Rams rookies offer hope

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_3fb3074c-42df-547d-a354-d3a2200b6dcd.html

Initially, the Rams draft of 2015 was greeted with skepticism.

But Rams general manager Les Snead and coach Jeff Fisher came in with a plan and saw it through. And, for the most part, the Rams’ 2015 draft class delivered.

The Rams made nine selections last spring in Chicago, with seven of those players ending up on the opening-day roster. In addition, the team received contributions from a number of undrafted rookie free agents this season.

Running back Todd Gurley, whose career at the University of Georgia was cut short by knee surgery in November 2014, highlighted the 2015 class after being selected at No. 10 overall and emerging as one of the NFL’s more dynamic young players. The 6-foot-1, 227-pound Gurley sat out the preseason and the first two games of the regular season and had just 9 yards on six carries in his NFL debut.

Then he took off. Gurley put together four straight games with 125-plus yards and went on to rush for 1,106 yards and 10 touchdowns, joining Hall of Famers Eric Dickerson and Jerome Bettis as the only rookie backs in franchise history to surpass 1,000 yards.

Gurley, who sat out the regular-season finale with a toe injury, finished third in the NFL in rushing and tied for fifth in touchdowns.

“It was a good year,’’ the 21-year-old Gurley said. “The team didn’t finish as strong as we would’ve liked, but there were some positives. I don’t really do personal goals. I have to give credit to the guys up front ... the whole offense (because) those guys made it possible.’’

Tackle Rob Havenstein, the team’s second-round selection, said Gurley helped set the tone for the rookies.

He’s a heck of a player, obviously, and I think we just kind of jumped on his back at times,’’ Havenstein said. “The rest of us, I think we did a really good job of stepping up and doing what was asked of us, whether it was as starters, back-ups or on special teams.’’

Havenstein started 13 games at right tackle and did so without committing a penalty or allowing a sack this season. He joined third-round draft choice Jamon Brown, fourth-round selection Andrew Donnal, seventh-rounder Cody Wichmann and undrafted rookie free agent Darrell Williams in combining for 31 starts.

Despite the youth and injury issues along the offensive line, the Rams allowed a league-low 18 sacks — they had 47 in 2014 — and finished seventh in the NFL in rushing, averaging 122.3 yards per game.

Brown, the third-round pick, started the first nine games at guard before going down with a knee injury on an interception return against Chicago. On the same play and just a few yards away, Williams suffered a season-ending wrist injury.

Donnal, who rotated with Williams and Wichmann on special teams to start the season, made starts at left guard and right tackle before a knee injury forced him to sit out the last six games. Wichmann took over for Brown at right guard and started the season’s final seven games.

Fisher said the heavy emphasis on drafting offensive linemen had been in the works.

“Since our arrival here, we’ve been wanting to go ahead and build that offensive line through the draft,’’ Fisher said in his season-ending news conference. “We haven’t had the opportunity because of our other needs. This year, we had the opportunity. This is going to be a good group for a long time with depth.’’

Another potential contributor in that group is rookie Isaiah Battle. Selected in the supplemental draft last summer, Battle spent most of the season on the practice squad.

“I think we got a pretty good start on things,’’ Havenstein said. “We put in a lot of good work, on and off the field, and developed into a pretty close-knit bunch.’’

Linebacker Bryce Hager, the son of former Rams linebacker Britt Hager, was a seventh-round choice who finished fourth on special teams with seven tackles.

The Rams selected Bud Sasser in the sixth round, but the talented receiver from Mizzou never made it to the field because of a potentially life-threatening heart condition. The Rams allowed him to keep his signing bonus and later hired him to work with the team’s community outreach program.

Finding productive players after the draft has been a strength for the Rams under Snead and Fisher, and this year was no exception. Along with offensive lineman Williams, wide receiver Bradley Marquez and linebacker Cameron Lynch earned spots on the 53-man roster and turned out to be valuable special-teamers.

Marquez, who spent two summers playing baseball in the New York Mets’ system, led the team with 16 special-teams tackles and also had 13 catches for 88 yards as a receiver. Lynch had six special-teams tackles.

Another player of note was Matt Longacre, an undersized (6-3, 280) defensive end from Northwest Missouri State who worked his way up from the practice squad to play in five games and contribute 28 tackles, six quarterback pressures and five quarterback hits.

“Starting with rookie camp, it’s been a grind,’’ Longacre said. “But it’s also been a tremendous learning experience, one I hope to build on.’’

Other undrafted free agents who spent time on the roster this season were running back Malcolm Brown (four carries, 17 yards, one catch), cornerback Eric Patterson (one special teams tackle) and defensive tackle Louis Trinca-Pasat.

fancents86

Starter
Longacre was never talked about during the season, but he really impressed me. Took over the position well and was quite a surprise.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Quite frankly the only pick I questioned was Andrew Donnal felt that was a huge reach for a guy that really did not showcase that much in college although he did start and needed to add strength as well. IMO, they drafted Donnal for his versatility because he played all positions on the offensive line besides center, but IMO, really struggled at Guard and I feel will only be a RT going forward.

I believe that Darrell Williams and Isaiah Battle offer far more upside and would not be shocked if Donnal does not make the team next year. Cody Wichmann showcased he could handle the right guard position and going into next season would seem to be the front runner at right guard with Jamon Brown moving back to left guard.

Rob Havenstein was an excellent selection and he was everything we thought he would be and more. Consistent solid at the point of attack and did not allow a sack, in fact, when Havenstein was out the offensive line really struggled when Reynolds had to move to RT and Demetrius Rhaney was a catastrophe at left guard.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Quite frankly the only pick I questioned was Andrew Donnal felt that was a huge reach for a guy that really did not showcase that much in college although he did start and needed to add strength as well. IMO, they drafted Donnal for his versatility because he played all positions on the offensive line besides center, but IMO, really struggled at Guard and I feel will only be a RT going forward.

I believe that Darrell Williams and Isaiah Battle offer far more upside and would not be shocked if Donnal does not make the team next year. Cody Wichmann showcased he could handle the right guard position and going into next season would seem to be the front runner at right guard with Jamon Brown moving back to left guard.

Rob Havenstein was an excellent selection and he was everything we thought he would be and more. Consistent solid at the point of attack and did not allow a sack, in fact, when Havenstein was out the offensive line really struggled when Reynolds had to move to RT and Demetrius Rhaney was a catastrophe at left guard.

Of course I am rooting for the guy, but agree with your concerns on Donnal.

He kinda has that Barrett Jones spongy physique.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That lowest OL sack total in the NFL just sounds Unbelievable. It would also indicate that of the offensive players lining up in the back field RB's,HB's &TE's also did an excellent job in keeping our QB unmolested too. It might also indicate just how bad Foles & Kennum are.

For a change the OL unit in this upcoming season looks real solid form the previous 4 yrs under Fisher. The two posts of concern at this point is the OLT(Robinson/Battle/Williams) and center(Rhaney/Kush/Arkin) posts. If Tim Barnes is not resigned the OC post looks to become a nightmare with the 3 we have signed now:palm:.

Its the other 3 units on defense that has so many BIG questions & the look to cause some sizable decline in talent overall level in 2016. The defensive rookies that this article says offers hope are in reality four UDFA's/WWC's & one 7th rd draft selection.....:notsure:.

I do not understand the rookie UDFA DE Longacre undersized comment??? If Quinn is 264, Long 272,Sims 269 & Westbrook is 267 not so sure that Longacre is that undersized? He looked like a powerful run stopper @ DE to me. With so many ongoing questions now ongoing with our four DE's, Longacre would appear to be a (y)positive blessing to this Rams team this upcoming season to become an important rotational part. We never saw DT Louis Tricant Pasat :(. Longacre should look much different this upcoming late summer after Rock Gullickson :lifting: gets his hands on him for a another yr. Of all the defensive rookies Longacre looks to be the best. Hager could be a sleeper.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah I think Havenstein has pro bowls in his future. It's really impressive for a kid to come in and play like he did not to mention the lack of sacks and penalties. His overall grade as you can see with PFF is made even better when you consider he had the rotation of different players next to him which normally unsettles a rookie. The kid played like a solid veteran plain and simple.

And I am very happy with Wichmann's level of play as well. It isn't a pipe dream to expect him and Brown to be good OGs with another full camp.

Not gonna be too rough on Donnal. Most OL taken where he was need to get stronger and the way they can explode with an NFL regimen is why so many OL starters are found in mid rounds and seem to come out of nowhere as Snead mentioned.

Anyway that class overall is sick. Two great drafts in a row for Fish/Snead.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Makes me laugh thinking of all those folks that used comments from Kiper or maybe Mayock, that called Have a reach and had him as a 4th rounder and Brown as a 6th. Maybe, just maybe, the guys getting paid to do this job have a bit of a clue.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Makes me laugh thinking of all those folks that used comments from Kiper or maybe Mayock, that called Have a reach and had him as a 4th rounder and Brown as a 6th. Maybe, just maybe, the guys getting paid to do this job have a bit of a clue.

A guy's success doesnt really change whether hes a reach or not though. A reach is drafting a guy earlier than you needed to. Now whether or not other teams planned on drafting him that early or not, who knows, but regardless of how good he is he still could've been a reach.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A guy's success doesnt really change whether hes a reach or not though. A reach is drafting a guy earlier than you needed to. Now whether or not other teams planned on drafting him that early or not, who knows, but regardless of how good he is he still could've been a reach.

Well, in the 14 picks between Havenstein and the Rams' next pick, 5 offensive linemen were taken, including one pure OT. The Rams definitely had reason to think that Havenstein might be in demand. Supposedly also Tennessee had been scouting him, and they drafted early in the 3rd. They ended up taking a guard instead of a tackle, but was that because the tackle they wanted got picked a few picks earlier by the Rams?

Given Havenstein's success, and that there is evidence that he might have been gone before the Rams next pick, I think it's safe to say that he was NOT a reach. They got a good player at a position of need, at a position there was a run at shortly after the pick.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Starting and playing from day one is the expectation for round 1 players. Hstein has enormous size, excellent playing strength, and is just scratching the surface of what he will do in the NFL.

If they reloaded that draft Gurley would be top 3 and Hstein would go late round 1. Rams clearly got enormous value, talking heads had it wrong.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
This is exactly why I want fish to stay. He is building this team and adding talented players to the roster.

If Bradford and that acl didn't happen we would all be talking playoffs right now.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Well, in the 14 picks between Havenstein and the Rams' next pick, 5 offensive linemen were taken, including one pure OT. The Rams definitely had reason to think that Havenstein might be in demand. Supposedly also Tennessee had been scouting him, and they drafted early in the 3rd. They ended up taking a guard instead of a tackle, but was that because the tackle they wanted got picked a few picks earlier by the Rams?

Given Havenstein's success, and that there is evidence that he might have been gone before the Rams next pick, I think it's safe to say that he was NOT a reach. They got a good player at a position of need, at a position there was a run at shortly after the pick.

Agree 100%, but the arm chair coaches and basement GM's will never let it lie that somebody saw something they didn't and he was worth the pick. The fact that so many linemen went right after him is a testament to this. The Rams liked him and knew teams after their pick were looking at linemen. Reading draft grades given out by the so called experts the day the draft ends are just comical. You can't really judge a draft class until after the 2nd or even 3rd season. Let them play then judge.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Due to many short routes and dump offs not to mention throw a ways.

The best Olines for not giving up sacks mostly do it by getting rid of the ball quickly. That is a good strategy.

This is one of those instances where one or two posters knocks someone for mocking him high and the rest just follow suit and accept that they are wrong and he is a forth. It's tough to go against a mob.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

But because you don't know what other teams would've have done then you truly never know if he's a reach and quite frankly I don't think Havenstein was, it was reported later that many teams had rated him higher after the Senior Bowl because not one defensive end could get by him. He was one of the players that was reported who draft stock went up!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But because you don't know what other teams would've have done then you truly never know if he's a reach and quite frankly I don't think Havenstein was, it was reported later that many teams had rated him higher after the Senior Bowl because not one defensive end could get by him. He was one of the players that was reported who draft stock went up!

One thing teams do know that we don't really know is which teams show up for pro days or other prospect events AND which prospects they are paying close attention to. So for instance they would know if there is a team or multiple teams that showed a lot of interest in a player, that are drafting before their own next pick. The Rams traded down to a fairly late pick in the 2nd, but felt they couldn't go any lower and be confident they'd get the man they wanted.

jap

Legend
This is exactly why I want fish to stay. He is building this team and adding talented players to the roster.

If Bradford and that acl didn't happen we would all be talking playoffs right now.

Slight correction: we would probably have been talking playoffs three seasons ago.