Rams running backs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stel

Starter
Gurley and Mason are locks. Will we keep 4 or 5? I think only 4 because I think we keep 3 QBs. Remaining we have:

Cunningham
Pead
Watts
Brown
Reynolds

Reynolds is a special teams stalwart. You have to figure he has a spot unless the feel someone else (RB or other position) can do what he does on special teams. That leaves 4 fighting for one remaining spot.

None of the other four seem to have distanced himself from the others. Each has strengths and weaknesses. Watts gets a 4 week reprieve while suspended. Could help his chances, could hurt them. You have to figure they aren't looking for someone to have a lot of touches on running plays, so probably the player who can block, catch passes, and play the best on special teams. Who is it?

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
I'd like to see them keep Cunningham, Watts, Reynolds and Brown.

Cunningham's obvious, could be a week 1 starter depending on Mason's health. As you say, Watts gets the 4 week suspension. I think the coaches really value what Reynolds brings to the special teams. And I'd like to keep Brown because I think he may have the right physicality for short yardage work while Gurley gets ready.

Hopefully, by the time Watts suspension ends, Gurley is ready at which point you can cut Brown.

That'd be my plan.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Cunningham looks slower running the football, however, valuable blocking and catching the football. Brown is a talent great vision and I understand the value of Reynolds on special teams, but that have a four game trial with Watts suspension so I have a feeling after those games Pead could be on the outside looking end with his contract being at the end and the upside of Watts & Brown IMHO.

fearsomefour

Legend
Gurley, Mason, Pead, Reynolds.....hhmmmm. Based on running play making ability Watts.
The other things that factor in like blocking and picking up blitzes/assignments, hard to tell, the nod would probably go to Cunningham there.
Bam Bam does not impress me much as a runner.
I am "starting" Pead week 1 with Cunningham sharing the load.

Stel

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd like to see them keep Cunningham, Watts, Reynolds and Brown.

What about Gurley and Mason? That would give you six on the roster (well, 5 since Watts won't count yet). You think they keep 5 on the 53?

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
What about Gurley and Mason? That would give you six on the roster (well, 5 since Watts won't count yet). You think they keep 5 on the 53?

Right.

The idea would be a rolling 5, you keep Brown during the Watts suspension and cut him afterwards.

It feels like that depth makes sense to me right now given the murkiness of Gurley and Mason's recovery.

I just don't like any of the other contenders (Mason, Cunningham, Pead, Watts, Reynolds) for short yardage work while Gurley is out. Brown may not have any experience but at least he has the physical presence for it.

lockdnram21

Legend
No way Reynolds, Brown, or Watts make it over Lead IMO.

I think its Gurley, Cunningham, mason, pead, Reynolds. Reynolds holds spot until Watts come back

Big Willie

Starter
I think they keep 5 RBs, 5 WRs, 9 OL, 3 QBs, 3 TEs. They will keep more RBs to protect against health issues of the top two. I think Lonacre makes it on the PS.

Last edited:

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Pead stays, so does Watts and so does Brown. I don't see Reynolds staying anymore. The guys been outsourced just about everywhere. He's superfluous as a RB and we've got people who do his job on special teams just as well if not better than him.

Athos

Legend
Pead against the Hags scares me. As he has no vision imagine the few holes that do open up against the Hags, he'll prolly run away from. Dude just has no field vision.

BamBam does look slower but he's good at catching the ball. Slippery in the passing game.

Brown... Not sure. Not a lot of touches but we need a big body week one.