Rams rookie LB Clay Johnston hunting for starting role

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Rams rookie LB Clay Johnston hunting for starting role
Bret Stuter

It’s safe to say that the LA Rams are only guessing when it comes to the depth chart at the inside linebacker role. After all, the current projections for the players to start the season at the inside linebacker position are based on the intent to start one player a year ago before an injury derailed his opportunity and a player who saw some spot starter duty on another NFL team. Beyond those two, the Rams have players who saw some action in 2019, and others who remained on the bench awaiting the chance to hear their number called.

But no clear-cut favorite.

That’s all just fine for rookie linebacker Clay Johnston. After all, the 6-foot-1 227-pound linebacker out of Baylor University is always ready for good competition. Right now, the Rams are full of competition, and all aimed at finding the players who can fill the team’s needs at the interior linebacking role. While Johnston is new to the NFL, he’s an old-hand at the linebacker position.

Winning takes work

Johnston is more than another linebacker who is looking for work on the roster. He is one of the key reasons why the Baylor Bears had so much success in recent years. He played 35 games in four seasons and had 237 tackles, 26.5 tackles for losses, 4.5 sacks, and two interceptions. If he had a history of remaining healthy, he would have likely been a second or third-round selection in the 2020 NFL Draft. He had solid production against great competition. He is a true field general on defense.

View: https://twitter.com/schaufds/status/1255295647705686016?s=21

Clay Johnston simply needed an opportunity to play, while the LA Rams simply needed a player with a high ceiling to fill the need.

Fate played a hand

But he has suffered two knee injuries, and that was enough to flag his draft profile with medical concerns in a season where medical concerns were impossible to clear up. Was that a bad thing or a good thing? Only time will tell. What we do know is that everything that happened resulted in a player with a great understanding of the position and a high ceiling has ended up playing for a coach who has developed some outstanding linebackers with similar characteristics.

While the fastest track to earning a roster spot is excelling on special teams, it’s not the sole route. Keep in mind that Clay Johnston’s father is an NFL strength and conditioning coach. That’s vital information in light of the work Johnston has done to restore himself to game-playing shape after two knee injuries. In many ways, the NFL comes at you fast, particularly as an NFL rookie. But Clay Johnston is quite familiar with life in the NFL and will arrive as wide-eyed as many rookie teammates. He’ll need to show up and play hard. But he is already doing that.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Like Terrell Lewis, I am very excited about the drafting of Clay Johnston and like Terrell Lewis, I think Clay Johnston can be a great addition to the Rams Defense IF he can just stay Healthy!!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Like Terrell Lewis, I am very excited about the drafting of Clay Johnston and like Terrell Lewis, I think Clay Johnston can be a great addition to the Rams Defense IF he can just stay Healthy!!!

The 2 rookies are totally different players though.
The other Rookie Terrell is more like Clay.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
In my 40+ years of Ram fandom, I have never believed in a Ram GM the way I believe in Mr Snead.
Les, thank you for giving this Blue and Gold bleeding old man the ability to have faith in the
direction our team is heading.
No GM is perfect, but I will take our Gunslinger of a GM over any other in the league.

View: https://youtu.be/D4CMy2oanjQ

Love the way this young man brings it. Here's to his health.
Because if he can stay healthy, he is going the fear of going across the middle
back in LA. Welcome to the Rams "lil Hacksaw"

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm not as sold on Snead as most of the faithful, in fact I feel like this draft could cost him his job if they don't help get this team back to contender status.

But I do like the way he used the Rams' late round picks this year to find potential starters at two of our weakest positions (OL & ILB). Both Johnston and Anchrum have real shots to make this team and get playing time which isn't always the case in those rounds. Of course the problem is waiting until that point to address those two needs. And we all have a basic understanding of the why this draft went down how it did btw, but fact is those two positions still have the potential to limit the team's ceiling.

And I like the draft overall of course as well. It looks like a really good group, so here's hoping it ends up being one of those rare drafts that can open the window for playoff games and maybe even a championship. For that to happen we'll need big impact from Jefferson & Akers as well as two or three of these guys developing into good starters, but again it's impossible for me to find fault with those two late round additions pretty fucking happy with both.

Johnston is my kind of backer. He's a fucking throwback. So I hope the guy can stay healthy.

Ram65

Legend
Something about this kid Clay Johnston that I not only think he will make the team but, think he has a chance to see playing time. Seems to have good instincts, strong legs and hands. ST can use this guy.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
See him as ST for most of year 1. Will be hard to keep him out of starting defense thereafter.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
In my 40+ years of Ram fandom, I have never believed in a Ram GM the way I believe in Mr Snead.
Les, thank you for giving this Blue and Gold bleeding old man the ability to have faith in the
direction our team is heading.
No GM is perfect, but I will take our Gunslinger of a GM over any other in the league.

View: https://youtu.be/D4CMy2oanjQ

Love the way this young man brings it. Here's to his health.
Because if he can stay healthy, he is going the fear of going across the middle
back in LA. Welcome to the Rams "lil Hacksaw"

I actually see more of a London Fletcher type ? Smaller MLB that went undradted. The Rams traded back for a kicker & Johnston as well.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm not as sold on Snead as most of the faithful, in fact I feel like this draft could cost him his job if they don't help get this team back to contender status.

But I do like the way he used the Rams' late round picks this year to find potential starters at two of our weakest positions (OL & ILB). Both Johnston and Anchrum have real shots to make this team and get playing time which isn't always the case in those rounds. Of course the problem is waiting until that point to address those two needs. And we all have a basic understanding of the why this draft went down how it did btw, but fact is those two positions still have the potential to limit the team's ceiling.

And I like the draft overall of course as well. It looks like a really good group, so here's hoping it ends up being one of those rare drafts that can open the window for playoff games and maybe even a championship. For that to happen we'll need big impact from Jefferson & Akers as well as two or three of these guys developing into good starters, but again it's impossible for me to find fault with those two late round additions pretty fucking happy with both.

Johnston is my kind of backer. He's a fucking throwback. So I hope the guy can stay healthy.

I’m sure you were a big fan of 2018 & not so much 2017 after each draft.

2019 is the key to The Rams making the playoffs imho.

2nd yr 2017 was key to SuperBowl
2nd yr 2018 class was a basic BUST
2nd yr 2019 is set to be pretty good.
2020 reminds me of 2017

Oko & #69 should be fun watch. Kiser might be the most important player from 2017 ?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I wish he was bigger, but his tape is incredible. He reads and reacts insanely fast, And is a solid tackler. Little worried about him dropping his head, when tackling. Injury history sucks. The kid can play though, fingers crossed, we need to get some good LB play. I think TFL’s are a good indicator, of future success, and he had a good number of them.

He is a very unique, interesting kid, also. Easy to root for.

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
"Matt Miller
Johnston's sheer desire and competitive toughness fuels his success. Multiple injuries didn't stop him from playing college football for a major program. However, the NFL is a different animal. Regardless of whether Johnston's lack of elite athleticism is a result of injuries or maxed-out genetic traits, linebackers today must be able to run faster and cover more sideline-to-sideline range. However, it wouldn't be a surprise to see Johnston stick in the NFL for a decade as a core special teams player and spot starter. "

I don't often agree with Matt Miller but in this I do. Don't get me wrong I like Clay Johnston and like Miller, I can see him sticking around for a while on STs and as a backup level player. But his overall lack of athleticism is of concern. This team has made a big push to become faster and more athletic at all positions, especially LB. Clay simply has marginal physical metrics that like it or not will limit his ability to play at this level. Like most players taken in the late rounds, he must impress on STs to make this roster and is likely headed to the PS if he doesn't. That would not be a bad thing for him. He's going to need to improve his technique and hit the training room hard.

Johnston is a fan favorite I get that. But there is a numbers game that must be accounted for. Is he better than Troy Reeder who is bigger and faster? Reeder spent his rookie year strengthening and bulking up and I can easily see that same pathway for Johnston. I don't see any way he beats out Kiser for the start at MIKE. For players that lack the overall athleticism that a team may want at a position, fast play recognition is key to these players to allow them to play faster without guessing. That is a learned skill and only comes with practice and film work.

Give Clay a year to train, study and practice and let's see where he's at this time next year. He will also be facing tough competition from Christian Rozeboom who has the speed lacking in Johnston and showed coverage ability as well. IMO Rozeboom might have enough to take Reeder's roster spot. But with the truncated season that will be hard to do for the UDFA rookie who IMO is likely headed to the PS for a year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Johnston is a fan favorite I get that. But there is a numbers game that must be accounted for.
I doubt breaking into our ILB room will be difficult for him. Rams have one of the worst ILB groups in the league. So this guy has a chance if he comes in and learns quickly. That's the key for him, that and staying healthy.

Also his size (seen that mentioned a bit above) is about right for an ILB in today's league. His athleticism is fine too. Most ILBs in this league aren't much to write home about in their size or athleticism, in fact it's how they end up on the inside in the first place at the college level. The better athletes become SS, Edge, etc as they transition to the higher level of play.

He does need to work on his coverage. But most of these types do. The guys who move well and can rack 'n stack vs the run are almost always off the board by the end of round 2. Also wrt Johnston one thing he does add in coverage is an ability to make dudes think twice about going across the middle in the pattern. Because he is a natural hitter. You can't teach guys to have that extra oomph he brings, some guys just have it.

When Littleton was added we knew his strengths and weaknesses. This guy is similar to me in that way. He's a different type of backer, but he fits that Fangio ILB style and as he's learning should be able to help us on teams. Win win IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My guess on the roster is we keep 4...

1. Kiser (he gets first shot at the 3 down job).
2. Reeder (showed some good things needs to improve).
3. Howard (he's the Littleton/SS type in this group).
4. Johnston (he has to show well on special teams at a minimum to stick).
5. Rozeboom (same as Johnston will need to show on teams).

Young hasn't showed a thing so no reason to see him helping us. Patrick has only flashed on the edge so I think that's where he needs to compete. This is not a great group by any stretch. If we're lucky we'll see maybe one of them step up and give us a solid 3 down player. Barring that it's going to be sub city with the safeties filling in more than ideal.

oldnotdead

Legend
Wade never played Young instead he tried to use Reeder who played poorly because of how he was used. So to say Young hasn't shown anything isn't really accurate. I can't believe that a guy that played 36% of defensive snaps in 2018 had 51 combined tackles, 2.5 sacks, 13 QB pressures, and one pass defense hasn't shown anything. That was the biggest criticism of Wade is not playing his young guys. He loved the old washed up guys like Mathews and Weddle. He played Clay Mathews ahead of Ebukam (sending him to the bench!!). Ebukam is a legit proven impact player. So just because Young wasn't a Wade favorite doesn't mean he can't play. His time in Baltimore says differently. In fact, Young is the most experienced of all the ILBs.

Kiser, Young, and Howard are the core of the ILBs IMO. Reeder looked like a 2 down ILB last year. Not a bad thing but definitely needs work. Both Snead and McVay targeted the acquisition of Young. He was not an afterthought. It has been reported that Peter's trade doesn't happen without Young. I trust they see something in him as they saw in Corbett who has shown himself to be the best OG they have right now.

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.