if lucky. I am not even sure why the Rams drafted Mannion.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Need i remind anyone that the Rams finished dead last offensively in 3rd down conversion percentage last season?
26% to be exact.
That's true, and it's a concern. But Keenum only played the last 5 games, and the Rams' 3rd down conversion % went up over the last 5 games. Over the last 5, the Rams had a 31% conversion rate. Consider how bad it had to be before that to *end up with* a 25.87% conversion rate. All this says to me is that Keenum is a little better, and the Rams are sorely lacking in the dominant receiver category.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
Keenum is the bridge QB for the rookie, plain and simple.

Who that rookie will be is what is important. Will they move up for Goff? I think Wentz requires 1 overall which will not happen, but the Rams could move to the 6 range much easier. Will they wait at 15 for Lynch and take him if he's there, or otherwise get a WR? Getting a WR includes, btw, a slight move down to ensure value, but they could also just take Doctson there I think and get reasonable value.

Or will they target QB at round 2. And if so who would that be? Prescott has to figure in there, he is a very good fit for the Rams but for him to get past that gauntlet of the Jets, Broncos, etc plus teams moving back into round 2 ahead of the Rams to take him is a threat. Cook is also in play in round 2 for the Rams, I think that is the spot the Rams see value with him, no way they take him at 15 unless they give in to desperation.

If it gets to round 3 with the Rams not having a QB there are only three guys I like there and beyond: Doughty, Hogan, and Allen. And at that point they are entering the range where they have no recourse but to reach for one. This is why I think they get 'er done in the first two rounds at a minimum.

Bump.

Watching Prescott in the first half had me thinking that I had liked this idea of Merlin's.

I wasn't unhappy with Goff - love the way it comes out of his hand and if Cooper had held onto that catch before the half his numbers would have been better. Still a win is a win.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's true, and it's a concern. But Keenum only played the last 5 games, and the Rams' 3rd down conversion % went up over the last 5 games. Over the last 5, the Rams had a 31% conversion rate. Consider how bad it had to be before that to *end up with* a 25.87% conversion rate. All this says to me is that Keenum is a little better, and the Rams are sorely lacking in the dominant receiver category.
Where you at, X?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

I bet $500.00 on the 329 - 369 Inclusive for total points scored, then bet another $500.00 on the under 342.5 total points allowed. I also bet $250.00 that our D would finish top 10.

It's a risk on O scoring those 50 points over last year, but with Gurley playing an entire season and the game 1 preseason outing, i'm feeling pretty good about our rookie receivers and Goff, also believe our O-Line will be much improved if we can keep the injuries under control. My personal belief is that we have a much improved D-Line if Quinn is 100%, and the LB corp should also be improved, so my only concern with the D is in regards to the DB's. Part of my offensive gamble is hoping that Goff becomes the team starting QB no later than sometime prior to the BYE, in fact, I won't object if Goff gets the call against the 49'ers to begin the new season. I still have a number of reservations about our veteran receivers, but then again, i'm not exactly betting with my own money.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah well...
giphy.gif