Rams rookie Mason awaits chance to shine/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams rookie Mason awaits chance to shine
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_b620c88f-a478-563b-8b06-4fb81a480a7c.html

If anybody can relate to Rams rookie running back Tre Mason and the slow start to his NFL career, it’s teammate Zac Stacy.

Stacy, the only player in Vanderbilt history to rush for 1,000 yards in a season twice, was selected by the Rams in the fifth round of the 2013 NFL draft and led the team in rushing (973 yards) and touchdowns (eight) as a rookie last year.

But the 5-foot-9, 224-pound Stacy didn’t see any real playing time until after Week 5, when he ran 14 times for 78 yards in a 34-20 win over the visiting Jacksonville Jaguars.

Through the first four games, Stacy had one 4-yard carry and was inactive twice.

“It’s frustrating, not getting to play and contribute, but it’s something a lot of guys have to deal with at this level,” said Stacy, 23. “I pretty much just played the waiting game early last year. But through that time, I kept working to get better mentally and physically. Then, when I got my opportunity, I was able to take advantage of it.”

Selected in the third round of the NFL draft in May, Mason joined the Rams heralded as an elusive back who could complement Stacy and fellow second-year pro Benny Cunningham. As a junior at Auburn University last fall, Mason was named a Heisman Trophy finalist after rushing for 1,816 yards to surpass Bo Jackson as Auburn’s single-season rushing leader. In addition, he averaged better than 26 yards per kickoff return, scored 25 touchdowns and played an integral role in the Tigers reaching the BCS title game.

After Mason’s 37-yard touchdown run put Auburn on top 31-27 with 1:19 to play, Florida State rallied to win 34-31 and capture the championship on a touchdown pass with 13 seconds left on the clock. Mason finished the game with 195 yards on 34 carries.

The 5-foot-8, 207-pound Mason led the Rams in the preseason with 124 yards rushing but was inactive in each of the team’s opening three games.

“It’s a little frustrating, sure, but God has a plan,” said Mason, who celebrated his 21st birthday in August. “He has the story written already, so I’m just going to continue to do whatever the coaches ask me to do. All I can do is make sure that I’m working hard and giving it everything I have every day in practice.”

Mason admits to being surprised when he learned he was a healthy scratch for the Rams’ season-opener against the Minnesota Vikings. When he arrived at Rams Park the next day, he made an early visit to the office of special teams coordinator John Fassel.

“I just wanted to know if I was doing something wrong and if so, what could I do to fix the problem,” Mason said following a practice later that week.

“I can understand Tre’s pain, and I’ve told him to use my experience as an example,” Stacy said. “When we talked, the one thing I told him was to keep working to get better. It’s one of those deals where you have to use the time to become a student of the game, to learn the finer points of the playbook and then try to take advantage of each and every opportunity.

“There are plenty of guys who’d love to be in our shoes right now, so you have to try and make the most of every day you’re in this league.”

Mason said that in his conversations with Stacy and other Rams’ players, the key word to their advice is patience.

“This is a process, and every time you move from one level of football to the next, there’s a period of adjustment,” he said. “You can’t pout or get down on yourself. You just have to fight through those feelings by working every day to make sure that when your name is called, you’re ready to make the most of the opportunity.”

With the Rams on a bye week — they return to action Sunday, Oct. 5 against the Eagles in Philadelphia — coach Jeff Fisher used practice time on Wednesday and Thursday this week to get some of the younger players some additional reps. In fact, Fisher mentioned Mason by name twice this week when talking about the team’s practice plans.

On Monday, the coach said, “Got to get Tre Mason involved, not only more in the offense, but also more on special teams.”

After Wednesday’s workout, Fisher said, “We’re working him in. He’s doing a nice job on special teams right now, so he’s got a pretty good feel for what we’re doing.”

The biggest adjustment for Mason, like a lot of young backs coming out of college, is pass protection. Adding to that adjustment is the fact that Mason is the product of an Auburn offense that ran the ball better than 72 percent of the time last season.

“Really, I’m trying to work and improve on everything,” he said. “My goal is to find at least one thing in my game to work and improve on in each practice.

“The only other time I experienced anything like this was my freshman year at Auburn. I didn’t play much early, but I started coming on week by week and eventually worked my way into the offensive game plan.

“God willing, I can do the same thing here.”