Rams seem serious about Case Keenum as starting quarterback

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams seem serious about Case Keenum as starting quarterback
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ous-about-case-keenum-as-starting-quarterback

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- It all sounded so familiar.

After another season of quarterback play that was below average or worse, Los Angeles Rams coach Jeff Fisher stood before a throng of media the day after the season ended and offered an endorsement for Case Keenum as his starting quarterback. Fisher didn't go as far as he did in 2014 when he repeatedly and emphatically said Sam Bradford was his guy, but he did make it clear that Keenum would at least figure into the mix for the starting job in 2016.

As it turned out, Bradford was the team's starter right up until the day the Rams traded him to the Philadelphia Eagles for Nick Foles and a second-round pick. So it was only natural to wonder just how invested the Rams were in Keenum, at least until the opening days of free agency when they could begin looking elsewhere for help at the game's most important position.

We're now more than a week into the new league year and the only move the Rams have made at the position has been to offer more than just words about how they feel about Keenum. Scheduled to be a restricted free agent, Keenum received a first-round qualifying offer from the Rams. The move protects them from losing Keenum to another team without compensation, but more than that it sent a message that the Rams' belief in Keenum is more than just lip service.

"It's the first time that I've had a coach believe in me through the offseason like this," Keenum said. "So, I'm excited about the position that I'm in and the position the team is in. I think we're poised to make that next step and be a playoff contender."

To be sure, there's still time for the Rams to explore options. In this free agency period, they've been connected to everyone from Peyton Manning to Ryan Fitzpatrick to Robert Griffin III. But the reality is that they haven't really expressed serious interest in any of them. While that could still change if the price and fit are right, it doesn't appear that the Rams have designs on adding another veteran from another team.

It's also worth noting that for the Rams to add another quarterback, whether via the draft or free agency, they would need to delete one. On the current roster, Nick Foles would be the most logical candidate to go, but the Rams would have to find a trade partner to avoid a large amount of dead money going toward this year's salary cap.

Considering those financial implications, it might be more financially prudent to add a quarterback via the draft, where the low price would help balance the hit of subtracting Foles. Also, none of the quarterbacks on the free-agent market appear to be clear-cut upgrades over what the Rams already have in place. Such is the state of the quarterback position in the NFL.

Which means that if the Rams are going to add another signal-caller, it more likely would come from the draft. By now, you've already seen the Rams tied to Memphis quarterback Paxton Lynch with the No. 15 overall pick. They had a sit-down interview with him at the scouting combine so there's at least some interest there. But the Rams also have done their homework on other quarterbacks in this draft class.

At last month's NFL combine, the Rams reportedly scheduled sit-down interviews with Lynch, Cal's Jared Goff, North Dakota State's Carson Wentz, Michigan State's Connor Cook, USC's Cody Kessler, Ohio State's Cardale Jones and Stanford's Kevin Hogan, among others. At Michigan State's pro day Wednesday, the Rams were spotted spending time with Cook before he went through his workout.

But even if the Rams add one of those players in the draft -- and keep in mind they probably aren't picking high enough to land one of the top two or so -- there's no guarantee that player will be ready to come in and start right away. Even someone like Lynch, who could go in the first round and be available to the Rams.

"Paxton Lynch, two, three, four years down the road, is going to be a really good quarterback," ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said. "You take him. He'll need a little time. If you have the ability and he's afforded that opportunity, he can be really good. If he's going to be expected to be a great quarterback right away, which unfortunately we expect in some cases, maybe you'll be a little disappointed."

All of which is to say that barring a big move up for a top quarterback in the draft, chances are good that Keenum will enter training camp with a chance to follow through on the words of his coach.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Do they plan on Sean Mannion holding a clipboard all year again? Is Nick Foles salvageable?

I guess we find out.

Rams 2016------8 and 8 no post season.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I want one of the top QB prospects this draft, no doot aboot it. But can you imagine a draft of Treadwell, Henry and Boyd in the first two rounds? Treadwell, Henry, Boyd, Tavon, Britt and Gurley? I think Case would tear shit up with that. He won't be Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady, but we'll win more games. It's starting to look like an all offense draft with the way FA is going.

jap

Legend
I see some of the members here are already bracing themselves for a trade-up to secure Wentz|Goff. I hope these members are not setting themselves up for disappointment. The last two 1st round selections by the Horns were Aaron (2014) and Todd (2015). No body really saw either of those coming as Snisher is really adept at playing things close to the vest and blowing smoke and flashing false mirrors at everyone.

I want to believe they are gonna make a splash myself, but they just might fool everyone . . . again!

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is starting to feel like Trump for president...

At first it was funny...

Then it was wait is this actually serious? ...

He can't actually win the position can he?

Now it just feels inevitable...

(Disclaimer. ..not looking for a political argument)

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see some of the members here are already bracing themselves for a trade-up to secure Wentz|Goff. I hope these members are not setting themselves up for disappointment. The last two 1st round selections by the Horns were Aaron (2014) and Todd (2015). No body really saw either of those coming as Snisher is really adept at playing things close to the vest and blowing smoke and flashing false mirrors at everyone.

I want to believe they are gonna make a splash myself, but they just might fool everyone . . . again!

Well, in 2014 their First 1st round selection was Greg Robinson. In fact, their first pick in the draft each of the past 3 seasons was offense (Austin, Robinson, Gurley). But yes, they always play it close to the vest for the draft. Even last year, we expected them to draft an OL or two, but they spent most of the draft on it, after taking a RB first.

The only predictable thing is that their first pick will be somebody they think is BPA. Even Brockers was - they figured he was BPA, but would be available later, so traded down.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
If this is still the status quo to start training camp, then we can panic. Until then, still lots of options out there - including almost all of the ones that we began this offseason hoping for.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I am a big advocate of doing so, but I can't say whether or not I expect it. I just hope that they think the same as me on the QB issue. On a side note the Rams were at Connor Cooks pro day at MSU. I think I even saw Fisher in the background. I am not a Cook guy but I could see Fisher picking him.

Edit: Just read that the Rams, Browns, and 49ers all interviewed him in East Lansing at the Pro day.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig

I know I am in the minority here but I strongly hope a trade up is not the case. IMO, none of the QBs in this class are worth the cost of moving from 15 to 1.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
We'll he is the offseason starter, though I'm still having trouble finding these offseason games on TV.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Do they plan on Sean Mannion holding a clipboard all year again? Is Nick Foles salvageable?

I guess we find out.

Rams 2016------8 and 8 no post season.

I believe Keenum is a cut above Davis (noodle arm) and could give us 9-10 wins with Gurley and a solid D. I want to see Mannion take the helm.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I know I am in the minority here but I strongly hope a trade up is not the case. IMO, none of the QBs in this class are worth the cost of moving from 15 to 1.

I agree with you. not saying I don't want a QB but I'd prefer we let the draft come to us.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Keenum is the bridge QB for the rookie, plain and simple.

Who that rookie will be is what is important. Will they move up for Goff? I think Wentz requires 1 overall which will not happen, but the Rams could move to the 6 range much easier. Will they wait at 15 for Lynch and take him if he's there, or otherwise get a WR? Getting a WR includes, btw, a slight move down to ensure value, but they could also just take Doctson there I think and get reasonable value.

Or will they target QB at round 2. And if so who would that be? Prescott has to figure in there, he is a very good fit for the Rams but for him to get past that gauntlet of the Jets, Broncos, etc plus teams moving back into round 2 ahead of the Rams to take him is a threat. Cook is also in play in round 2 for the Rams, I think that is the spot the Rams see value with him, no way they take him at 15 unless they give in to desperation.

If it gets to round 3 with the Rams not having a QB there are only three guys I like there and beyond: Doughty, Hogan, and Allen. And at that point they are entering the range where they have no recourse but to reach for one. This is why I think they get 'er done in the first two rounds at a minimum.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree with you. not saying I don't want a QB but I'd prefer we let the draft come to us.

I think that can be said for any other position in Football.......but when you need a QB and other teams do to, they very rarely ever come to you.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Or will they target QB at round 2. And if so who would that be? Prescott has to figure in there, he is a very good fit for the Rams but for him to get past that gauntlet of the Jets, Broncos, etc plus teams moving back into round 2 ahead of the Rams to take him is a threat. Cook is also in play in round 2 for the Rams, I think that is the spot the Rams see value with him, no way they take him at 15 unless they give in to desperation.

I could see the Rams trading down in the first round if whomever they want isn't there at 15, picking up an extra pick or two, and then taking a QB.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I could see the Rams trading down in the first round if whomever they want isn't there at 15, picking up an extra pick or two, and then taking a QB.

Or trading for picks in next years draft to have ammo to make a move for a QB then.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
It would have been nice to see Mannion start a few games at the end of last year. For all we know he could be our QB of the future but Fisher won't play him.We know what Keenum can or can't do and we know he is not the future.Had Mannion been given the chance in the last 4-5 games we could've found our starter.If he failed at least we would know and probably have a better draft pick top 10 maybe.Either way we would be in a better position this offseason knowing exactly what we had and need to do.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Yes that is definitely a possibility. If Fisher and Snead really believe in their plan, then they don't think they need a top tier QB. The probably figure a league average guy will succeed with a top defense that holds teams to less than (What was it? 17 points?)however many points. If that is their conviction then why would they feel the need to land an Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck type Qb? Thing is even if you take a QB number 1 overall, he could still just end up being Alex Smith. A lot of people think that is the ceiling for this group of QBs.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am a big advocate of doing so, but I can't say whether or not I expect it. I just hope that they think the same as me on the QB issue. On a side note the Rams were at Connor Cooks pro day at MSU. I think I even saw Fisher in the background. I am not a Cook guy but I could see Fisher picking him.

Edit: Just read that the Rams, Browns, and 49ers all interviewed him in East Lansing at the Pro day.
I'm not a huge fan of cook but if he fell to the second id be ecstatic. He reminds me of dalton and I think that cook, along with good receivers (treadwell or Doctson maybe?) and gurley, Tavon, and a top defense can win us games. We were 7-9 last year and nick foles had one of the worst seasons in nfl history. His flaws were always there (not reading defenses, inconsistent, and didn't go through progressions). Maybe cook is a notch above him in those aspects?