Rams rookie coach Sean McVay is not doing this alone

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zero

Pro Bowler
LOS ANGELES -- Sean McVay has spent a significant portion of his first three months as an NFL head coach seeking out advice. And one of his central guides has been Adam Gase, fresh off a successful first season guiding the Miami Dolphins. McVay and Gase were part of a group of young, offensive-minded coaches who clung together at the major offseason events. At the scouting combine, you would usually find them huddled near the end zone, often-times listening to long-time coach Clyde Christensen tell stories about Peyton Manning.

"Some guys have gone on to college, some guys have stayed in the pros," Gase said. "There's a good group of us that have hung around long enough to where we became coordinators and head coaches."

as McVay intends to do. "I'm probably not the only one that he's talked to. He's probably combed most of the league trying to figure out what's the best way to go about this first year. You have to learn on the fly a little bit. The fact that he's doing that (seeking advice) is going to give him a little bit more of an advantage than probably a couple of us had last year.”

McVay was influenced mostly by the two Grudens, Jon and Jay, and the two Shanahans, Mike and Kyle.

During the NFL owners meetings this week, he began to pick everyone else's brain.

McVay sat down with Atlanta Falcons coach Dan Quinn to ask him about how he handled his first team meeting. He bumped into Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh at check-in, walked the halls with Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Dirk Koetter, chatted with New Orleans Saints coach Asshole Face and got a chance to learn from Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, a man whose distinctive presence he admires.
upload_2017-3-31_17-51-20.png

"This is probably the first time that it's starting to kind of set in, what a unique experience it is," McVay told the assembled media during breakfast on Wednesday, his final day at his first owners meetings. "You actually slow down a little bit when you come to these, as opposed to how fast things are going back in L.A. and trying to get everything settled and situated. What a unique thing and what a refreshing experience it has been with how willing everyone has been to share.”

McVay's first on-the-job learning came long before that, from Wade Phillips, his 69-year-old defensive coordinator. The Rams will begin their voluntary offseason program on April 10, and McVay planned on meeting with the entire team for about half an hour at the start of each week. But then Phillips approached him and suggested meeting with the entire team each day, so that everyone feels connected.

They'll do that now.

"He's got a subtle way about just what he picks up on and what he notices, just those fundamental things," McVay said of Phillips. "You quickly realize why he's such a good coach. I know I'm going to learn a lot from him. "

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...okie-coach-sean-mcvay-is-not-doing-this-alone

Zero

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know he hasn't coached a single game as a head coach,but
he just seems to go about things the right way.

I get the feeling that this guy is going to be coaching the
Rams for quite a while.Winning coaches tend to stick around.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McVay is a networkin MFer, I'll say that. And it's going to help him out when his assistants start getting promoted and he's gotta find replacements lol.

Jesus I can't wait to attend camp. It's gonna be fun.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
McVay is a networkin MFer, I'll say that. And it's going to help him out when his assistants start getting promoted and he's gotta find replacements lol.

It will be interesting to see the difference the way practice is run .

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I plan on going to Cal. Luth. as often as possible!!(y);):D

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
The way he communicates, he can make calculus look like basic algebra. Hopefully his demeanor translates into wins in game days.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Smart thinking Merlin

Zero

Pro Bowler
The way he communicates, he can make calculus look like basic algebra. his demeanor will translate into wins on game days.
There you go Ybra,fixed your typo

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
The way he communicates, he can make calculus look like basic algebra. Hopefully his demeanor translates into wins in game days.
Really liked your analogy man, I get that same feeling as well.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
I hope so. Besides opening home game against Seattle, I didn't get to taste victory at the colesium lol.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'll be the first to say this: with a good draft, I think that we're going to the playoffs in McVay's first year. If Gase can do it, so too can McVay.

Zero

Pro Bowler
I'll be the first to say this: with a good draft, I think that we're going to the playoffs in McVay's first year. If Gase can do it, so too can McVay.
I hear you Memento.Throw it out there my friend.
I will second that.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Calculus wasn't that hard to understand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Right now the only advice I have for Sean McVay is to don an undershirt and if you don't want it to show go with a V-Neck....Controls the perspiration as well and just gives off a better appearance.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I can't wait to see these Rams compete on the offensive side of the ball. turn the D over to an experienced, proven Wade and focus on the O. can't wait!