Rams secondary of primary concern against Lions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams secondary of primary concern against Lions

By RICH HAMMOND / STAFF WRITER

DETROIT – The Rams’ top cornerback was out with an injury, so another stepped up and made a game-changing play. It happened last season against Detroit, so can it happen again?

To be sure, the loss of Trumaine Johnson is no small thing for the Rams. He’s been playing well, and while he’s out with an ankle injury the Rams secondary will be challenged, particularly on Sunday against the Detroit Lions and strong-armed quarterback Matthew Stafford at Ford Field.

“Everybody knows that Tru is a great corner for us,” safety Maurice Alexander said this week. “It’s hard, but it’s the ‘next man up’ philosophy. That’s what we live by on defense.”

That man, now, is E.J. Gaines. In last year’s game against Detroit, top cornerback Janoris Jenkins was out with a concussion. Johnson stepped into the No. 1 spot and returned an interception 58 yards for a touchdown in the Rams’ 21-14 victory.

Now, with Johnson out, Gaines moves into the top spot. Set to be a starter in 2015, before a season-ending foot injury, Gaines missed much of training camp with injuries but has looked strong in his last two games.

“I feel like, every game, I’m getting it a little more back and getting back into the swing of things,” Gaines said. “After you sit out a whole year, it takes a while, but I’m just trying to make as many plays as I can for this defense.”

Opponents have tested the Rams secondary, which has defended 198 passes, the sixth-highest total in the NFL. The Rams have held opponents to a 60.1 completion percentage and 6.5 yards per pass attempt, and the Rams defense ranks in the top seven in both categories.

The Rams have done a good job against strong-armed quarterbacks Carson Palmer (Arizona) and Jameis Winston (Tampa Bay) and have yet to allow a touchdown pass of longer than 8 yards.

Now comes the biggest challenge to date. Stafford, in five games this season, has completed 68 percent of his passes for 1,378 yards, 10 touchdowns and 4 interceptions. He’s thriving without former star (now retired) receiver Calvin Johnson and with significant injuries at running back.

“He’s a challenge to prepare for,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “He can see the field, he knows where to go with the football. You can’t trick him, you can’t surprise him.”

And, if you’re the Rams, you can’t play your top defensive back. Late in last week’s loss to Buffalo, Johnson suffered an ankle injury when a Bills fullback rolled into the back of his leg.

At cornerback, the Rams will go with Gaines, who missed the first three games of this season with injuries, and Troy Hill, who has two career NFL starts. Lamarcus Joyner will play his usual nickelback role and newly signed cornerback Dwayne Gratz might contribute, although he’s still learning the defense.

That’s something of a scary proposition, given that the Rams have to face the NFL’s leading receiver, Marvin Jones, who had a 205-yard, two-touchdown game three weeks ago against Green Bay.

Gaines likely will draw the matchup against Jones, but Hill has some familiarity with the star receiver. They played together in Cincinnati last season when Hill spent most of the season with the Bengals.

“I got a feel for him,” Hill said. “When his number is called, he’s making plays. You’ve just got to stay focused. He’s explosive and he can make moves.”

Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, creative and aggressive, probably will have something new for the Lions. That’s been the trend this season.

The Rams, in the season opener, exclusively played their nickel package on defense. The next week, they went to more of a Tampa 2 zone style, and incorporated a little bit of both in their next two games.

Last week against Buffalo, the Rams played with only one safety deep, with Alexander typically manning the middle of the field while T.J. McDonald played very close to the line of scrimmage.

In that game, the Rams wanted to keep an eye on dual-threat quarterback Tyrod Taylor and running back LeSean McCoy, but it didn’t really work out. Now, with what should be a pass-happy Detroit offense – the Lions have three injured running backs – it’s fair to assume a more traditional defense will return.

Gaines should be fine, given his skill and experience. The question is whether Hill can handle the Lions’ other receivers, although the Rams might get a break because Anquan Boldin is listed as questionable with an ankle injury.

Hill, signed off waivers by the Rams late last season, started this season against Tampa Bay and Arizona, after Coty Sensabaugh struggled (and was later released). Hill was a mild upgrade, but easily lost his job opposite Johnson when Gaines returned to health.

Now, Hill gets another chance to prove he can thrive as a starter, and he said he has learned.

“I’ve just got to play the game, and not try to make the big plays,” Hill said. “Just stay calm and just stay focused, stay with my technique and fundamentals and let things come to me.”

[www.ocregister.com]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
No doubt. I expect to see Saffold go to that well early and often.
Hill has to be ready to be the key matchup in this game.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
And, if you’re the Rams, you can’t play your top defensive back. Late in last week’s loss to Buffalo, Johnson suffered an ankle injury when a Bills fullback rolled into the back of his leg.

The fact is the Fullback took aim and blocked the back of TJ's calf and ankle. After he had already blocked him out of the play.

Last edited:

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
What was it 2 or 3 weeks ago half this board was calling for Tru's head? Now everyone is panicking I think we wil be ok. Hill is improving every game and Gaines is back healthy.

jap

Legend
If The Mighty Quinn becomes Stafford's backfield mate all game long, we won;t need a secondary.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Should be a great contest.....

Hoping Hill gets Marvin Jones...and EJ gets Golden Taint....and Joyner...gets....Anquan Bolden...

RamWoodie

Legend
Yep...the secondary is definitely a concern...BUT THEY HAVE TO PLAY!!!

All we can ask is they give us THE BEST THEY GOT...and hope it's enough!!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With the Lions injuries to their top 3 RB's the pass will be in full operation for that team. With RDE Quinn inactive & LDE Hayes still gimpy I sure would keep DT Dom Easley in that defense as much as possible & let the 380 pound Thomas take a rest. It would also help if Gregg gets plays FS Cody Davis often on the field deep for this game.

Pressure on the QB will, as we know be crucial & finding a way to do that without Rob Quinn is difficult I will say this & usually I am not as positive as most Rams fans....but if Gregg Williams can find a way to get constant pressure & hits on Stafford early & often this game will be over early in the 3rd quarter. Fisher & my Rams can cruise to London & as a 4 -2 team!

Rams RE Robert Quinn (shoulder) is inactive for Week 6 against the Lions. Rams will get back DE William Hayes and DT Michael Brockers. Los Angeles also declared CB Trumaine Johnson, WR Pharoh Cooper, QB Sean Mannion, OT Pace Murphy, TE Temarrrick Hemingway, and WR Nelson Spruce inactive for Week 6.

Last edited:

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
What was it 2 or 3 weeks ago half this board was calling for Tru's head? Now everyone is panicking I think we wil be ok. Hill is improving every game and Gaines is back healthy.

I think you're thinking of Sensabaugh. I don't remember much complaining about Tru

TXRams86

The Infamous
And thus far this article holds true.
Our CB's can't make a play to save their life.