Rams' Saffold improving at right tackle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Joe Lyons
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-saffold-improving-at-right-tackle/article_e7e2b991-a249-571f-a798-5bf33b5de49d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... de49d.html</a>

519ec508c1f61.preview-620.jpg

When the Rams signed four-time Pro Bowler Jake Long as a free agent to play left tackle, it meant that incumbent Rodger Saffold would be making the shift to the right side.

Although Saffold remained quiet, his representatives expressed their displeasure with the signing of the former Miami Dolphin and suggested that Saffold would not be opposed to a trade.

But Saffold is back and working as hard as ever.

“This game is a business; that’s just the way it is,’’ said Saffold, a Rams’ second-round draft choice in 2010. “I talked to my coach and basically they told me that they had a lot of faith in me to play right tackle and try to use my versatility as an advantage for the team. I went home, back to Cleveland, just to get away from football for a little bit.

“But I came back ready to work. I’m a hard worker; I’m a loyal guy to my team.’’

Adjusting to a position that he has not played since his freshman year in high school, Saffold is focused on making steady improvement.

“It’s just a matter of getting used to it, the muscle memory, the change in stance,’’ he said following Thursday’s Organized Team Activities in Earth City. “Honestly, it hasn’t been as hard as I thought it was going to be. As far as the smaller details, that’s what I’m constantly working on. It’s just the second day out here, so I just want to continue to work and to learn.

“I think I got better today than I was yesterday and I intend on getting better again tomorrow.’’

Rams coach Jeff Fisher is confident that Saffold can handle the switch and thrive on the right side.

“Football’s football. Responsibilities are the same,’’ the coach said. “He’s just at the point of attack when the ball goes to the right now. He’s done a great job since we switched him over.’’

Tornado relief effort

Rams quarterback Sam Bradford has teamed with the city of St. Louis and a marketing and event production company, Switch + Contemporary, to help provide aid to his hometown following Monday’s devastating tornadoes in Oklahoma City.

Donation sites will be set up today from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. at Loughborough Commons, at Interstate 55 and Loughborough, and at Kirkwood Commons, Interstate 44 and Lindbergh. Items that are needed include non-perishable food, size “C” and “D” batteries, candles, cleaning supplies, baby items, pet supplies, blankets, building and packing materials and bottled water.

“Thankfully it didn’t hit in our part of town,’’ said Bradford, who was in Oklahoma City on Monday. “But it’s still hard to see something like that happen in your hometown.

“We’re trying to fill these three trucks – these people need anything and everything – to take down to Oklahoma City on Saturday. If you can donate anything, there are thousands of families back home right now who have literally nothing.’’

Bradford, who starred at the University of Oklahoma, and a buddy were on his patio in north Oklahoma City when they heard the warning sirens.

“We turned on the news,’’ he recalled. “The tornadoes were well south of us and the meteorologists were saying that this was going bad in a hurry. They knew what was coming. To see the actual tornado live on TV and know what it’s doing on the ground. I think that’s the hardest part because you know that every second, every minute, there are people who are losing their homes and losing all their belongings.’’

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The photo shows OL coach Paul Boudreau, 2013 4th rd selection interior OL'er Barrett Jones, Reserve OLT Joe Barksdale, ORT Saffold, OLT Jake Long, HC Fisher, RB Pead and rookie FB Stevens.

Paul Boudreau 2013 OL cadre is a strange mix. Paul will get his first chance in Training Camp & Pre-season to direct instruct & provide guidance the majority, 12 to be exact of this cadre....His first timers are OG Chris Williams, OLT Joe Barksdale, OLT Ty Nsekhe, OLT Jake Long, OLG Shelley Smith, OLG Brandon Washington, OC Barrett Jones, ORT Brandon Brown, ORT Sean Hooey, ORT Terrell Brown, OLG Kenny Saia & also for the most part OC Scott Wells too....the only three OL'ers back from the 2012 TC & PS are OLG Watkins, ORG Dahl & ORT Saffold. This may be why we did not see Snead & Fisher go as strong in the draft on OL'ers???? I really think Paul wants to fully explore the young talent that has been acquired since the regular season started last year.

ORT Saffold sure looks to be in serious good shape looking full of muscle & bigger than last year to me. The extra muscle can be put to much better use on that right side. Saffold when on the field has been excellent @ run blocks from the OLT post. He will get a chance to sharpen up on right side pancakes. Saffold looks much shorter than OLT Jake. Saffold is more prototype right OT than OLT being under 6-5 in height.

I took note to what Saffold said that Fisher said in mentioning Saffold's VERSATILITY. "try to use my versatility as an advantage for the team" This is smart! Saffold could be a legit starting ORT & OLT and may be a better starting OLG if need be. That diminishes the concerns over the only major chink in Jake Long 's armor injuries. It must be Boudreau major plan thought that Saffold is what a all star right OT is! Who am I to think Boudreau is silly on this major change in his starting OL. This all took place way before the draft and how the 2013 draft worked against the Rams on selecting a future ORT.

In 2012 the Rams paid a serious chunk of cap $$ 2.5 million for a swing OT/back up OLT in Wayne Hunter. Now the org. has secured the OLT for four yrs and will attempt to persuade Saffold to remain a Ram for many yrs after this season in the same capacity as he is in now..starting ORT/ first Swing OT. Saffold's worth could (if he can remain healthy) be close that of Jake Long. Do you think Boudreau plan is a good one? Saffold works cheap when compared to Jake, Saffold maximum earning could be $880,000 in 2013. Bigger paydays are in-store for Saffold if Boudreau plan works out! At least Saffold gets a major upgrade in who he plays next to in 2013.....Harvey Dahl & Saffold could be a nasty attitude right side :twisted:

Behind Boudreau's starting duo OT's he has ex Raider 3rd rd pick Joe Barksdale he is who will get his first real chance to feast at Boudreau's knowledge table during training camp & pre-season. Barksdale was a very successful starting OLT for LSU but has failed @ all his right side attempts. Joe's only real action in 2012 came when he started @ OLT to face the Patriots & Packers were big Ram losses. Joe comes cheap for only $555,000 this yr. I am of the opinion that Barksdale will continue to work on the left side behind Jake along with 6-8 325 28 yrs old journeyman Ty Nsekhe.

The right side behind Saffold has three UDFA's 6-5 310 Brandon Brown, Sean Hooey who is 6-9 who played with Pead @ Cinn and Terrell Brown who is 6-10 400 pounds. ORT Brandon Brown was the top UDFA desired by the Rams & got $15,000 to sign here. Other Rams OL'ers who could see some limited action @ ORT might be the 6-4 330 pound Rod Watkins & 6-6-320 Chris Williams. Rod Watkins played his senior season with SC at OT and he played ORT early when his weight was down & played it very well. He does have OT size, never know how things will work out @ OLG. I look for Chris Williams to be used primarily at OLG & ORG.

Nice to see Barrett Jones standing right in there next to Boudreau & Saffold. Barrett is a little bit taller than Saffold but it's going to take a few yrs in the Ram weight room to get thick like Saffold. I know there is talk of Barrett getting a bonified chance @ OLG.....I think that with Barrett & his super smarts & numerous accommodations from his many yrs of OL play @ Bama, Barrett has the looks to be a future NFL all pro center stamped all over him. Barrett should be the primary back up center only. I would get him all the center time as possible due to the health concerns I have over the starting center 32 yr old Scott Wells.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
BonifayRam said:
The photo shows OL coach Paul Boudreau, 2013 4th rd selection interior OL'er Barrett Jones, Reserve OLT Joe Barksdale, ORT Saffold, OLT Jake Long, HC Fisher, RB Pead and rookie FB Stevens.

Paul Boudreau 2013 OL cadre is a strange mix. Paul will get his first chance in Training Camp & Pre-season to direct instruct & provide guidance the majority, 12 to be exact of this cadre....His first timers are OG Chris Williams, OLT Joe Barksdale, OLT Ty Nsekhe, OLT Jake Long, OLG Shelley Smith, OLG Brandon Washington, OC Barrett Jones, ORT Brandon Brown, ORT Sean Hooey, ORT Terrell Brown, OLG Kenny Saia & also for the most part OC Scott Wells too....the only three OL'ers back from the 2012 TC & PS are OLG Watkins, ORG Dahl & ORT Saffold. This may be why we did not see Snead & Fisher go as strong in the draft on OL'ers???? I really think Paul wants to fully explore the young talent that has been acquired since the regular season started last year.

ORT Saffold sure looks to be in serious good shape looking full of muscle & bigger than last year to me. The extra muscle can be put to much better use on that right side. Saffold when on the field has been excellent @ run blocks from the OLT post. He will get a chance to sharpen up on right side pancakes. Saffold looks much shorter than OLT Jake. Saffold is more prototype right OT than OLT being under 6-5 in height.

I took note to what Saffold said that Fisher said in mentioning Saffold's VERSATILITY. "try to use my versatility as an advantage for the team" This is smart! Saffold could be a legit starting ORT & OLT and may be a better starting OLG if need be. That diminishes the concerns over the only major chink in Jake Long 's armor injuries. It must be Boudreau major plan thought that Saffold is what a all star right OT is! Who am I to think Boudreau is silly on this major change in his starting OL. This all took place way before the draft and how the 2013 draft worked against the Rams on selecting a future ORT.

In 2012 the Rams paid a serious chunk of cap $$ 2.5 million for a swing OT/back up OLT in Wayne Hunter. Now the org. has secured the OLT for four yrs and will attempt to persuade Saffold to remain a Ram for many yrs after this season in the same capacity as he is in now..starting ORT/ first Swing OT. Saffold's worth could (if he can remain healthy) be close that of Jake Long. Do you think Boudreau plan is a good one? Saffold works cheap when compared to Jake, Saffold maximum earning could be $880,000 in 2013. Bigger paydays are in-store for Saffold if Boudreau plan works out! At least Saffold gets a major upgrade in who he plays next to in 2013.....Harvey Dahl & Saffold could be a nasty attitude right side :twisted:

Behind Boudreau's starting duo OT's he has ex Raider 3rd rd pick Joe Barksdale he is who will get his first real chance to feast at Boudreau's knowledge table during training camp & pre-season. Barksdale was a very successful starting OLT for LSU but has failed @ all his right side attempts. Joe's only real action in 2012 came when he started @ OLT to face the Patriots & Packers were big Ram losses. Joe comes cheap for only $555,000 this yr. I am of the opinion that Barksdale will continue to work on the left side behind Jake along with 6-8 325 28 yrs old journeyman Ty Nsekhe.

The right side behind Saffold has three UDFA's 6-5 310 Brandon Brown, Sean Hooey who is 6-9 who played with Pead @ Cinn and Terrell Brown who is 6-10 400 pounds. ORT Brandon Brown was the top UDFA desired by the Rams & got $15,000 to sign here. Other Rams OL'ers who could see some limited action @ ORT might be the 6-4 330 pound Rod Watkins & 6-6-320 Chris Williams. Rod Watkins played his senior season with SC at OT and he played ORT early when his weight was down & played it very well. He does have OT size, never know how things will work out @ OLG. I look for Chris Williams to be used primarily at OLG & ORG.

Nice to see Barrett Jones standing right in there next to Boudreau & Saffold. Barrett is a little bit taller than Saffold but it's going to take a few yrs in the Ram weight room to get thick like Saffold. I know there is talk of Barrett getting a bonified chance @ OLG.....I think that with Barrett & his super smarts & numerous accommodations from his many yrs of OL play @ Bama, Barrett has the looks to be a future NFL all pro center stamped all over him. Barrett should be the primary back up center only. I would get him all the center time as possible due to the health concerns I have over the starting center 32 yr old Scott Wells.
Yeah, Boudreau's got a stable of raw talent alright. I feel slightly less concerned about the potential of injuries considering he was able to make due with what he had LAST year. Of course, we're not going to have any injuries this year, so that's all moot.

Rodger's got a little head for such a big guy, doesn't he? Looks like that dude in Beetlejuice. But yeah, he's gotten pretty thick over the offseason (or at least it seems that way). He looks more ideally suited to run block now - which is great for us, obviously. If (when) these guys all stay healthy this year, the offense is really gonna start to click. As soon as the WRs begin to "get it."

Looking forward to a MUCH improved offense this year. Time for the D to complement the O.
Not have the defense overshadow the O.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think Saffold was a very underrated run blocker anyhow. He has improved every year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
X said:
Yeah, Boudreau's got a stable of raw talent alright. I feel slightly less concerned about the potential of injuries considering he was able to make due with what he had LAST year. Of course, we're not going to have any injuries this year, so that's all moot.

Rodger's got a little head for such a big guy, doesn't he? Looks like that dude in Beetlejuice. But yeah, he's gotten pretty thick over the offseason (or at least it seems that way). He looks more ideally suited to run block now - which is great for us, obviously. If (when) these guys all stay healthy this year, the offense is really gonna start to click. As soon as the WRs begin to "get it."

Looking forward to a MUCH improved offense this year. Time for the D to complement the O.
Not have the defense overshadow the O.

Yeah your right about the size of the noggin on Rodger Saffold & bettlejuice film & the scene in the waiting room. That movie is a classic...funny as can be.. Saffold has been working hard on his body since coming out of college when the big knock on him was his lack of power & skills @ run blocking) ....all the draft profiles analysis on Saffold repeated over & over his pudgy soft (lacking power to handle NFL DL'ers & non prototype OLT body. RS has attended special training facilities since the end of his college days building up his body. If we recall he was working out in the Ram weight rm. with very heavy poundage when he ripped & torn his pecs muscle in 2011 after suffering a concision a few days earlier in the game.

When RS was mic'd up last yr we got a real bonified glimpse into his mind & attitude when he made two big time outside run blocks on the same running play that sprung the RB for a big run. Lets just say he really likes to play football & no longer has issues with a lack of power & skill @ run blocking. RS has attended special training facilities since the end of his college days building up his body. If we recall he was working out in the Ram weight rm. with very heavy poundage when he ripped & torn his pecs muscle in 2011 after suffering a concision a few days earlier in the game. It ovious to all that I am a big Rodger Saffold fan & desire that the Ram org. makes him there #1 priority this season for a contract extension once he proves to remain healthy.

Yep the Paul Boudreau is full of raw (questionable) talent in some case too. I did not touch on the OG's in my extra long book post but I agree with you about your lack of concern on the injuries @ OG positions. Boudreau has six different OG's start in 2012. Sam & the other offensive players survived overall or as you put it "make due". I believe that Paul found out a few things last season ... wavier wire Shelley Smith is a keeper & this rookie played every bit as well as Turner @ OG. It was Smith's play @ both OG posts that made the vet Robert Turner expendable and sent packing.

In addition Paul saw a different player in first round big bust ex Bear Offensive Tackle Chris Williams @ the very end of the season when he filled in for Harvey Dahl. Chris made many serious run blocks from the ORG post on par with Harvey Dahl's performance. The Rams went out early & signed Chris to return. I would not rule out very strong competition from Chris @ OLG post. Throw in Watkins & there is no concerns here. Chris could be a better upgrade version of Adam Goldberg... Chris has NFL game experience @ four starting OL posts...good to have suited up for game day emergencies.

If injuries return to this OL it would appear we could survive well @ three starting post OLT-OLG & ORG. OC could be a big issue but Tim Barnes & a healthy Barrett Jones make it survivable. The real concern is @ Right Offensive Tackle post behind Saffold?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Great news that all that pouting/trade me stuff from the media concerning Saffold after the J.Long signing turned out to be mostly overblown. The potential to upgrade both tackle spots simultaneously would be outstanding.

My number one X Factor going into this season on offense is the development of Brian Quick.
X Factor 1A would be Saffolds acclimation to RT.

Could make for an interesting thread to voice our views on X factors.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
mojorizen7 said:
Great news that all that pouting/trade me stuff from the media concerning Saffold after the J.Long signing turned out to be mostly overblown. The potential to upgrade both tackle spots simultaneously would be outstanding.

My number one X Factor going into this season on offense is the development of Brian Quick.
X Factor 1A would be Saffolds acclimation to RT.

Could make for an interesting thread to voice our views on X factors.

Good point mojorizen7.

If Saffold is healthy, he's the real deal. As DR said, perhaps underrated.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is it just me, or is that a beefed up red haired Opie, wearing number 67? :p

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A poster said it earlier..Look at that tiny head! and it's true that Saffold got Beeteljuiced :lol: