Rams’ Saffold moves along the line for Sunday’s game(Starting at RG)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Lesson

Oh, really?
By Jim Thomas

Rodger Saffold’s unusual 2013 season has taken another twist.

Moved from left tackle to right tackle following the signing of Jake Long in free agency last March, Saffold will start at right guard Sunday for the Rams against Indianapolis.

“With some of the injuries and some of the unknowns, basically it’s just at the point like: ‘Where can you help us?’ ” Saffold said. “That why I got moved.”

The Rams’ usual starting right guard, Harvey Dahl, suffered a knee injury in the Rams’ Oct. 28 Monday night loss to Seattle. Shelley Smith started in Dahl’s place last week, against Tennessee, but coach Jeff Fisher has decided to go with Saffold against the Colts.

After missing four games because of a knee injury of his own, Saffold has been unable to regain his starting job at right tackle from Joe Barksdale.

Barksdale and Saffold have rotated in the three games since Saffold’s return, but Barksdale has gotten three-fourths of the reps the past two contests.

“Whatever I’m doing I’m going to do to the best of my ability,” Saffold said. “I’m doing this so I make sure that Harvey can breathe easier, recover himself so he can come back ready to go.”

It has been a while since Saffold played offensive guard — try seventh grade for the Heskett Hornets in the Cleveland area.

“Everything happens faster (inside),” Saffold said. “The big change is just flattening out your angle instead of setting vertical and setting deeper.”

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_e22cea95-2559-5077-9608-00b9048fcf55.html

bluecoconuts

Legend
Dear Football Gods,

Please allow Safffold to dominate as a guard and to love it so much he wants to be a LG for us in the future.

Accept my offer in advance for your gift.

nuts-girls-christmas-shoot-03-640.jpg

jjab360

Legend
Nice, rather they put Saffold there than Barksdale who is more likely to have a long term future at RT. Who knows, maybe if Saffold does well we resign him to a short term contract to try his hand at OG.

jjab360

Legend
Dear Football Gods,

Please allow Safffold to dominate as a guard and to love it so much he wants to be a LG for us in the future.

:wow::D:bigup::woot::wow::D:heh::cheese::woot:

V3

Hall of Fame
Dear Football Gods,

I wouldn't want to re-sign him even if he did play well at OG. He's too injury prone. You can't rely on him.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
This is an experiment for next season. I'm glad they are trying it. It could go a long way in solidifying the OL. :bigup:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow. This would be great if Saffold plays well.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Interesting, hope it works well good thing IS, we won't have to wait very long to find out

Slappy967

Starter
I thought Rodger was mauling guys and opening up holes pretty consistently today and I liked what I saw. Would love to see him stay with the Rams at OG so we can run Long/Barks at OT and then maybe draft some O line depth. Either way I was encouraged by the play I saw today from our offensive line.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I'll wait on the film reviewers to give their opine,I don't hardly ever re watch games anymore

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I thought this Boudreau move says a lot! Rodger Saffold is a true class act giving up his starting post to ORT Joe Barksdale...then sliding over to his left to play ORG for the first time since 7th grade. By the way he was OUTSTANDING! playing OG. The Right side of a 6-5 325 Barksdale & a 6-5 330 plus pound Saffold makes us very strong.

When former starting ORG Harvey Dahl returns from his knee injury in a few weeks I say insert Saffold over into the OL weak Link Chris Williams OLG spot & lets see what Jake Long & Saffold can do together!

Rodger Saffold great job ! Well Done!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah, I look forward to hearing from our "film guys".

Me: the running game was mostly bottled up today.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Dear Football Gods,

No offense, but I don't know what you wrote, and I'll never read it. That pic is way, way too distracting

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'll wait on the film reviewers to give their opine,I don't hardly ever re watch games anymore

While in the Chat Room during the game most of us in attendance saw & observed what Rodger Saffold was doing in the game ...pulling fast, & hitting what he needed to hit, pass blocking DT's to a standstill and plowing DL'ers over & over from the ORG post.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Wasn't Rogers pull and block huge on Cunninghams run?