Rams roster move

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Reynolds was inactive because he was injured. I think this move is more about needing depth because of injury as much as anything else. Dunbar has been dinged for the past 3 weeks, and its obvious it is having an impact on his play. I can envision a scenario where Herring, who has now been here a month, could step in and get some reps at LB. Or Bates.

As far as the 6th WR, I don't think they ever really planned on keeping all 6, and once Austin and Bailey got back, one of them had to go. Having a 6th LB makes much more sense than having that 6th WR, IMO. Especially when you consider they are so thin at CB right now, which can have a huge impact on who is active for coverage units.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't agree with this at all. In Williams' system, they are asking Ogletree to do much more than he was asked to do last year. He has assumed the SLB role this year, which calls for much more reading and reacting, as well as having to take on TEs at the point of attack much more than at WLB.

Add to that, his additional responsibility in the Nickel, and its like learning all over again. His issue isn't instincts, IMO, it has more to do with him still being at the point of thinking too much, and getting away from just letting his athleticism take over.

I didn't even think Ogletree was that instinctive in college. He got by on athleticism. I was not a fan of the pick. Sure Williams system is tough and he is now a SLB but he went from MLB in college to WLB with the Rams with more ease. I guess I am not a believer and gaffes like giving up the edge and not taking good angles reinforces it for me.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I didn't even think Ogletree was that instinctive in college. He got by on athleticism. I was not a fan of the pick. Sure Williams system is tough and he is now a SLB but he went from MLB in college to WLB with the Rams with more ease. I guess I am not a believer and gaffes like giving up the edge and not taking good angles reinforces it for me.
So, given that you were not a fan of the pick at the time, do you think that may be tainting your opinion of him now? Because, as last season progressed, he played a whole lot better. And I have no reason to think similar results won't happen again this year.

Last year, he didn't play WLB, as they made a point of not designating such. He played on the left side and in the Nickel. They are asking him to do a lot more this year.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Bucs waived Shayne Skov off the PS. I would love if the Rams added him to the PS.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So, given that you were not a fan of the pick at the time, do you think that may be tainting your opinion of him now? Because, as last season progressed, he played a whole lot better. And I have no reason to think similar results won't happen again this year.

Last year, he didn't play WLB, as they made a point of not designating such. He played on the left side and in the Nickel. They are asking him to do a lot more this year.

I thought he was more successful in college because of his athleticism rather than his instincts. Very instinctual LBer often have seemless transitions into the NFL. LBers are often DPoY every year. It is the runningback position of the defense. As usual I prefer to be wrong and hope I will be, but so far I think I am spot on.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
As far as the 6th WR, I don't think they ever really planned on keeping all 6,
But didn't Fish say in his presser after the Pettis release that they usually carry 6?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
But didn't Fish say in his presser after the Pettis release that they usually carry 6?
yes, but they also usually carry 6 LBs,,, not 5 RBs, but they aren't getting rid of Chase Reynolds or Trey Watts at this point. Both are more valuable to the roster than a 6th WR.

And all of this will be revisited in a couple of week when Chris Long is ready to come back. Hopefully, by then, the CB situation will have been sorted out, with Johnson and McGee making their way back. And then, IMO, assuming they keep all 6 LBs, you could be looking at McGee or Watts being at risk.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
yes, but they also usually carry 6 LBs,,, not 5 RBs, but they aren't getting rid of Chase Reynolds or Trey Watts at this point. Both are more valuable to the roster than a 6th WR.

And all of this will be revisited in a couple of week when Chris Long is ready to come back. Hopefully, by then, the CB situation will have been sorted out, with Johnson and McGee making their way back. And then, IMO, assuming they keep all 6 LBs, you could be looking at McGee or Watts being at risk.
Yeah. Not done shaking things up - are we.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Thinking too much @jjab360 can make a player look like that....I'm sure they told him (in fact Fisher said this in his presser) b4 the play that Wilson went around his edge, "you have outside contain" yet he still forgot...classic case...Not worried about Tree just yet, but all concern is definitely warranted....but all the LB's have looked a lil lost...probably Dunbar has looked the best vs the run....Since his injury Jo Lon has struggled when the opponents have passed....Seem like teams are targeting certain players in coverage & with certain plays....I have faith the Greg Williams will straight this out....Hopefully sooner rather than later..Like this week...llol

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
What we don't know is how many times Pettis got in trouble for policy violations or for being late to meetings etc... I know how it is when you have a guy that just pushes the edge of conduct all of the time. Sooner or later you have to move him on for the good of the rest.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yeah. Not done shaking things up - are we.
Is that you, Master Yoda?
1465854-yoda1.jpg

Rambition

Rookie
Not the help at LB I was hoping for. Guy hasn't done anything in his third year now. 1 tackle 1 assist.
yes, somehow i was hoping for a bit more. perhaps something else is still to come? meanwhile, let's see what mcfadden can do in a rams uniform, i guess.

Rambition

Rookie
I don't agree with this at all. In Williams' system, they are asking Ogletree to do much more than he was asked to do last year. He has assumed the SLB role this year, which calls for much more reading and reacting, as well as having to take on TEs at the point of attack much more than at WLB.

Add to that, his additional responsibility in the Nickel, and its like learning all over again. His issue isn't instincts, IMO, it has more to do with him still being at the point of thinking too much, and getting away from just letting his athleticism take over.
do you think they're asking too much of him, coach?

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
As far as Ogletree and "edge contain", I got three words for everyone.

Russell Fucking Wilson.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to give up that egde the way Ogletree did. I can understand if he was just flat out beat by the qb but he wasnt... He beat himself by taking an inside angle as if the RB had the ball and he was running to the other freaking side of the field. Even if Wilson didn't have the ball and he handed it to the rb, tree had like a 10% chance of making a takle. The whole flow of the play went away from him but he took an inside angle when he should have had outside containment. That's a high school mistake... a little league mistake.... like i said I could see if Wilson made a good play but he didn't, Ogletree made a horrific play.

Alan

Legend
VegasRam using his brain:
As far as Ogletree and "edge contain", I got three words for everyone.

Russell freaking Wilson.
Smallish quick and nimble guy known for his scrambling ability faking out a big LB and running by him? Doesn't sound right to me. :LOL:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I'm hoping Ogletree is just stuck in a kind of temporary negative abyss...From my experience in another sport, things can sometimes get into your head and can take a bit of time to get it cleared up...He has too much probable upside to panic about him just yet...Just my opinion, of course...