Rams roster cuts are starting

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Aaron Donald is worth the investment Borckers or not. Making him one of the highest paid defenders in the league is a no brainer no matter who he is playing with.

Rams clearly don't value the NT position very highly. This is the third year in a row going without a backup NT and with the third tackle being more of a penetrator.

I am not saying cut Brockers now and go with small guys. I am saying Rams probably cant afford to pay 3 d lineman 10 million plus especially with one Donald being one of the highest paid players in the league. If Brockers is gone after the year they have the draft and FA to get a big two down guy to take up space for Donald at a much cheaper price than 10 million per year.

The Rams have said they're looking ahead to Donald and what he is going to command. It would not surprise me if they locked him up early, as that's a great way to show a great player you're serious and it also saves you diniero on the back end vice letting him sniff FA.

Agreed on NT. You can find those guys, plain and simple. I expect the Rams to try to get him signed within reason, but if he's hell bent on gettin paid big money he's gone. They have depth for now and are very astute with the DL position from the scouting to the coaching. I don't think Brock is going to try to break the bank, but you never know with these guys.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thomas' contract was terminated like Ayers was. I have a feeling they did some crap they shouldn't have.

I think they just played like dookie in the preseason. Ayers made a lot of bad plays. Thomas was just kind of a big body. Didn't do much. Played too high.

Aaron Donald is worth the investment Borckers or not. Making him one of the highest paid defenders in the league is a no brainer no matter who he is playing with.

Rams clearly don't value the NT position very highly. This is the third year in a row going without a backup NT and with the third tackle being more of a penetrator.

I am not saying cut Brockers now and go with small guys. I am saying Rams probably cant afford to pay 3 d lineman 10 million plus especially with one Donald being one of the highest paid players in the league. If Brockers is gone after the year they have the draft and FA to get a big two down guy to take up space for Donald at a much cheaper price than 10 million per year.

Brock will get $7 to $8 million a year. Would be shocked if he gets $10 million a year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
2016 FINAL 53

QB (3)
Case Keenum
Sean Mannion
Jared Goff

WR (7)
Kenny Britt
Tavon Austin
Pharoh Cooper
Nelson Spruce
Mike Thomas
Brian Quick
Bradley Marquez

RB (4)
Todd Gurley
Benny Cunningham
Malcolm Brown
Chase Reynolds

TE (4)
Lance Kendricks
Cory Harkey
Tyler Higbee
Tammarick Hemingway

OL (10)
Greg Robinson
Rob Havenstein
Tim Barnes
Rodger Saffold
Jamon Brown
Cody Wichmann
Andrew Donnal
Demetrius Rhaney
David Arkin
Pace Murphy

Garrett Reynolds (IR)
Darrell Williams (IR)

DL (8)
Aaron Donald
Robert Quinn
Michael Brockers
William Hayes
Dominique Easley
Ethan Westbrooks
Matt Longacre
Eugene Sims

LB (6)
Alec Ogletree
Mark Barron
Bryce Hager
Josh Forrest
Nic Grigsby
Cory Littleton

CB (5)
Trumaine Johnson
EJ Gaines
Troy Hill
Lamarcus Joyner
Coty Sensabaugh

S (3)
T.J. McDonald
Maurice Alexander
Cody Davis

ST (3)
Johnny Hekker
Jake McQuaide
Greg Zuerlein

No real surprises for me. Closest thing to one was Kush, because he was solid throughout preseason and was drive blocking like a demon on some plays of late. But I get it, dude lacks upside and when they started auditioning backups the writing was on the wall.

Close second for me was the LBs. Young LBs tend to translate well to special teams just like safeties do. Not sure that I agree all 3 of them deserve NFL paychecks vs several of those cut, but as we all know special teams is the great equalizer for the younguns.

At WR there is obviously zero chance they stick with 7. Wish I could say Quick was a surprise. Dude is still a dumb player to my eye, who still can't play fast in year 15 because he's thinking, and he's not going to bring the cost efficiency vs special teams play like the young guys. When Coop returns it's curtains for someone and unless one of those rooks struggles on special teams or makes a big mistake I expect Quick to get a chance for a fresh start elsewhere. Right now IMO he knows: he'd better shine in SF.

We're going to see some of our cuts get picked up around the league as the weeks go by. And we might see the Rams make a move on a safety, since 3 is scaring the hell out of me.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I thought Roberson looked good when he played last year. A little raw but nothing that couldn't be corrected with coaching by a group of position coaches who've worked wonders.

Given the lack of depth we're left with at CB, odd decision to let him go in my view.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
TJ- Probably would be anslam dunk if not for his offseason arrest, which also probably cost him the captaincy. He has also only played 16 games once. Could still happen because his position is the least expensive of the bunch.
I wouldn't extend TJ just yet. He needs to have a full, impact, consistent season IMO.
Still a ton of upside there. Hopefully that comes with maturation.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
CB is the most worrisome unit IMO.

I am happy with the guys we have... But we are a couple of injuries away from major holes.

Was it 2011 when Spags went thin at CB when setting the final roster? Injuries hit... Our whole secondary was in-season free agents. Horrible!

I thought Roberson looked good when he played last year. A little raw but nothing that couldn't be corrected with coaching by a group of position coaches who've worked wonders.

Given the lack of depth we're left with at CB, odd decision to let him go in my view.

I agree. He was a serviceable CB. Unless there was something behind the scenes, this seems like an odd decision and now we are thin-thin.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah with 5th round picks being so valuable and such heavy contributors on a regular basis. The only other OT's drafted in the 5th round after where that pick would have been made (if we hadn't ended up trading it anyways) are either cut or on IR.

The only point I can make about the pick is one why not take a risk on Collins from LSU like Dallas did ?? I mean who could agrue the draft selection of The Rams O'line class of 2005.

The upper part being said. Why take that risk when your already loaded with young O'line man,plus you bring him in so late. The Rams would have had to cut him last year if he did Not get injured as well.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
What the Hell!!!!
You leave the country for a few days and your favorite Ram gets cut
ROBERSON!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Weirdest outcome among our cuts IMO.

I credit Andrew Siciliano with info on Cory Littleton, he kept saying during the Kansas City Chief broadcast that the Rams were very high on him otherwise I would have not know he had a chance. Forrest played really well in preseason and drives you when he tackles you, I love the kid.

To me the shocker was Nicholas Grigsby did not notice him much in preseason and he could be the starter, however, all the Ram linebackers can run so it will be interesting to see how this unit performs in 2016.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Was it 2011 when Spags went thin at CB when setting the final roster? Injuries hit... Our whole secondary was in-season free agents. Horrible!

2011 Injured Reserve list

WestCoastRam

Legend
Someone said it but Whitner at Safety after the 1st week and contracts aren't guaranteed? Or have to imagine that when we cut the 7th WR we pick up Bryant again...

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Brock will get $7 to $8 million a year. Would be shocked if he gets $10 million a year.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Brock already makes a little over 6 million this year under the 5th year option so his agent is probably looking for more than 1-2 million dollar raise. If you look at recent DT deals of players in the same tier as Brock Tyronne Crawford and Damon Harrison are making 9 and 9.25 mil a year respectively. Brock has more career sacks than both and is just as good against the run. Also have to consider Brock is unusually young he is 25 in his 5th season and physical specimen at DT at 6'5 326. The contract Damon Harrison signed last year 5 years for $46.25 ($9.25/year) will be the starting point for negotiations. When you consider Aaron Donald making around 20 mil a year, 10 mil a year for Brocks is a tough pill to swallow

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
LB and secondary units worry me greatly. Hope the youngsters shine!!

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Brock already makes a little over 6 million this year under the 5th year option so his agent is probably looking for more than 1-2 million dollar raise. If you look at recent DT deals of players in the same tier as Brock Tyronne Crawford and Damon Harrison are making 9 and 9.25 mil a year respectively. Brock has more career sacks than both and is just as good against the run. Also have to consider Brock is unusually young he is 25 in his 5th season and physical specimen at DT at 6'5 326. The contract Damon Harrison signed last year 5 years for $46.25 ($9.25/year) will be the starting point for negotiations. When you consider Aaron Donald making around 20 mil a year, 10 mil a year for Brocks is a tough pill to swallow

He's one of the best. He'll certainly be looking for $10m or so.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Marcus Roberson is not very good @ practice period. He has never won the hearts of coaches in this area. When he gets in a real game he holds his own much better. He has a very laid back ...air of being cool & stuff related to personality. This was eluded too when he went UNdrafted but having some very good outside corner talent.

I have no inside information but it could be just as simple as the coaches finally got sick & tired if his half ass efforts when they were demanding it from others in TC & pre season. WE may have seen it when it came to the Akeem Ayers release too where Ayers was not listening to Tree with his DC calls. Both these veteran defenders looked like they were going through the motions when they were on the field......But to have cut him & leaving the corner cadre unit real thin......Marcus pee pee'd off somebody & me thinks it was Gregg Williams.

I can see a couple of DB's being added here in the coming weeks & lets hope EJ Gaines has a speedy recovery.

Last edited: