Rams' rookies taking things slow -- well, three-quarter speed -- as orientation rolls/FSMW

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams' rookies taking things slow -- well, three-quarter speed -- as orientation rolls on
Elisabeth Meinecke
FOX Sports Midwest

http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/st...three-quarter-speed-orientation-begins-050915

ST. LOUIS -- The Rams take an interesting mindset into their version of rookie minicamp, which started Friday at Rams Park.

For starters, they don't actually call it rookie minicamp.

"We call it orientation," head coach Jeff Fisher explained Saturday. "We've talked to them about this. It's not their fault. They are not in the same condition that the vets are, 'cause the vets -- many of them were in before the start of the offseason program. They got a three-week head start. And so our job is to get them caught up. So that's what we're doing."

After two days on the field, the newcomers didn't have a single soft tissue issue, according to Fisher. He said the Rams had a "long lecture" with the rookies Friday about not going faster than three-quarters speed, and added that the rookies won't be allowed to lift with the veterans this week. The first time they go on the field with the veterans will be Thursday, and the focus will be on skill development.

The team's cautious approach might help prevent what happened Friday to the Jacksonville Jaguars' Dante Fowler, the No. 3 selection overall in the 2015 draft, who suffered a season-ending ACL injury during minicamp.

"It's very, very unfortunate. I didn't look at it. I just heard," Fisher said of the situation. "I heard he was in an 11-on-11 full-speed pass rush and he had a problem. Our philosophy is not to put them in that position for a couple of weeks until we know where they're at."

The Rams' tactic is something Fisher admitted they stumbled upon.

"We've done this for years. Now, our first year here, our numbers were larger so we were able to do a little bit more work," he said. "Just because of the current roster, the active roster size, our numbers aren't where you're able to do more. And so we kind of fell into this."

O-Line standouts

Despite it being only the second day of "orientation," Fisher admitted it's hard not to notice the group of offensive lineman the team drafted -- second-round pick Rob Havenstein (321 pounds), third-round pick Jamon Brown (323 pounds), fourth-round pick Andrew Donnal (316 pounds) and sixth-round pick Cody Wichmann (319 pounds).

"Somebody said yesterday, they look like refrigerators with legs," Fisher said. "It's a good-looking group, and they're moving around pretty good."

Fisher also confirmed that the Rams had been interested in offensive lineman La'el Collins, a top prospect who went undrafted because of legal issues before ultimately signing with the Dallas Cowboys.

"We still had some unanswered questions at the time at which he made his decision, but we were involved," Fisher said. "We were told by them that we were in the final four, which is not necessarily a consolation, but we were involved, yes. But again, had we not had the success we had in the draft, we probably would have been more involved."

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams take different approach to rookie 'orientation'
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...take-different-approach-to-rookie-orientation

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Somewhere along the way, the words "rookie minicamp" when paired together became verboten around the St. Louis Rams.

That's why there's no evidence of what took place at Rams Park in the past two days being called anything other than Jeff Fisher's preferred term.

"We kind of fell into this," Fisher said. "Nowhere in the building are you going to see anything that says 'rookie minicamp.' We call it orientation. We have talked to them about this. It's not their fault. They're not in the same condition that the vets are. The vets, many of them were in before the start of the offseason program, they got a three-week head start and so our job is to get them caught up. That's what we're doing."

Fisher and the Rams welcomed their nine drafted players, 15 undrafted rookies and a pair of tryout prospects to St. Louis on Thursday and held what amounted to glorified conditioning sessions on Friday and Saturday. In total, they didn't spend more than about two-and-a-half hours on the field, but that doesn't mean there wasn't work getting done.

From Fisher's perspective, the idea is to slowly introduce the rookies to the mix before throwing them in with the veterans. He instructed the rookies to practice no faster than about three-quarter speed during the on-field work. Only running back Todd Gurley (knee) and receiver Bud Sasser (pending physical tests) did not participate.

Even with these two days over, Fisher won't let the rookies join the veterans in the weight room yet. In fact, the rookies won't have much interaction with the veterans until Thursday, when they do some skill development.

"That's kind of the way we approach it," Fisher said. "We had two good days on the field and we don't have a single soft tissue issue with anybody. So we have got to get them caught up. We are going to use the next week or two to get them caught up."

Getting caught up includes a little bit of everything, Fisher said. That means getting the rookies ready in the weight room, in player development, on the football side, even diet.

When the rookies do join the veterans on Thursday of next week, they'll still have be in separate offensive and defensive groups doing drill work on the field. By league rule, they can't come together as an entire team on the field until the beginning of June.

And the rookie class is now with the team until the end of organized team activities, with the draft class able to stick around until the rookie symposium on June 22.

RamBill

Legend
Badgers in the NFL: Rob Havenstein, St. Louis Rams Q&A with Turf Show Times

By Jake Kocorowski

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2015/5/9/8577519/wisconsin-badgers-news-rob-havenstein-st-louis-rams

There were only two Wisconsin Badgers drafted in the NFL Draft last weekend, but both were in the first two days of the NFL Draft.

Running back Melvin Gordon was drafted No. 15 overall by the San Diego Chargers, while right tackle Rob Havenstein was taken in the second round (57th overall) by the St. Louis Rams. It's the third time in four years a duo of Badgers went in the first two rounds, joining Kevin Zeitler and Peter Konz (2012) and Travis Frederick and Montee Ball (2013) to hold that distinction.

To discuss the impact Havenstein could make on Sundays in St. Louis, we asked Turf Show Times' Joe McAtee to stop on by and answer our questions.

Bucky's 5th Quarter (B5Q): Overall, what was the buzz from St. Louis fans after drafting Havenstein?

Joe McAtee (JM): Well, I think there were two different sentiments. First and foremost, Rams fans were just relieved to get an offensive lineman. Going into the draft, we only had two starting offensive linemen. We knew the 2015 draft was going to have to address it, but after taking a running back in the first round which was not a position of need, many were worried how much talent we'd get out of the draft on the line. The second sentiment from many Rams fans was one of not knowing Havenstein (despite my having touted him since early in the 2013 season...). He wasn't offered up as a high pick in mock drafts, so Rams fans who aren't intimately plugged into the draft hadn't seen/heard of him. Of course, offensive linemen don't exactly have the most star power so much of that wasn't even because of Havenstein specifically. I think with the opening at right tackle and the Rams' clear intent to lean on the running game more than in years past, Rams fans have certainly grown into the decision.

B5Q: Havenstein anchored the Wisconsin offensive line -- starting all 41 games his last three years as a Badger. Are they projecting him to be at right tackle, and starting from day one?

JM: For me, the answers are yes and yes. Rams head coach Jeff Fisher was unequivocal about former Auburn left tackle Greg Robinson being locked in as the 2015 Rams' starting left tackle. Of course, Fisher's public statements should always be taken with a grain of salt, but I don't think Robinson did anything to lose the starting gig he earned after a few games. On that last part though, Fisher is always slow to integrate rookies into the team. Fisher didn't even start Aaron Donald until week 5 and he earned the 2014 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year award.
So while I expect Havenstein to move over to the right side and to start day one, I wouldn't be surprised if Fisher opts for some other scenario to start the season.

B5Q: Is there legitimate competition for the Rams' offensive line that Havenstein will have to battle through to be a starter?

JM: Oh absolutely, but I'm biased in favor of Havenstein. The Rams have a ton of depth to work through during the NFL gallimaufry of offseason stuff: minicamp, offseason training activities, training camp and preseason games. I think the only real competition from what the Rams have right now (I say that only because free agency could change things between now and August) would be former Iowa right tackle Andrew Donnal. He's got experience at right tackle and as a fourth-round pick, he's not going anywhere. My guess? Havenstein's the starting right tackle going into preseason and coming out of it for the 2015 regular season.

B5Q: Looking at the entire draft picks for St. Louis, what message did they send with their draft picks, and did they address positions of need?

JM: Did they ever. As I mentioned above, the Rams were extremely thin on the offensive line. Left tackle Jake Long was injured again and cut. Center Scott Wells and right guard Davin Joseph were at the end of the career; Wells was released and the team isn't pursuing Joseph to re-sign. Right tackle Joe Barksdale is still floating in the free agent waters. So the Rams had depleted the stores when it comes to the line. They came out of the draft with four new offensive linemen as well as an undrafted free agent. Coupled with the selection of Georgia running back Todd Gurley at No. 10, the clear indication is that the draft was part of Jeff Fisher's intention to go back to a physical, run-heavy brand of football. The Rams' secondary coach said simply, "We're gonna be going old school on 'em." It's certainly not holding to convention in the modern, pass-happy NFL (of the top 13 single seasons by passing yards among all NFL quarterbacks, 11 of them were in 2011 or since...). It's an interesting counterstrategy and I guess we'll have to see how it plays out, but the Rams haven't had a winning record since 2003. Whatever works, we'll be fine with it.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The first time they go on the field with the veterans will be Thursday, and the focus will be on skill development.
Can't wait to see pictures of this meeting!!:D

"Somebody said yesterday, they look like refrigerators with legs," Fisher said. "It's a good-looking group, and they're moving around pretty good."
Maybe they will end up calling themselves the " Refrigeration Unit!" Because they'll be cooling off opposing D Units!?!:LOL:(y)(y)

Alan

Legend
Joe McAtee with this bit of pseudo wisdom:
"The second sentiment from many Rams fans was one of not knowing Havenstein (despite my having touted him since early in the 2013 season...). He wasn't offered up as a high pick in mock drafts, so Rams fans who aren't intimately plugged into the draft hadn't seen/heard of him. Of course, offensive linemen don't exactly have the most star power so much of that wasn't even because of Havenstein specifically."

Maybe, but if you're knowledgeable enough to see the problem you're probably knowledgeable enough to have all the top OTs on your radar. I don't think he's giving even the average fan enough credit.

JM: with this bit of actual wisdom:
"On that last part though, Fisher is always slow to integrate rookies into the team. Fisher didn't even start Aaron Donald until week 5 and he earned the 2014 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year award.
So while I expect Havenstein to move over to the right side and to start day one, I wouldn't be surprised if Fisher opts for some other scenario to start the season."

Says it all.

RamBill

Legend
Rookie OL stand out for Rams
Nate Latsch

http://stl.scout.com/story/1545248-rookie-ol-stand-out-for-rams?s=124

ST. LOUIS — It wasn’t hard to notice the Rams’ five new offensive linemen during their rookie orientation program on Friday and Saturday.
With No. 1 pick Todd Gurley sitting out while recovering from the knee injury that prematurely ended his junior season at Georgia, the Rams’ rookie offensive linemen stood out at the practice sessions.

“It’s hard not to look at the four offensive linemen we drafted and say, ‘Wow,’” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Saturday when asked if any of the rookie caught his eye. “Somebody said yesterday they look like refrigerators with legs. It’s a good-looking group and they’re moving around pretty good.”

Seeking to renovate the offensive line this offseason, Fisher and general manager Les Snead invested four draft picks on the offensive front after signing tackle-guard Garrett Reynolds to a free-agent deal and re-signing reserve center Tim Barnes.

They used a second-round pick on Wisconsin right tackle Rob Havenstein, a third-round pick on Louisville’s Jamon Brown, a fourth-rounder on Andrew Donnal from Iowa and a sixth-round pick on guard Cody Wichmann from Fresno State.

Those four were joined at rookie orientation by undrafted free agent Darrell Williams, a left tackle from South Florida.

Williams worked at left tackle over the two days of on-field work, with Donnal at left guard, Wichmann at center, Brown at right guard and Havenstein at his customary right tackle spot.

The five rookies represented a larger group than Fisher’s Rams have had in the past few seasons, but they were able to get plenty of reps on the field.

“It’s great work for them,” Fisher said. “The Iowa offensive system, the Wisconsin offensive system are probably more closer to what we do. Fresno State, Cody (Wichmann) is well-coached. We’re really excited about Jamon (Brown) because he’s got tremendous athletic ability. I don’t think it’s going to be a long time for the four of them to catch on to the techniques and things and what not.”

With only two starters returning from last season in left tackle Greg Robinson and veteran guard Rodger Saffold, it’s possible the Rams could start two of the rookie linemen this season if the team doesn’t re-sign starting right tackle Joe Barksdale.

Havenstein, a 6-foot-7, 321-pounder, could open the season as the team’s right tackle, though Saffold could move back to that spot and Reynolds has experience after starting four games at that position for the Detroit Lions last year.

Brown, a 6-4, 323-pounder, could start at one of the guard spots opposite Saffold after playing tackle at Louisville. Donnal and Wichmann will also go into training camp competing for one of those guard spots, along with veterans like Brandon Washington.

The Rams have made no secret of the fact that they want to be a physical team and run the football. The upheaval along the front line — where Jake Long and Scott Wells were released and Barksdale and Davin Joseph remain unsigned free agents — speaks to the changes needed to make that a reality.

Now the issue is how quickly players like Havenstein and Brown can become contributors and earn starting spots. They certainly look the part and have plenty of experience from their college careers. This weekend’s rookie orientation was just the beginning.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
My man 3K! Like his stuff....

I'm already liking the picks...why, cause Fisher's badass, he's funny the way he rubs stuff in organizations faces, Fish's comments, "we ALWAYS go 3/4 on the first day, we stress that in orientation" ...or something like that...

It was strange to see the Jags going hard like that on day 1....I remember the...who got Shay...they was just walking around doing track stuff, band work...but I figured the vets get to go easy and the Jags were trying to pump the rookies up with offense vs defense action...

RamBill

Legend
Rams Getting Rookies up to Speed
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rams-Getting-Rookies-up-to-Speed/a3540569-49a4-40f8-a28d-dce52ae0a85d

The Rams 2015 rookie class took the field for the first time on Friday and Saturday, with 26 drafted, undrafted, and tryout players. In a way, it’s like the first few days of school in that the young players are having initial meetings with their coaches and fellow rookie teammates. And with the way head coach Jeff Fisher likes to run things, it’s a time to get the young players caught up to the veterans in the overall offseason program.

“Nowhere in the building are you going to see anything that says, ‘rookie minicamp.’ We call it orientation,” Fisher said. “We’ve talked to [the rookies] about this -- it’s not their fault. They are not in the same condition that the vets are because the vets, many of them were in before the start of the offseason program.”

Fisher added that the Rams will not have the rookies lift with the veterans for a while, and will not have them on the field together until Thursday. The head coach said the team stressed the importance of not going faster than three-quarter speed to reduce the risk of injury.

“We’re combining walk-thrus and meetings,” Fisher said of the rookie program. “We’ve got to get the fitness part going, so it’s the weight room, it’s player development, it’s football -- it’s just everything. It’s diet, it’s flexibility. We find out where they are so we can start off appropriately next week.”

One of the four offensive linemen the Rams selected in the draft, Andrew Donnal said that the way the club runs orientation is beneficial to the players’ development.

“It’s a lot of stuff, but the nice part is that this is all we do right now,” he said. “It’s all football. We’re not in college anymore so we don’t have school. We don’t have any other distractions. It’s all football all the time, so we have plenty of time to get the material down.”

Focusing solely on football is helpful in that there is a lot the rookies must do to settle in. There’s the obvious “speed of the game,” which rookies cite as a significant change from college to the pros year after year. The Rams 2015 rookie class is no different.

“Anytime you jump up a level, the speed of the game is going to be faster -- something to adjust to, get used to,” offensive lineman Rob Havenstein said. “Obviously, I haven’t done it to this point. So I’m looking forward to learning from that and just trying to be a better football player.”

“We’re just dealing with fresh-out-of-college guys, and it still seems faster because these are all top-notch players,” offensive lineman Cody Wichmann said. “I can only imagine when the big dogs come in here.”

But there is more to it than that. Players are not only getting used to a new environment and new system, but also a different timeframe when it comes to understanding technique.

“They expect you to pick up on things quicker than when you were in college,” offensive lineman Jamon Brown said. “In college, you slow it down, they kind of walk you through a lot more things. But out here, they show you it, and they expect you to be able to soak it in and apply it to the drills.”

There’s also the terminology and technique aspect of adjusting, and some players have more of an advantage. Fisher cited Donnal and Havenstein as two examples because the Iowa and Wisconsin offensive systems are similar to what St. Louis employs. Quarterback Sean Mannion is in a like position, given his experience at Oregon State.

“I know just learning the offense, it wasn’t my first time with certain protections, it wasn’t my first time with certain patterns,” he said of his first couple of days at Rams Park. “But the detail that goes into every little aspect of each play is just so much higher. There’s always tons and tons of things to be sharp on, to learn about, so that way the offense can run at a high level.”

While it’s much too early in the process to come away with any conclusions, Fisher said the O-line has caught his eye. In addition to the four draft picks -- Havenstein, Brown, Donnal, and Cody Wichmann -- the Rams brought in Darrell Williams as an undrafted free agent.

“It’s hard not to look at the four offensive linemen we drafted and say, ‘Wow,’” Fisher said. “Somebody said yesterday they look like refrigerators with legs. It’s a good looking group and they’re moving around pretty good.”

Now that they’re in St. Louis, Fisher said the Rams rookies will be in town through the duration of the offseason program.

“The draft choices are here through the symposium, which is June 22,” Fisher said. “They’re here. We’ve got them.”

RamBill

Legend
Rams rookies get up to speed at "orientation"
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_7961c535-9b23-5f62-97d0-72ea7b69b53f.html

As Jeff Fisher sees it, it was orientation — not minicamp — for 26 Rams rookies over the weekend.

“Nowhere in the building are you going to see anything that says ‘rookie minicamp,’” Fisher said Saturday. “We call it orientation.”

Even with the NFL Scouting Combine and pro days and private workouts leading up to the draft, Fisher said the rookies just aren’t in the same shape when they report as are Rams veterans.

“So our job is to get (the rookies) caught up,” he said. “That’s what we’re doing. We had a long lecture with them (Friday) not to go faster than three-quarter speed. That’s kind of the way we approach it. We’ve had two good days on the field, and I don’t have a single soft-tissue issue with anybody.”

In part because of the limited numbers, Rams rookies were on the practice field for only about an hour and 15 minutes on Friday, and the same on Saturday.

Even though the minicamp — uh, orientation — ended Saturday, the rookies are here until late June.

They will start getting mixed in with the veterans on Thursday, both in the weight room and on the field for what’s called “skill development.”

Per league rules, skill development means the players can take part in football drills with coaches present, but there can be no 11-on-11 or seven-on-seven drills. In other words, no offense vs. defense.

“We’re gonna use the next week or two to get (the rookies) completely caught up,” Fisher said.

Then come the full-speed spring practices known as OTAs starting the first week of June.

With such little practice time over the weekend, the rookies spent hours inside, be it in meeting rooms or doing walk-throughs.

“We’ve got to get the fitness part going. So it’s the weight room, it’s player development, it’s football, it’s diet, it’s flexibility,” Fisher said. “It’s everything. We find out where they are, so we can start appropriately next week.”

Obviously, sometimes injuries can’t be prevented. But there have been telling examples in the last few days that coming out full speed right away with the rookies isn’t the best way to go.

On Friday, Jaguars linebacker/defensive end Dante Fowler suffered a season-ending knee injury — a torn ACL — less than an hour into the team’s first minicamp practice.

“It’s unfortunate,” Fisher said. “I heard he was in an 11-on-11 drill, full-speed pass rush, and he had a problem. Our philosophy is not to put them in that position for a couple of weeks until we know where they’re at.”

Then on Saturday, Denver rookie tight end Jeff Heuerman suffered a knee injury that is expected to keep him out all season.

After being indoors for Friday’s practice, the Rams were able to work outside Saturday under light rain at their Earth City complex.

Once again, No. 10 overall draft pick Todd Gurley did not practice and will not do so for some time as he continues his rehabilitation work from last season’s knee surgery while in college, at Georgia.

Gurley hung out with the other running backs and watched the proceedings wearing a baseball-style cap. His left knee was wrapped.

It’s all mental reps, listening, and learning for Gurley at this point. In all likelihood, he won’t be able to practice until August. But these initial days at Rams Park aren’t wasted time.

“He’s in the meetings,” Fisher said. “He’s learning the offense. He’s killing the rehab. He’s paying attention in the walk-throughs. He’s meeting his teammates. ... He’ll definitely know what to do when he’s able to go out there.”

Meanwhile, former Missouri wide receiver Bud Sasser also was a non-participant for the second day in a row, although the sixth-round draft pick’s circumstances are murkier.

“We’re still doing some things, some physical tests, stuff like that,” Fisher said. “We should have it all cleared up here in the next day or so.”

Neither Fisher nor Sasser would provide any additional details.

On the field, it was hard to miss the five offensive linemen — four of whom were drafted players.

“Somebody said they look like refrigerators with legs,” Fisher said.

That was meant as a compliment.

“So it’s a good-looking group and they’re moving around pretty good,” Fisher said.

Second-round pick Rob Havenstein, of Wisconsin, spent Friday and Saturday working at right tackle. Third-round pick Jamon Brown (Louisville) worked at right guard, with fourth-rounder Andrew Donnel (Iowa) at left guard.

With rookie free-agent Darrell Williams (South Florida) at left tackle, that left sixth-rounder Cody Wichmann (Fresno State) no choice but to line up at center when the coaches ran drills using an entire offensive line.

It’s a position Wichmann said he’s never played before, although he said he did work snapping during his pre-draft training. But the Rams didn’t have Wichmann snapping over the weekend; he just lined up there. Third-round quarterback Sean Mannion (Oregon State) started all plays holding the football instead of taking a snap.

Interestingly, Fisher said the Rams were involved in trying to sign Louisiana State tackle/guard La’el Collins, who was not drafted after Baton Rouge, La., police wanted to question him following the murder of a former girlfriend. Collins is not considered a suspect, and was subsequently signed by Dallas as a rookie free agent.

“We still had some unanswered questions at the time at which he made his decision, but we were involved,” Fisher said. “We were told by (Collins’ agents) that we were in the final four, which isn’t necessarily a consolation. But we were involved, yes.”

And for the umpteenth time since the start of the free agency period, Fisher said the Rams continue to have conversations with still-unsigned offensive lineman Joe Barksdale.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Northwest Missouri star Longacre gets a shot with Rams
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_8ce15121-c5e0-56e5-9493-46aa85a343c1.html

Rams defensive end Matt Longacreis is out to prove himself again.

A team captain and leader at Millard West High in Omaha, Neb., Longacre drew limited recruiting interest before opting for NCAA Division II power Northwest Missouri State — largely because of the program’s winning tradition. Over the last four seasons, the Bearcats went 46-8, made four playoff appearances and capped a 15-0 campaign in 2013 with a fourth national championship.

And Longacre, a 6-foot-3, 260-pounder who recently signed as a rookie free agent with the Rams, was at the heart of that success. He twice was voted the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletic Association defensive player of the year after finishing as career leader in tackles for loss (47) and sacks (30½). As a senior, he was in on 38 tackles, including 12 for loss, with 8 ½ sacks and 17 quarterback hurries.

Despite that production, he went undrafted.

“It would’ve been nice to be drafted — it’s a huge honor; everybody wants to hear his name called — but I went into the draft knowing my situation and wasn’t overly disappointed,’’ he said after taking part in a rookie workout over the weekend at Rams Park. “I’m just happy to be here and looking forward to the opportunity to prove myself.’’

Longacre said he was in contact with the Rams throughout the final rounds of last weekend’s draft.

“I probably signed less than five minutes after the draft ended,” he said. “I had some other calls, but I just told them, ‘Sorry, I’m a Ram.’

“Going into the weekend, I talked a lot with my college coaches and my agent, and for me, the Rams just seemed like the best fit. This team has one of the best defensive lines in the league and the best defensive line coach (Mike Waufle) in the NFL. I’m looking forward to learning from the best and doing what I can to help.’’

Rated as the No. 11 small-school draft prospect by D2football.com, Longacre hopes to make an early impact on special teams.

“I’m highly motivated,” the 23-year-old said. “Being a free agent, a guy from a small school, I know I have to work and fight that much harder to make an impression. I’m going to listen to the coaches and just keep striving to get better.

“All I ever wanted was a chance. The Rams have given me that chance and the rest is up to me.”

NAIA HOPEFUL

Like Longacre, linebacker Keshaun Malone from Bacone College of Muskogee, Okla., dominated last fall. The Central States Football League defensive player of the year made 135 tackles, intercepted five passes and had a sack.

Not bad for a guy who stands 6-2 and weighs 260 pounds.

“I worked hard and had a great season. I was thrilled to get the call from St. Louis and I’m excited to be here,’’ the 22-year-old said. “Just being here, it’s great. This is the NFL, the best of the best, and I’m just going to try and push myself every single day to show them that I can play. You can’t worry about the next guy; I just want to go out every day and play my game, do what I can do and hopefully find a way to help this football team.’’

A finalist for the Cliff Harris Award, which goes to the nation’s top small school defensive player, Malone is the second Bacone player in as many years to sign with the Rams. A year ago, defensive tackle Deantre Harlan showed some promise during the preseason before failing to survive the final cut.

“We watched Deantre on TV during the preseason — he played real well — and I talked to him once he got back to school,” Malone said. “He told me this was a great organization, and I’m excited to be a part of it.”

RAM-BLINGS

Punter/kicker Michael Palardy, a University of Tennessee product who was in camp with the Oakland Raiders a year ago, took part in Saturday’s workout.

• When asked about free agent tackle Joe Barksdale, Fisher said, “Yeah, we’ve been talking to Joe. We’ve had some conversations with him.”

• The Rams are scheduled to begin organized team activities (OTAs) on June 2.