Rams' sagging D in NFC West perspective

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mike Sando
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... erspective

[wrapimg=right]http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/4756/c6db0e405a8044cc8a48643.png[/wrapimg]Quarterbacks aren't quite everything in the NFL. Football remains a team sport.

Offensive shortcoming aside, the St. Louis Rams' defense deserves its share of the blame for a 27-13 defeat to the New York Jets in Week 11.

Bernie Miklasz of 101ESPN St. Louis drove home that point effectively beginning at about the 3:42 mark of this segment from Monday. He pointed beyond the Rams' failure to produce turnovers recently to broader failings.

"I don't think that how bad they've been recently, I don't think it's gotten enough attention," Miklasz said. "People obsess so much with the quarterback or the offensive line of Brian Schottenheimer's play calling. By the way, all those things are fair game. We're missing the fact that this defense has really, really, really taken a wrong turn over the last five games."

Bernie then highlights some rather shocking stats from the Rams' past five games, beginning with a 17-14 defeat at Miami.

I've put together a chart focusing on the last four games because the Rams have given up far more points per game over that period, which begins with a 30-20 defeat to Green Bay. The Rams rank 30th in points per game allowed over that span. To broaden interest, I've expanded the chart to include how all NFC West teams have fared defensively over the same period in question (since Week 7).

There wasn't enough room in the chart to spell out all the statistical categories clearly. The rows show points per game rank, yards per game (YPG), yards per play (YPP), rushing yards per game (RYG), yards per carry (YPC), passing yards per game (PYG), net yards per pass attempt (Net YPA), interception rate, sack rate, first downs per game (FDG), third-down rate, red zone touchdown percentage, Total QBR and points per game (PPG).

The Rams' inability to force turnovers is both a problem and a symptom of bigger problems. The team hasn't gotten breaks with fumble recoveries. But if the defense were playing better overall, opponents would be making additional mistakes, too.

Quarterbacks have a 122.9 NFL passer rating and 84.1 Total QBR score against the Rams since Week 7. For context, consider that Aaron Rodgers leads the NFL in passer rating at 107.3. Tom Brady leads in QBR at 81.6.

To be fair, the Rams have faced both those quarterbacks since Week 7. But they also had a hard time stopping Mark Sanchez, who was 30th in passer rating (70.4) and 32nd in QBR (28.7) entering Week 11. Sanchez had a 118.3 rating and 84.0 QBR against the Rams.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Op5j4.png

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anyway.

I don't think this gets talked about enough. The defense started out aggressive and opportunistic (ranking in the top 5 early on), but over the past four games, they've found themselves at the bottom of the league. How much more efficient could the offense be if the defense was able to dictate the tempo of the opposing offense? That is, after all, the way this team was designed to be.

Something stopped working. I think we need to figure out what that is.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Sad go see the Rams sliding right back to the back of the pack.......again. I agree the defense needs more attention. Dare I say we may have overpaid JL after seeing his performance thus far?? Quinn and Long have all but disappeared. Why on earth is Fletcher not out there more? Why would we want to "move on" from what may be our best CB?? Does employment with the Rams require a labotomy???

stan

Rookie
Faceplant said:
Sad go see the Rams sliding right back to the back of the pack.......again. I agree the defense needs more attention. Dare I say we may have overpaid JL after seeing his performance thus far?? Quinn and Long have all but disappeared. Why on earth is Fletcher not out there more? Why would we want to "move on" from what may be our best CB?? Does employment with the Rams require a labotomy???

Long is a motor guy. Quinn needs to develop more technique. Brockers wasn't mentioned by the announcers until the fourth quarter. Spomewhere somehow Fisher has to find the missing ingredient that makes this line play greater than the sum of its individual parts.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

it's sad that the rams d made sanchez look like a competent nfl qb. there can be no bigger damning indictment than that placed on a nfl d.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
It honestly feels like deja vu. They just can't seem to get into a rhythm on offense. For long stretches they seem to abandon the run game and then; surprise surprise! The defense comes out flat and tired. They've been able to actually put some points on the board this year which is great, but they just never seem to get a rhythm going.