Rams Seahawks first rounds

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
The Rams and Seahawks finished with identical 7-9 records in 2010. They were fairly equal teams that year. So how did the Seahawks take just a huge move past the Rams since then? Well, it wasn't in the first round. When you compare first rounders, I don't see any advantage going to the Seahawks. They did their damage in the later rounds and FA.

Earl Thomas
James Carpenter
Bruce Irvin
Russell Okung
(Percy Harvin) trade

Bradford
Quinn
Brockers
Tavon
Ogletree

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The importance of the later rounds cannot be overstated. Stacy looks like a franchise RB that we found in the 5th.

V3

Hall of Fame
The importance of the later rounds cannot be overstated. Stacy looks like a franchise RB that we found in the 5th.
He needs to prove he can stay healthy before I will say that. Stacy seemed to get dinged up every game and he didn't even play the whole year. If he can, he will be very good.

I think the main thing is that the Shitbirds are finding Pro Bowlers. It doesn't matter where they found them. The point is that they found them. The Rams HAVE to fine Pro Bowlers. They haven't yet. I expect a few to start getting some recognition like Ogletree, Stacy( if he stays healthy), GZ. The Rams just need to find more of them and at more crucial positions like QB, CB, MLB, and S.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He needs to prove he can stay healthy before I will say that. Stacy seemed to get dinged up every game and he didn't even play the whole year. If he can, he will be very good.

I think the main thing is that the Shitbirds are finding Pro Bowlers. It doesn't matter where they found them. The point is that they found them. The Rams HAVE to fine Pro Bowlers. They haven't yet. I expect a few to start getting some recognition like Ogletree, Stacy( if he stays healthy), GZ. The Rams just need to find more of them and at more crucial positions like QB, CB, MLB, and S.

Thing is, they found everyone of them, after the great Earl Thomas, not in the first round.

Point being, the Rams have to find pro bowlers in other places than the first round.

The GSOT offense from 1999-2001 had only 2 starters that the Rams drafted in the first round, Pace and Holt.

Snead and Fisher have got to do better outside the first round.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Thing is, they found everyone of them, after the great Earl Thomas, not in the first round.

Point being, the Rams have to find pro bowlers in other places than the first round.

The GSOT offense from 1999-2001 had only 2 starters that the Rams drafted in the first round, Pace and Holt.

I believe that Grant Wistrom, Kevin Carter, Todd Lyght were first round picks-the team was more balanced than people realize.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I believe that Grant Wistrom, Kevin Carter, Todd Lyght were first round picks-the team was more balanced than people realize.
Yes. They were good players, but the teams greatness was centered around it's offense. And it was filled with good to great players that the Rams didn't use a first round pick on.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The Rams and Seahawks finished with identical 7-9 records in 2010. They were fairly equal teams that year. So how did the Seahawks take just a huge move past the Rams since then? Well, it wasn't in the first round. When you compare first rounders, I don't see any advantage going to the Seahawks. They did their damage in the later rounds and FA.

Earl Thomas
James Carpenter
Bruce Irvin
Russell Okung
(Percy Harvin) trade

Bradford
Quinn
Brockers
Tavon
Ogletree

I'd say the Rams are winning BIG if you're just comparing these 5 players.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I'd say the Rams are winning BIG if you're just comparing these 5 players.
Agree.

Those are all Schneider's picks. That's not where he truly excelled. It was in the later rounds where he nailed it.

Boylhart said years ago, anyone can pick a good player in the first round, though it's amazing how some teams bungle even that. But a good GM finds players all through the draft. The bad GMs mail it in after a round or two. They start throwing darts, and oftentimes worse than darts.

I remember Boylhart telling me Devaney mailed in the Rams drafts a few years ago. He was right.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

is it the drafting or the position coaches coaching these player up. in other words would these players be pro bowlers on some other team. it is possible that the same players if drafted by okland or jacksonvile would not be pro bowlers

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Ehh, the shitchickens late rounds haven't been night and day compared to other teams. They have hit on players and have a bunch of role players and missed on the bunch. Basically, the norm of the league. Just b/c they played in the Super Bowl doesn't mean they are all suddenly superstars, even tho the perception is just that.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

Earl Thomas
James Carpenter
Bruce Irvin
Russell Okung
(Percy Harvin) trade

Bradford
Quinn
Brockers
Tavon
Ogletree

I think that East of the Rockies we tend to put too high value on the SEC and Carroll pays closer attention to the Pac 12 and has gotten some low round value there from "local knowledge" I also think they had a jump start on us in that they had a scouting dept funded by an owner who would spend the money.
As I recall one of the most contentious subjects twix Martz and the Rams FO was the lack of the promised scouting funds.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler

The term "Pro Bowler" is not how I would judge a players skill level. Of course most people see Pro Bowl players as the best but a lot of the time it's a popularity contest with that. Fans choose the players which they have grown accustom to hearing about in most cases. For me, I think success for a drafted player comes when he contributes in ways that result in wins. Stacy was such an excellent pick to me because he put us in situations where we could win games on a consistent basis even though he wasn't recognized as Pro Bowl talent. He allowed us to compete in games that we would have never won without him carrying us.

fearsomefour

Legend
Yes. They were good players, but the teams greatness was centered around it's offense. And it was filled with good to great players that the Rams didn't use a first round pick on.
I think any team that is going to reach to top level of success is going to have its fair share of late round/street fa finds. D'Marco Farr, Billy Jenkins, London Fletcher and that guy Kurt Warner the Rams had their share of great scouting/luck. The O line turning things around was a key to that team as well (some things never change). Pace was the top pick of course, but Timmerman was a high priced FA. Nutten, who was in my opinon a real key to that line, was found playing up in Canada. Mike G. was an undrafted player if memory serves and Fred Miller was a mid round pick kind of guy. My point is, to develop a deep 53 man roster you have to find players every way you can. This staff certainly seems to be looking and has already a diamond that was basically a cast off in Joe Barksdale.

iced

In contrast, when Bradford went down he became the main focal point of the offense. As a starter, he had 249 carries in 12 games (and let's not forget he missed more than a half of football vs Chicago). That's 20.75 attempts per game, good for 4th in the NFL.

With Bradford, he had 14,17,18 attempts per game..an average of 16.3
With Clemens, the next 3 games - 26,27,26....for the season, average with clemens was 22.3

That's a lot of touches over a short span for a back - too many, imo, especially with his running style. He looked like he lost some burst over the season (put on his tape of the first few games vs the last few)...

V3

Hall of Fame
The term "Pro Bowler" is not how I would judge a players skill level. Of course most people see Pro Bowl players as the best but a lot of the time it's a popularity contest with that. Fans choose the players which they have grown accustom to hearing about in most cases. For me, I think success for a drafted player comes when he contributes in ways that result in wins. Stacy was such an excellent pick to me because he put us in situations where we could win games on a consistent basis even though he wasn't recognized as Pro Bowl talent. He allowed us to compete in games that we would have never won without him carrying us.

It can be a popularity contest but when a player is clearly one of the best, they get recognition. Just look at Quinn or Hekker. We NEED more of those types of players. The type that are so good that everyone knows about them, even fans of other teams. Yes, it's nice to get good all around players that help you win but that isn't going to be enough in this division. We need players like Sherman, Thomas, Bowman, Green, etc. Players that are clearly elite and everyone knows it. You have to have some elite players(or at the very least have them playing like it in the playoffs) at critical positions or you won't win a SB.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

They're juicing and taking adderall...

If we did that then our team would be much improved, too.

V3

Hall of Fame
They're juicing and taking adderall...

If we did that then our team would be much improved, too.

I think those players would still be Pro Bowlers without the PED's. It helps, obviously, but those players are good enough to not need the extra advantage. I'm actually more upset about how they get away with holding/PI against opposing WR's. Even that, though, doesn't take away the fact that they are still amongst the best in the NFL.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Winning always changes the perception of a player's ProBowl worthiness.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I think those players would still be Pro Bowlers without the PED's. It helps, obviously, but those players are good enough to not need the extra advantage. I'm actually more upset about how they get away with holding/PI against opposing WR's. Even that, though, doesn't take away the fact that they are still amongst the best in the NFL.
Doesn't it? Who knows if they could still be as effective without the benefit of selective visions disorders by the officials? My best guess would be that they would not, otherwise why break the rules if you can be just as effective within them?