Rams running play design and execution

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Bruce2980

Starter
Absolute perfection.

This is pure, unadulterated genius, captured on video for a testimony to the ages. Great job O-Line coach, Head Coach and OC, contract extensions and pay raises for all.

Brilliant!

What I don't get is how announcers and pundits ask why is Gurley going nowhere this year. Have They not looked at a single run play? Do they close their eyes when the Rams offense is on the field?

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
That last one, Gurley should have followed his lead blocker for a large gain. 5 guys on that left side. That's on TGII.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
#4 is on gurley sorry he should have taken it outside. yes our run blocking is bad but Gurley is not helping. im wondering after watching film is that defenses are noticing that gurley never cuts back against the grain. he doesn't seem to be patient enough on some plays. design of some of these plays is just bad #1 is an example of that the oline blocked great on that play.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I can't wait till a couple of people see these clips.

My take....a very shocking lack of balance, power, and cohesion...the power & drive in the players legs and arms...sheesh. Perhaps this why you should draft guards to play guard...and tackles to play tackle..
And, I seriously doubt that Higbee will ever be an effective blocker. He's getting tossed around in every clip.

Granted, I think the Jets have one of the best D-Lines in the league...They're big, physical, and fast.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
The last one is where Gurley missed an easy TD. He needs to make those reads. He and the oline did play better in the second half.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Total mess! Gurley hitting the line before the pulling guard gets across, not taking cutback lanes, not waiting for blocks, blocks not developing.
Sad.:confused:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its easy to see things when you have a birds eye view. When you have that helmet on and bodies coming at you fast you have split second decisions and in those split seconds he always have a guy running right towards him. Cutback lanes are only open when you have the chance to see them.that helmet blocks all side view he wouod have to turn his entire body in order to see it. So when you have a entire dline coming at you, you put your shoulder down and dont lose yards. Because i bet we wouod be having a diferent dicussion if he was losing 4 5 yards every running play trying to find thise cutback lanes.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
And Boras WAS the running game coordinator? Didn't we change RB coaches?

Psycho_X

Legend
The whole thing is a disaster on all levels from coaching down to all 11 players on the field.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
The timing is off on all of it! It is like they never practiced running the ball at all.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
The timing is off on all of it! It is like they never practiced running the ball at all.
The whole thing is a disaster on all levels from coaching down to all 11 players on the field.

^^ This!!!

This all stems from terrible Offensive coaching. We need to get these videos in the hands of Joe Rogan or one of LA sports guys that talks rams all of the time. Shit needs to blown up.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Its easy to see things when you have a birds eye view. When you have that helmet on and bodies coming at you fast you have split second decisions and in those split seconds he always have a guy running right towards him. Cutback lanes are only open when you have the chance to see them.that helmet blocks all side view he wouod have to turn his entire body in order to see it. So when you have a entire dline coming at you, you put your shoulder down and dont lose yards. Because i bet we wouod be having a diferent dicussion if he was losing 4 5 yards every running play trying to find thise cutback lanes.

ummm ya and that is what elite backs see. that's what defines great and average

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I can't wait till a couple of people see these clips.

My take....a very shocking lack of balance, power, and cohesion...the power & drive in the players legs and arms...sheesh. Perhaps this why you should draft guards to play guard...and tackles to play tackle..
And, I seriously doubt that Higbee will ever be an effective blocker. He's getting tossed around in every clip.

Granted, I think the Jets have one of the best D-Lines in the league...They're big, physical, and fast.

I hope it is just coaching and not needing a whole new line

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
theres a lot wrong here, and where you want to admit it or not some of the blame is on gurley. Idk if the poor blocking early in the year got to his head and now he just wants to get what he can or what, but there clearly times where he doesnt really look for a cutback and just lowers his head trying to get some yards. hopefully itll get better these last few games, all around

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Hm I guess I'll be the oddball positive take because what I see there (assuming I'm looking at the correct twits) is actually a big improvement over earlier in the season. It also shows the Rams have mixed in more "traditional" run plays with the zone blocking. For example, the top run is actually very close; a nice pulling block but Saffold doesn't go 2nd level on the LB, it seems like he's confused and running a zone assignment instead.

I think the Rams caught the Jets a bit off guard with the traditional looks, this is only the 3rd time the Jets have given up over 100 yards rushing on the season. Arizona ran for 170 on the Jets D mixing in some pulling guards so I'm not surprised the Rams did it, too. AZ also had success with end-arounds, surprised we didn't see more (any?) Tavon end-arounds. The Rams did have one great moment catching the Jets with 7 in the box against a TE overload on the run Benny took to the 1-yard line (great combo by Kendricks & Hav). The mismatch probably a testament to how much teams are geeked up and keying on Gurley; meanwhile the Jets LBs were horrid on Benny's run as if they were taking the play off.

Anyway, my optimism is because:
1. I like the Rams mixing in more and more traditional looks, because think the talent is better suited to traditional assignments. Pulls look good except when the penetration blows it up.

2. What the poster refers to as "double teams" are actually combo blocks in the zone runs, which the o-line wasn't even trying to do at the beginning of the year. That means they are getting better communication, which is a positive -- but they are still just terrible at the technique.

The entire reason the Rams went with the zone (I believe) is the offseason sucks now with zero time to teach schemes, so teams are going with the most basic framework (zone) then build from there. The way zone is perfected is reps learning the right combos, learning the communication, learning the guy next to you -- and that seems to be getting a little better. Now the Rams are adding more with traditional play calls (pulling guards, pulling tackles on toss sweeps), and there will be missed assignments like the top play shows -- but it's already showing better returns. 100+ against a good D front isn't horrid. With more reps more brain farts can be eliminated, hopefully.

Obviously what remains a concern is the individual breakdowns. Grob is still just flailing, whiffing and literally tripping over his own feet, sigh. Even those giving good effort are still showing awful technique, see Hav on play#4, the DE is giving him where he wants to take him and leverage on a silver platter, yet poor footwork, body & hand positioning -- and just plain lack of punch -- lets his man make the play. That won't be solved any time soon, but hopefully as they become more confident in more traditional assignments and scheme, it could generate more 1v1 nastiness and end the unacceptable penetration.

Curt760

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Curt760
Wasn't it Marshall Faulk who said, "Speed through the hole and not speed to the hole." Perhaps he need to speak to Gurley. Also last year when Gurley was unstoppable, he always ran inside in first half then in second half he took some outside. That works IF the runs inside is successful. And I hate when they pull the guards on the goal line.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
#4 is on gurley sorry he should have taken it outside. yes our run blocking is bad but Gurley is not helping. im wondering after watching film is that defenses are noticing that gurley never cuts back against the grain. he doesn't seem to be patient enough on some plays. design of some of these plays is just bad #1 is an example of that the oline blocked great on that play.

How is Gurley supposed to take that outside? He got hit as soon as he made the jump cut to cutback in that direction.

The last one is where Gurley missed an easy TD. He needs to make those reads. He and the oline did play better in the second half.

He was making the read. The DL was on the OL's right shoulder. Darron Lee was bailing outside and vacated his gap. Everybody else had their blocks made. Gurley recognized that the DL beat Wichmann and was going to blow the play up if he went to the right. He tried to cutback to the left to allow Wichmann to get back on his block and attack the vacated gap.

I think some of y'all are a bit unrealistic in the cuts you expect a HB to make. That DL beat Wichmann. If Gurley keeps going right, that DL is going to force him to run E-W or tackle him behind the LOS. There were a bunch of unblocked Jets on the right side. If he runs E-W, it's getting stopped for a loss.