Rams Rookie Preview: Cody Wichmann, Offensive Line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams Rookie Preview: Cody Wichmann, Offensive Line
by Michael Condon

http://ramblinfan.com/2015/07/05/rams-rookie-preview-cody-wichmann-offensive-line/

The St. Louis Rams continued to overhaul their offensive line well into the third day of the 2015 NFL draft when they selected offensive lineman Cody Wichmann in the sixth round, 215th overall, out of Fresno St.. Wichmann was the fourth offensive lineman drafted by the Rams this year including Rob Havenstein, Jamon Brown and Andrew Donnal. With such a glaring need at multiple positions on the line, it wasn’t surprising St. Louis went deep here.

Wichmann was selected with a compensatory pick, but still looks to have a good chance of making the roster. He was a two-time All-Mountain West honoree, including second-team honors in 2014. The year before that, he was part of a unit that allowed the sixth fewest sacks in FBS protecting current NFL quarterback Derek Carr.

Wichmann spent most of his college playing career as a right tackle or right guard, but he has been reported as saying he would like to be more diverse and play the other positions up front as well. It’s that type of versatility that will help a player like Wichmann to make the 53-man roster.

Wichmann has been praised for his durability. He started 50 games for Fresno State since 2010, that’s good enough for second most by any player in the last eight years for the Bulldogs. He is strong and has good size at 6’6″ 315 lbs. He has the ability to push the line and create holes for the running game, but he is also athletic enough to get to the outside and seal an edge. Wichmann was part of a coaching regime change during his time at Fresno State. Being successful under both head coaches says a lot about his ability to adapt and learn quickly.

As with any sixth round pick, he needs some work. He is not the quickest of linemen, and can sometimes struggle in space. He doesn’t always see a change of direction and can be caught looking if his block isn’t on time. He needs improvement as a moving piece, but can maul opponents in 1-on-1 type assignments.

Given Wichmann’s draft postion, and his below average grade as a blocker on the move he will need to impress in static/power blocking schemes. Wichmann adds depth to a growing list of players looking to fill multiple slots on the Rams offensive line. It would take quite a bit of work from Wichmann to move in to a starting position in camp, but there is no reason to believe he couldn’t contribute as a rotational player.

Alan

Legend
We might need a reliable backup at several positions on the O-line if past history is any judge. I keep thinking back to the fact that none of the backups we had last year could unseat Wells and Joseph. Especially Joseph. He's probably an upgrade.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We might need a reliable backup at several positions on the O-line if past history is any judge. I keep thinking back to the fact that none of the backups we had last year could unseat Wells and Joseph. Especially Joseph. He's probably an upgrade.

Alan, sure looks like Snead/Fisher have most all of the five OL posts in the best shape we have seen in a long ......long .....long time. I bet many teams will be keeping an eye on the Rams OL releases this pre season in order to pick up some of the Rams fat.

They have four centers in Barnes-Jones-Rhaney-Wang.

The ORG post has a cadre of six of Brown-Wichmann-Reynolds-Bond & Jones.

The OLG post could have six & looks thick & fine with Saffold-Reynold-Jones-Washington-Wang & Donnal.

The look @ Right Tackle sure has improved since last season ....appears to have six who could play there in Havenstein- Brown- Reynolds- Donnal- Baker & Wichmann.

The only lean post is OLT, where Rams Org. invested major assets in with the #2 overall selection Greg Robinson but behind him ?? maybe just two in Brandon Washington & Damian Williams.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam liking the direction:
Alan, sure looks like Snead/Fisher have most all of the five OL posts in the best shape we have seen in a long ......long .....long time.
Good evening my friend!
That's not a high bar. At the very least the depth will probably be the best its been in like forever. Let's just hope they aren't all backups. It's tough to type with all your fingers crossed.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I bet many teams will be keeping an eye on the Rams OL releases this pre season in order to pick up some of the Rams fat.

How so? The rams have likely the worst depth in the league. Not to mention 90% of the lineman have little to no experience. Most of the players on our line, that will be released, are players that other teams could have had previously. Such as Wang, Bond, and Barnes. Nobody wanted them.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It will be interesting to see if Wichman can unseat some of the previous backups. I think he is headed to the PS. He sounds like he has a lot to work on. Washington, Reynolds, and even Jones all have the advantage right now.

@BonifayRam If GRob goes down I bet Saffold is first in line to take his spot....like it or not.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
WE WANT WANG! "We" as in me. (I'm straight btw. Just felt I should probably add that. Lol)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Wichmann was very good value where they got him. He has a chance to stick, as I believe he is a little underrated. For all the knocks on him in space he is quite stout in the interior.

Won't be too much longer and we will start getting some camp reports so we can see how things are sorted on the OL thankfully. But I won't be surprised if we hear a little buzz on him when the hitting starts.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I've actually seen more of Wichmann than Brown on film...And believe this guy has starter potential...Most athletic of the new rookie bunch...

Think Brown was moved to the right side because he is a left hander...that's the hand in the dirt on the right side....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
How so? The rams have likely the worst depth in the league. Not to mention 90% of the lineman have little to no experience. Most of the players on our line, that will be released, are players that other teams could have had previously. Such as Wang, Bond, and Barnes. Nobody wanted them.

It always seem that the OL'ers have Injuries that arrive early & often through-out the NFL.

You mention that our OL is little in experience....that's why Barnes who is our 3rd most experienced OL'er will not be available for easy of the street pick up.

I feel strongly that IF OL'ers like Barrett Jones, Brandon Washington, Demetrius Rhaney or any of the FOUR 2015 drafted rookie OL'ers were to be released & hit the street .....IMO ;).......it would not be long.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It will be interesting to see if Wichman can unseat some of the previous backups. I think he is headed to the PS. He sounds like he has a lot to work on. Washington, Reynolds, and even Jones all have the advantage right now.

@BonifayRam If GRob goes down I bet Saffold is first in line to take his spot....like it or not.

Looks like a very smart move to me too. (y)

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
It always seem that the OL'ers have Injuries that arrive early & often through-out the NFL.

You mention that our OL is little in experience....that's why Barnes who is our 3rd most experienced OL'er will not be available for easy of the street pick up.

I feel strongly that IF OL'ers like Barrett Jones, Brandon Washington, Demetrius Rhaney or any of the FOUR 2015 drafted rookie OL'ers were to be released & hit the street .....IMO ;).......it would not be long.

Agreed. Though I can't see any of those hitting the market. Maybe Washington. The rest I would think have spots on lock down. The ones I can see being released, are Washington, Bond, and Wang. Not sure anyone would jump at them right away.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This draft is going to be an interesting class to watch.

No way the Rams picked BPA off their board grabbing this many lineman.

That said; I am glad they did based on the players they got. There Seems to be a lot of potential with these guys since they logged so many starts. That seems to be a part of their selection rationale.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Agreed. Though I can't see any of those hitting the market. Maybe Washington. The rest I would think have spots on lock down. The ones I can see being released, are Washington, Bond, and Wang. Not sure anyone would jump at them right away.

Being on released is not new for Travis Bond. Here's a list of what he has been doing since being drafted in 2013. However Ram Org. saw enough good to have him signed a 2 year, $1,100,000 contract with the St. Louis Rams, including an average annual salary of $550,000. Bottom line here is Bond will need to show much improvement now with all this these new Ram OL investments around him.

05/13 MIN - Draft choice signed
08/13 MIN waived after 3 months
09/13 MIN signed to RS
11/13 CAR signed away from MIN PS
05/14 CAR waived
05/14 SL w/claim from CAR
08/14 SL waived
10/14 SL Placed on PS on 9-17
12/14 SL FA for 15

2013 Guide: What Ourlads' NFL Scouting Services said about TRAVIS BOND: North Carolina, 6057 327 5.27. Two years as a full-time starter. Starting experience at both guard and tackle. Big wide bodied, long armed athlete who looks the part. Came into his own his senior year showing improvement every game. Plays square as a pass protector. Bends his knees but still punches a defender in his cage at times. Good feet and balance to mirror in pass pro. Question compete at times. Must work to stay low and to leverage targets in the run game as well as pass protection. Struggled in the Texas vs. Nation game with the edge pass rushers because of technique breakdowns(this is some of what CoachO reported he saw last TC). More of an inside player at guard. A height, weight, speed prospect with inconsistent skills.

The fact that Brandon Washington was inserted in the starting OL @ OT in the OTA's was very interesting. May mean absolutely nothing good for BW or maybe not. Its my opioion that for BW to stick here in 2015 is that he beat out all the competition to fill the Mike Person vacancy & what Person did was -back up roles to OLT/OLG post game day. BW like Bond is not new to being released. It is noteworthy that BW has been here since the 2012 season began. That's 3 full seasons under Boudreau direction. He has a serious jump on all those newcomers in knowing Boudreau.How much that's worth? Matter of many ROD members opinions

09/12 PHI waived
09/12 SL signed to PS
12/12 SL waived
10/13 SL waived off master roster
10/13 SL signed to PS
12/13 SL activated to master roster played most of the 17th game @ OLG.
08/14 SL waived
09/14 SL Signed to PS
10/14 SL activated to master roster
01/15 SL BW signed a 1 year, $585,000 contract with the St. Louis Rams, including an average annual salary of $585,000.

2012 Guide: What Ourlads' NFL Scouting Services said about BRANDON WASHINGTON: Miami, 6027 320 5.14. Junior entry. Two-year starter. Played left tackle in the fall. A zone blocker who is good initially, but is inconsistent to finish. A talented athlete who needs technique work. He played in the Astroturf NFLPA Bowl where he graded out as the top offensive lineman in the game. He demonstrated his athletic ability and position flexibility, playing both guard and tackle. Specifically, he can bend at the hips and knees, block downfield, recover and redirect his body to seal a defender. He was not in top playing shape during the week and needs to finish his blocks more consistently. Quick feet to get depth on kick step in pass protection. Runs the defensive end up the field. Buries the defender on down blocks. Can be beat inside at times by a quick spin move. A good athlete who doesn't play with a sense of urgency. Leaner and pusher, not a popper. Inconsistent to stay locked on in pass protection. Can set the edges as a tackle. Stays on his feet. Flashes the ability to road grade. Has talent as an inside player, but would like to see him spit fire.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Think Brown was moved to the right side because he is a left hander...that's the hand in the dirt on the right side....
Major edit...The Left side of the line plays with their left hand in the dirt..just saw a photo of G-Rob...Left hand down...Lets flip this, I THINK they put him (Brown) on the right side so his left hand will be free, he is left handed....LOL:sneaky::);):D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@BonifayRam
Just was thinking about the experience factor....Bond & Washington versus the type of players they drafted...I don't know...Are the new rookies smarter, will they pick up the system sooner? I think your point & @Alan will be revealed in camp ahead...I see Bond, Washington, and other "Vets" (although no real game experience) being released, and not being re-signed....At least not soon.....

oh yea, put your monster links in a cute little bundle...like this (CLICK ME)

or this:
View: https://youtu.be/w1FLZPFI3jc

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
For us fans not in the know I think our read on the line will sort itself out really quickly once camp starts. Saffold at RG and G-Rob at LT should be expected and Havenstein initially is set at RT but I am still not sure if Browns begin camp as the starting RG ahead of Reynolds and I only have opinions but no true read on how the center rotation shakes out. I think center will take the most time to sort itself out plus I will be curious to see if the center candidates get significant reps at the backup guard spots.

If Bond or Washington start out with the third team that probably does not bode well for them making the team. From my outside perspective there are lot guys on the bubble for the offensive line but realistically there are probably only 1 or 2 roster spots actually up for grabs.

Secure:
Robinson
Saffold
Reynolds
Havenstein
Brown
Donnal?

Bubble (Choose 3 to make it)
Jones/Rhaney/Barnes
Washington
Wichmann
Bond

Outside looking in
Williams
Baker
Wang

Unfortunately there will probably be a few injuries that occur to mix things up but hopefully this younger group will prove to be a healthier lot than the vets that were let go.

Note: One thing I really commend the Rams for in this rebuild is that I see a lot of positional versatility in this group that they have assembled.

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
LACHAMP46 weighing other factors:
Just was thinking about the experience factor....Bond & Washington versus the type of players they drafted...I don't know...Are the new rookies smarter, will they pick up the system sooner? I think your point & @Alan will be revealed in camp ahead...I see Bond, Washington, and other "Vets" (although no real game experience) being released, and not being re-signed....At least not soon.....
Experience is certainly a plus in any battle to compete for a spot on our final 53. Especially when rookies are still thinking instead of just reacting. A huge experience gap might make a player with lesser ability look better than a player with more ability but lesser experience. I'm not sure how evaluators compensate for that but that paradigm is in play every year and I think they probably get it right most of the time. But who knows? That might be part of the reason why a player sometimes does better when he goes to a new team. Let's hope Bou gets it right.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Bubble (Choose 3 to make it)
Jones/Rhaney/Barnes
Washington
Wichmann
Bond
I keep wondering, is making the PS, making the team? IMO, kinda...I don't see Wichmann or Rhaney getting cut...PS at the least...Williams from SFU & Baker possible PS candidates as well...Jones is no way on the bubble, neither is Barnes, due to the supposed fact that they can also play another position...Bond & Washington... are in trouble. 3 years, and no game experience really. If they don't resemble NFL players in preseason, opening HUGE holes, and giving Keenum, Davis & Mannion time to throw, they'll be cut at the first opportunity...what is it 90 to 75? ...