Rams' Saffold expected to hit open market: PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams' Saffold expected to hit open market
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_7d2d4127-2673-5782-a1ea-8ed2db49116d.html

Although the dialogue continues between the Rams and the agents representing offensive lineman Rodger Saffold, it’s becoming evident that Saffold will not be re-signed by the start of free agency on Tuesday. In fact, one of those agents — Alan Herman — flatly stated that will be the case.

“Rodger definitely will be out in the free-agent market,” Herman told the Post-Dispatch.

Of course, a lot can happen between now and Tuesday. And the Rams could provide millions of reasons for Saffold and his representatives to change their minds before then.

“We had a good conversation with Rodger’s representatives at the (scouting) combine,” Rams executive vice president Kevin Demoff said. “They said all the right things. As Jeff (Fisher) and Les (Snead) said in their interviews, re-signing Rodger is a priority. There’s good dialogue going on.”

Fisher is the Rams’ coach and Snead their general manager.

The parties had talks again this week, and they will talk over the weekend.

“I’m always a believer that at this point it’s more likely than not that a player gets to free agency once they’ve come this far,” Demoff said. “They want to peek behind the curtain.

“My hope is that’s not case. But Rodger has good representatives. They do a good job. We have a good relationship with them. If there’s a deal that comes together, I know we’ll figure it out.

“If there’s not, then he’ll go to free agency and by no means is that the end of this conversation. Hopefully, once it’s there we’ll have an opportunity to figure it out and keep him as a Ram.”

As an example, Demoff cited the case of cornerback Ron Bartell, who briefly reached the free-agent market in 2009. He was strongly pursued by New Orleans but opted to re-sign with the Rams.

“I have high hopes (on Saffold returning), but he’s a talented player, and when you get to this point talented players are in demand,” Demoff said.

“We are having good conversations and hopefully those conversations will wind up with Rodger returning in a Rams uniform. But there’s still plenty of time to see how that story plays out.”

Complicating matters with Saffold is the fact that he’s drawing interest both at tackle and guard. Good tackles generally make more money than good guards.

It’s clear the Rams are more interested in Saffold at guard, although if he re-signs he could open the season at left tackle if Jake Long isn’t ready following knee surgery last January. Some in the industry believe Saffold’s next contract — wherever it is — will come in excess of $6 million per year.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Well, I guess that means we're not drafting Sammy Watkins considering that essentially both guard jobs will need to be filled

Alan

Legend
brokeu91 prematurely throwing in the towel:
Well, I guess that means we're not drafting Sammy Watkins considering that essentially both guard jobs will need to be filled
We have only just begun to bid for his services. Don't give up the ship. It is always darkest just before the Day dawneth. Plus a couple more that it's way too early to remember.

But it's not looking as good as it did yesterday. :censored:

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
The Rams knew they are going to have to deal with him like a LT before the negotiations started! That's were he's played for most of his time on the team. Hope it's fair on both sides! Ask Jimmy Graham about it!

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I know most won't agree with me, but if Saffold can get another team to pay him like a tackle then he needs to take it and move on. Overpaying a player that had trouble staying on the field is a bad idea.

I like Rodger very much as a player. He's been a good Ram, but he's by no means irreplaceable.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I know most won't agree with me, but if Saffold can get another team to pay him like a tackle then he needs to take it and move on. Overpaying a player that had trouble staying on the field is a bad idea.

I like Rodger very much as a player. He's been a good Ram, but he's by no means irreplaceable.
I agree. But, everyone who watched the team last year saw just how great Saffold could be as a guard. I'm talking all-pro like ability. He is a hard worker and does whatever is asked of him. It'll be a shame to lose him, just when we figured out the best way to use him.

I swear if he signs with Seattle or San Francisco I might get arrested.

Alan

Legend
MerlinJones take:

I agree with your premise in a normal year but this isn't a normal year. How many O-liners do you think we can successfully replace in a single year?

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler

I also agree with you. The durability issue can't be ignored -- I'd prefer the Rams spend their coin on players who will be more reliable when it comes to being on the field.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I agree. But, everyone who watched the team last year saw just how great Saffold could be as a guard. I'm talking all-pro like ability. He is a hard worker and does whatever is asked of him. It'll be a shame to lose him, just when we figured out the best way to use him.

I swear if he signs with Seattle or San Francisco I might get arrested.

If he signed with Seattle or San Francisco at least we'd know for sure that he was pissed about Jake Long.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I agree. But, everyone who watched the team last year saw just how great Saffold could be as a guard. I'm talking all-pro like ability. He is a hard worker and does whatever is asked of him. It'll be a shame to lose him, just when we figured out the best way to use him. I swear if he signs with Seattle or San Francisco I might get arrested.

Yes it was nice to see what the Rams running game would look like if the Rams teams had invested in some talented OG's who could run block. I see no reason to pay OLT money $$$$ for a ORG who can not remain on the field of play. Saffold is a injury waiting to happen the happen again and then again. I have some serious concerns on this OG situation in the OL....

In 2012 Fisher tried SIX different OG's in the lineup. In 2013 Fisher tried FIVE OG's in the line up...you think someone would get a clue? Rams have only one Fisher drafted OL on the roster & he is a center who came on the third day of the 2013 Draft.

The right move IMO is for the Rams to finally draft a few talented OG's for a change that can run block. Its not hard to see that one of the reasons Saffold looked so good is the Rams do not have any decent NFL caliber run blocking OG's!

I have only ONE issue with Saffold he is always injured! I mean always! You do not toss millions of cap dollars on a player who is always broke. Foolish!

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I agree with your premise in a normal year but this isn't a normal year. How many O-liners do you think we can successfully replace in a single year?

I'm not excited about replacing a bunch of linemen in the same season either, but it looks like it may happen nonetheless.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Yes it was nice to see what the Rams running game would look like if the Rams teams had invested in some talented OG's who could run block. I see no reason to pay OLT money $$$$ for a ORG who can not remain on the field of play. Saffold is a injury waiting to happen the happen again and then again. I have some serious concerns on this OG situation in the OL....

In 2012 Fisher tried SIX different OG's in the lineup. In 2013 Fisher tried FIVE OG's in the line up...you think someone would get a clue? Rams have only one Fisher drafted OL on the roster & he is a center who came on the third day of the 2013 Draft.

The right move IMO is for the Rams to finally draft a few talented OG's for a change that can run block. Its not hard to see that one of the reasons Saffold looked so good is the Rams do not have any decent NFL caliber run blocking OG's!

I have only ONE issue with Saffold he is always injured! I mean always! You do not toss millions of cap dollars on a player who is always broke. Foolish!

Agreed. The solution seems so simple, yet so out of reach.

Alan

Legend
I see nothing more pressing but I see other pressing needs at FS and CB, Plus, to a lesser extent, OLB. If we have to draft three O-liners and I feel we do, then one of the other holes won't get filled. I don't consider 4th round picks to have much chance of being anything more than placeholders.

Of course just because we might not sign Saffold doesn't mean we can't use those resources we didn't use to fill one of those other holes. So all is not lost. Yet.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Looks to me the Org planned hard for the Rams to be in the good OL position. Pats on the back?

Front office is not too concerned they did draft one OL on the last day of the 2013 draft...that says alot. Its not an issue here time to move on. The Rams spent big $$ on two ex pro bowl OL players in free agency Wells in 2012 & Long in 2013 what more do you want? Rams also continue to spend good on Harvey Dahl.

Front office just offered one of the four FA's a 2014 contact ... center Tim Barnes. The Rams have OT Sean Hooey, OG Mike Persons, OG Brandon Washington, OT Joe Barksdale & OC Barrett Jones along with Scott Wells, Harvey Dahl & Jake Long on the roster that's 9 there...Only need five Ol'ers right ? Where is there an issue? I bet the Org. brings back Chris Williams that's 10 Ol'ers Looks real fat to me. Time to release a few!

In 2013 the Rams OL only had four Ol'ers injured from preseason to wk17....Long, Wells, Dahl & Saffold was injured 3 times. Total of six injuries. That's a vast improvement over 2012. Guess the only bad thing was all four were starters...but that happens to all teams right??

Last edited:
I see nothing more pressing but I see other pressing needs at FS and CB, Plus, to a lesser extent, OLB. If we have to draft three O-liners and I feel we do, then one of the other holes won't get filled. I don't consider 4th round picks to have much chance of being anything more than placeholders.

Of course just because we might not sign Saffold doesn't mean we can't use those resources we didn't use to fill one of those other holes. So all is not lost. Yet.

I only see 2, Long will be back and Fisher has faith it will be game 1, Barnes is fine at C and Jones has potential, Barksdale is nailed in for RT, so both OG spots need filling if we trade down to #6 with the Falcons I'd draft Robinson even if he never takes over Long's spot, which leaves the RG spot for either Saffold if he re-signs, or possibly Jones, or a FA, or Su'a-Filo/Yankey, that would leave at least two more picks in the first two rounds for FS/WR/CB. And I really hope we bring back Dunbar.

We also need depth.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam digging in to the crux of the matter:
Looks to me the Org planned hard for the Rams to be in the good OL position. Pats on the back?

Front office is not too concerned they did draft one OL on the last day of the 2013 draft...that says alot. Its not an issue here time to move on. The Rams spent big $$ on two ex pro bowl OL players in free agency Wells in 2012 & Long in 2013 what more do you want? Rams also continue to spend good on Harvey Dahl.

Front office just offered one of the four FA's a 2014 contact ... center Tim Barnes. The Rams have OT Sean Hooey, OG Mike Persons, OG Brandon Washington, OT Joe Barksdale & OC Barrett Jones along with Scott Wells, Harvey Dahl & Jake Long on the roster that's 9 there...Only need five Ol'ers right ? Where is there an issue? I bet the Org. brings back Chris Williams that's 10 Ol'ers Looks real fat to me. Time to release a few!
LOL! That's a lot of blue ink. :LOL:

Judging by what either Thomas or Gordon (in one of the threads we lost) said about what the Rams braintrust considers our biggest areas of need (O-line and S/CB), I have hopes that they're finally waking up.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
LOL! That's a lot of blue ink. :LOL:

Judging by what either Thomas or Gordon (in one of the threads we lost) said about what the Rams braintrust considers our biggest areas of need (O-line and S/CB), I have hopes that they're finally waking up.
Yes its NOT going to be a good day I got to go put down one of my dogs today I hate to do it but I have no choice ... so I will be nasty for a while...maybe more BLUE is still coming!

Yes OL and DB's if our entire draft is nothing but Offensive linemen & DB's I will be fine.