Rams rookie Christian Bryant: 'I was definitely a steal in this draft'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams rookie Bryant: 'I was definitely a steal in this draft'
By Nate Latsch

http://msn.foxsports.com/midwest/st...i-was-definitely-a-steal-in-this-draft-052714

Christian Bryant knows it's impossible to say how the NFL Draft would have unfolded had he not suffered a season-ending injury early last fall. But of this much he's sure: He wouldn't have lasted until the seventh round.

"I feel like if I wouldn't have got injured this year, it probably would have been a whole different story going into the draft," he said. "But there's certain things in life that you can't control and God has a plan for you."

Bryant broke his fibula and dislocated his ankle in a Sept. 28 win against Wisconsin. The Ohio State safety missed the final nine games of his senior season, forcing him to watch from the sideline as the undefeated and second-ranked Buckeyes lost their final two games.

Bryant requested a medical hardship to play another year of college football, but the NCAA said no. And so he entered the draft with little to show for his final collegiate season -- not an ideal audition for a career when you're already undersized at 5 feet 10, 193 pounds.

And so it was that 240 players were selected before the Rams tabbed him late in Round 7.

"It's been tough, I feel like, just because just this whole year has kind of been a struggle with first the injury, and then I just know that going into the draft it was going to be a struggle with someone eventually picking me up," Bryant said minutes after St. Louis selected him. "I waited it out and I'm just happy to be a St. Louis Ram right now."

Bryant was the fourth defensive back the Rams picked, following Lamarcus Joyner (second round), Maurice Alexander (fourth) and E.J. Gaines (sixth). He will face a challenge to earn a roster spot in a secondary that returns four starters.

But the Rams obviously saw something they liked.

"He's a good little football player," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said after the draft.

Bryant said he was surprised to be picked by the Rams, but maybe he shouldn't have been. He had a one-on-one conversation with Fisher following his April 30 pro day at Ohio State.

"We were sitting there in the hallway," Bryant said. "We talked for about six or seven minutes. He was just telling me little things like he liked my game. And he told me the second-best thing in life behind having a child is getting a call from an NFL team telling you you're part of that organization."

The next time Bryant and Fisher spoke, Bryant had just found out that the Rams were going to pick him. It was a dream come true for a player who had encountered some rather large obstacles and was just hoping for a shot. But at the same time, he believes his talent merited a higher selection.

"I feel like I was definitely a steal in this draft," he said, "because I know my talents and I know exactly what I can do on the football field."

A few days after the draft, Bryant was in St. Louis with the rest of his new teammates. Not long after that, he was out on the field with the rest of the Rams' rookies -- he started out wearing No. 42 but was changed to No. 26 after running back Daryl Richardson was released -- and then going through offseason workouts with the team's veterans.

Bryant already had a supporter in another Buckeye. That would be middle linebacker James Laurinaitis, who already knew Bryant and had talked to OSU defensive coordinator Luke Fickell about him.

"I know Christian Bryant, and talking to the defensive coordinator at Ohio State, we're still friends from when I played there," Laurinaitis said. "He said when Christian went down, he thought that their defense lost their heartbeat and that he was the toughest guy that maybe he's ever coached."

He'll need that toughness to pull off his uphill pursuit of an NFL career.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I hope he is right, the rams can use as many good players in the secondary as they can get.

F. Mulder

Starter
He is one of the guys I'm most excited about seeing and reading about in preseason. Each year I pick a few players who are late rounders or UDFAs and focus/"root"? for them. He is one of them.

rdw

Pro Bowler
Disclaimer: I'm a glass 3/4 full guy.

I believe this draft will go down as one of our greatest! When do OTA's start?!

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I admittedly know next to nothing about Christian Bryant. The player will tell you one thing, but where was he projected to go in this draft before the injury? From what I understand he still would've been a Day 3 pick.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A steal in the secondary would be a nice surprise.

Sounds like we have a very motivated player on our hands. Awesome!

nighttrain

Legend
He is one of the guys I'm most excited about seeing and reading about in preseason. Each year I pick a few players who are late rounders or UDFAs and focus/"root"? for them. He is one of them.
Quite right Mr Moulder, Rams cannot have enough competion at safety, and we need players that can come up in the box, and stilll fall back in open field position, as in CF
train
ps; still hoping Cody Davis can in this job after 12 games on roster

BeerOClock

Rookie
Maybe it's me, but shouldn't the guy do something on the field before blowing his trumpet?

It's great to have confidence, but maybe waiting before you make a great play or two before making these kinds of statements.

That said, he did do a good job at OSU. Hope he's right.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Anyone remember Johnny Barefield Cards second round draft choice ? Showed up for the first press conference with a quarter in his ears said he was the 25th wonder of the world,I wondered way more than 25 times why they drafted him,dumb as rocks and a penalty machine.

I consider humility to be the greatest indicator of confidence there is.