Rams Roster Review: OT Joseph Barksdale

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Rams Roster Review: OT Joseph Barksdale
By Tevin Broner@T_Bron

187602429.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Michael Hickey

In this series we will attempt to review the players on the Rams roster. Today we will start with Joe Barksdale.

One of the biggest surprises for the St. Louis Rams last season had to be Joseph Barksdale, who was claimed off of waivers in 2012 after the Oakland Raiders released him. In 2012 he played in 6 games and started in 2 of those. Barksdale was off many people's radars and nobody considered him becoming a starter in 2013.

However, in 2013, Barksdale had a chance to fill in for Rodger Saffold as he was battling injuries. He did so well that the Rams alternated between him and Saffold for a few weeks, before deciding to move Saffold to guard.

So how well did Barksdale play last season? Well, Pro Football Focus rated Barksdale as the 25th best offensive tackle in league with an overall grade of 12.2 pass blocking grade of 11.9, but he's run blocking was -4.9. There's also Bleacher's Report writer Matt Miller who ranked Joe Barksdale as 13th out of 35 right tackles.

Expectations for Barksdale this season?

Jeff Fisher's hopes should be pretty high this year for Barksdale this season. He will be heading into this year as a starter, and he has a season worth of experience under his belt. He's also still young enough enough (26) to develop as a player. Also, this will be Barksdales' contract season. We all know - in a player's contract season - they usually play at a higher level, which would be a great thing for the Rams.

If Barksdale can improve on his run blocking he could become a top 10 right tackle. It's hard to see him regressing as a player because he played so well in 2013, but it could happen. However, after seeing some more of his games during the off season, he's more impressive than I thought. I personally don't think that he will regress, and see a bright future for Barksdale.

Will he make the Rams roster in 2014?

Barksdale will continue being the starter at right tackle for the Rams, unless Orlando Pace returns and decides to play right tackle...
-------------------------------------
Not part of this article but while searching for video on Joe Barksdale I came across this and found it amusing.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Love this guy. I really hope he continues to improve in 2014 and we lock him up long term. I've always been intrigued by his upside and talent (also Brandon Washington's, and we see how that has gone...), and it was gratifying to see him step in and play well last year.

Hopefully Barrett Jones is the 2014 version of Barksdale, stepping in on the line and proving to be a valuable young long-term starter.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
As if we needed further evidence of this FO's ability to find and secure talent, even from another team's roster.

Not to mention coach Boo's ability to develop that talent.

Anybody missing the previous regimes? Or Steve Loney, for that matter? Lol.

Happy days are here again!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Love this guy. I really hope he continues to improve in 2014 and we lock him up long term. I've always been intrigued by his upside and talent (also Brandon Washington's, and we see how that has gone...), and it was gratifying to see him step in and play well last year.

Hopefully Barrett Jones is the 2014 version of Barksdale, stepping in on the line and proving to be a valuable young long-term starter.
You really like Brandon Washington? He doesn't look like a starter to me....

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
You really like Brandon Washington? He doesn't look like a starter to me....
I do. Well, I did. Liked him a lot in the 2012 draft - thought he was 3rd-round talent.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I saw Craig Dahl on the video and almost puked. He is at least top 5 of my most hated players.

Also in regards to the video, Saffold is really into Call of Duty. If I remember correctly, he owns one of the biggest competitive Call of Duty teams. Rise Gaming, I think. That's why he was so amped that he did good, haha.

nighttrain

Legend

Jones at C for the next decade would be oh so sweet!
train

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Is that meant to be in blue font?

well actually, it was...Just testing all the buttons and gadgets in here. Trying to show emphasis ...I saw a lil of Brandon Washington in the week 17 game vs Seattle. He may have played the week before as well. He appears a lil, how can I say it, out of shape. And moves terribly....Its funny, cause I liked Travis Bond in college, and I bet he's built like Washington is now....

well actually, it was...Just testing all the buttons and gadgets in here. Trying to show emphasis ...I saw a lil of Brandon Washington in the week 17 game vs Seattle. He may have played the week before as well. He appears a lil, how can I say it, out of shape. And moves terribly....Its funny, cause I liked Travis Bond in college, and I bet he's built like Washington is now....

It's just that blue font typically indicates sarcasm.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like him when he keeps Bradford upright!
nfl_a_barksdale_j_200x300.jpg

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
As if we needed further evidence of this FO's ability to find and secure talent, even from another team's roster.

Not to mention coach Boo's ability to develop that talent.

Anybody missing the previous regimes? Or Steve Loney, for that matter? Lol.

Happy days are here again!

Only Vermeil's as far as missing any. That was the most fun I ever had as a Rams fan.

Oh, thanks for the heads-up...So does red font mean, like mad? what does bold mean? italics?

Red font means you're a douche.

I tend to use italics if I'm quoting a single line from a long article, but the only thing with any meaning attached is blue.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Red font means you're a douche.

I tend to use italics if I'm quoting a single line from a long article, but the only thing with any meaning attached is blue.
I tend to use Italics for emphasis as opposed to ALL CAPS too. It seems less aggressive to me.

"So what you're saying is, Bradford can't see the whole field?" -- Makes it sound like I'm being incredulous.
"So what YOU'RE saying is, Bradford CAN'T see the whole field?" -- Makes it sound like I'm calling you an idiot.