Rams rookie review: Week 12/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams rookie review: Week 12
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/14014/rams-rookie-review-week-12

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- A look at playing time and production of the St. Louis Rams' rookie class in Sunday's 27-24 loss against the San Diego Chargers.

OL Greg Robinson, first round, No. 2 overall: It was a rough day for Robinson, who played all 64 offensive snaps and five more on special teams. He struggled in pass protection and picked up a couple of penalties. He was originally called out for a hands to the face penalty that wiped out a touchdown, but replays showed it was on Joe Barksdale. Either way, it certainly wasn't Robinson's best day at the office.

DT Aaron Donald, first round, No. 13 overall: Another week, another strong performance from Donald. He led all defensive linemen with 48 snaps played and had five more on special teams. He finished with four tackles, a sack, two tackles for loss and a quarterback hit. Donald now has five sacks on the season, first among all rookies, and continues to be one of the team's best players week in and week out.

DB Lamarcus Joyner, second round, No. 41 overall: Joyner did not play because of a groin injury.

RB Tre Mason, third round, No. 75 overall: Mason played half the snaps and got 16 carries for 62 yards to go with a catch that went for a gain of 26 yards. It wasn't a great day for the Rams offense as a whole but Mason had some big gains. With 32 snaps, Mason's playing time actually decreased from last week, as the Rams leaned on Benny Cunningham a little more. Cunningham played 30 snaps on offense.

S Maurice Alexander, fourth round, No. 110 overall: Alexander's role was again limited to special teams, where he played 18 snaps. After coming up with a pair of tackles there last week, he did not register a statistic against the Chargers.

CB E.J. Gaines, sixth round, No. 188 overall: Once again, Gaines was very involved, playing all 63 defensive snaps and five more on special teams. He finished with five tackles but it wasn't one of his better days overall. He was OK at best in coverage and his tackling was up to his usual standards.

C Demetrius Rhaney, seventh round, No. 250 overall: Rhaney is on injured reserve for the season with a knee injury.

Undrafted rookie roundup: Tight end Alex Bayer was active and played 16 snaps on special teams with one more on offense. ... Defensive lineman Ethan Westbrooks played 17 defensive snaps, and running back Trey Watts appeared on 20 special teams plays.

Alan

Legend
"He was OK at best in coverage and his tackling was up to his usual standards."
Is he dissing him or praising him?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
OL Greg Robinson, first round, No. 2 overall: It was a rough day for Robinson, who played all 64 offensive snaps and five more on special teams. He struggled in pass protection and picked up a couple of penalties. He was originally called out for a hands to the face penalty that wiped out a touchdown, but replays showed it was on Joe Barksdale. Either way, it certainly wasn't Robinson's best day at the office.
A BS penalty if ever I saw one!:cool:

DT Aaron Donald, first round, No. 13 overall: Another week, another strong performance from Donald. He led all defensive linemen with 48 snaps played and had five more on special teams. He finished with four tackles, a sack, two tackles for loss and a quarterback hit. Donald now has five sacks on the season, first among all rookies, and continues to be one of the team's best players week in and week out.
" He's the Man!" If Donald doesn't get D Rookie of the year I'll be surprised. And Pissed!(y)

RB Tre Mason, third round, No. 75 overall: Mason played half the snaps and got 16 carries for 62 yards to go with a catch that went for a gain of 26 yards. It wasn't a great day for the Rams offense as a whole but Mason had some big gains.
Mason should be arrested, for what he's going to do to the Raiders!:D

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
One thing I noticed when looking at the snap counts for this game is when there is 2 CB's on the field it's JJ and Gaines. And then when we have 3 CB's Gaines slides into the nickel slot. Sources have said that Gaines is less effective in the slot, which could be lack of experience in that position, he is a still a rookie. It will be interesting to see our defensive lineup once Joyner comes back. Does Joyner go back to slot? If so does Gaines get the start over Trumaine? Will we see Joyner at FS (I would like to see this)?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
One thing I noticed when looking at the snap counts for this game is when there is 2 CB's on the field it's JJ and Gaines. And then when we have 3 CB's Gaines slides into the nickel slot. Sources have said that Gaines is less effective in the slot, which could be lack of experience in that position, he is a still a rookie. It will be interesting to see our defensive lineup once Joyner comes back. Does Joyner go back to slot? If so does Gaines get the start over Trumaine? Will we see Joyner at FS (I would like to see this)?

It's weird, I've always preferred Trumaine to JJ. I think he's much more reliable.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
It's weird, I've always preferred Trumaine to JJ. I think he's much more reliable.
Almost everyone sees it that way, I don't. Trumaine appears to be more reliable in coverage, but JJ has that big play potential. Maybe that's why he's starting over Tru, or something else we (the viewers) don't see, practice, film, etc. Either way we have solid players and depth at CB.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Almost everyone sees it that way, I don't. Trumaine appears to be more reliable in coverage, but JJ has that big play potential. Maybe that's why he's starting over Tru, or something else we (the viewers) don't see, practice, film, etc. Either way we have solid players and depth at CB.

Problem with JJ is that he's the hero this week, big goat the next. True just keeps covering his man. But you're right, the secondary has gone from weakness to a strength. Who else in this league got low round value better than Gaines?

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Who else in this league got low round value better than Gaines?
No one. But everyone is gagging on the mayo of Chris Borland, LB-49ers. He's only played a handful of games, and played fairly well, and he's already been crowned a DROY candidate.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
No one. But everyone is gagging on the mayo of Chris Borland, LB-49ers. He's only played a handful of games, and played fairly well, and he's already been crowned a DROY candidate.

His main selling point is that he's not a Ram, I take it? If the season ended today, Donald should be pretty much a given for DROY, given his stats and the fact that teams have to gameplan around him just to function.

V3

Hall of Fame
A BS penalty if ever I saw one!:cool:

" He's the Man!" If Donald doesn't get D Rookie of the year I'll be surprised. And Pissed!(y)

Mason should be arrested, for what he's going to do to the Raiders!:D
It wasn't a BS penalty. Go back and watch but don't look at Barksdale. Robinson is in the background and he absolutely DOES grab the guys facemask.