Rams Rookie Review: Week 5/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams rookie review: Week 5
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/12394/rams-rookie-review-week-5

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- A look at playing time and production of each of the St. Louis Rams' drafted rookies and a quick glimpse at the undrafted rookie class in Sunday's 34-28 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.

OL Greg Robinson, first round, No. 2 overall: Other than backup quarterback Shaun Hill, Robinson played the least of any active Rams players against the Eagles. He did not appear on offense but played four snaps on special teams. After watching the offensive line's performance, it's still hard to believe that Robinson can't contribute. But it remains to be seen when he'll get his opportunity.

DT Aaron Donald, first round, No. 13 overall: Donald continues to play well in limited work, getting 26 defensive snaps and six more on special teams. In the unofficial pressbox stats, Donald was credited with one tackle, but his impact goes beyond tackles. He's one of the few defensive linemen who generates consistent pressure and has earned more playing time, though his workload against the Eagles wasn't much different than the snaps he got in the previous three games.

DB Lamarcus Joyner, second round, No. 41 overall: It continues to be tough sledding for Joyner, who will flash occasionally but seems to make a costly mistake or two every week. He finished with four tackles and made a good play for a pass defense but was at the root of the miscommunication on Jeremy Maclin's 24-yard touchdown, allowing Maclin to run down the seam for an easy score.

RB Tre Mason, third round, No. 75 overall: Once again, Mason was a pre-game inactive.

S Maurice Alexander, fourth round, No. 110 overall: Alexander was inactive in week 5.

CB E.J. Gaines, sixth round, No. 188 overall: Gaines against started at cornerback and played 73 snaps there, with six more on special teams. Gaines isn't flashy but quietly goes about his business and never looks overwhelmed. He had four tackles to go with his first career interception and a fumble recovery as he bounced back from a rocky performance against the Cowboys. It's hard to imagine the Rams simply relegating Gaines to the bench when Trumaine Johnson returns from his knee injury considering the work Gaines has done and Joyner's struggles.

C Demetrius Rhaney, seventh round, No. 250 overall: Rhaney is on injured reserve for the season with a knee injury.

Undrafted rookie roundup: Defensive lineman Ethan Westbrooks continues to get more work, playing 27 snaps and offering some more flashes that he could become a prominent contributor. He had a pair of tackles and was stout on the edge in helping the run defense improve. ... Running back Trey Watts got the first carry of the game but didn't get much work after that. He played five snaps on offense and five more on special teams, posting two carries for 6 yards and two catches for 2 yards. ... Cornerback Marcus Roberson and tight end Alex Bayer were again active and helped on special teams. Roberson played 15 snaps on special teams and Bayer got 12.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Alright. I'm gonna bite. Why on earth is Grob getting so few snaps? Has he done something wrong? Is he in the dog house? Fewest snaps of any active player bar our backup QB??

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Alright. I'm gonna bite. Why on earth is Grob getting so few snaps? Has he done something wrong? Is he in the dog house? Fewest snaps of any active player bar our backup QB??
Good Question, I'd like to know too!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Good question, I'd like to know too!!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I am on the fence on the GRob situation. On one hand, the OL has been TERRIBLE thus far this season and I kind of want to see how he would do at LT. On the other had, our OL has been TERRIBLE this season and yet he has barely been given a sniff of playing time. The last thing we need is a blundering rookie getting our undersized QB mauled any worse than he already is.....

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I am on the fence on the GRob situation. On one hand, the OL has been TERRIBLE thus far this season and I kind of want to see how he would do at LT. On the other had, our OL has been TERRIBLE this season and yet he has barely been given a sniff of playing time. The last thing we need is a blundering rookie getting our undersized QB mauled any worse than he already is.....

I get that and I was thinking along those lines - but to have the LEAST playing time out of anyone on the team??? That doesn't make much sense.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

I just can't imagine grob could be worse. if he is then yikes