Rams rookie CB McGee out to make an impression

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nighttrain

Legend
The Associated Press
<a class="postlink" href="http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rams-rookie-cb-mcgee-impression-200644547--nfl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rams-rooki ... --nfl.html</a>

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- About the only surprise St. Louis Rams rookie Brandon McGee experienced since finishing his college career at Miami came during the three-day NFL draft.

The cornerback heard from enough people he should expect to be taken on the second day, in either the second or third rounds. After no team selected him, McGee blew off some steam on the fields he grew up playing.

''It was like adding fuel to the fire, honestly,'' he said Saturday, the final day of the team's rookie minicamp. ''I actually grabbed my cleats and went to the field. I was kind of frustrated with everything and just went and worked out. It kind of just gave me the opportunity to vent.

''But the Rams called me the very next day and it's a great situation. I'm happy to be a Ram.''

McGee, selected in the fifth round by St. Louis, joined the Rams other draft choices, their rookie free-agent signees and 27 tryout players at the two-day rookie minicamp at the team's practice facility.

He's coming off a four-year career at Miami, where he started his final 24 games. He intercepted three passes, including two his senior season during which he served as one of the Hurricanes' captains.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher said McGee obviously impressed the team's staff enough on film to get drafted. What he showed on the field during minicamp has supported that decision.

''Brandon is a smart young man,'' Fisher said. ''He's got speed, got good size, can change direction and we're seeing the kind of things that we saw on tape. He's playing a couple of positions already in just a couple of days.''

McGee worked out at both safety and in the nickel package for the Rams, the same positions he played in college. He said nothing the coaches have asked of him thus far proved overly challenging and that he felt comfortable with the transition.

He also got a chance to go against Tavon Austin, the eighth overall pick in the draft.

While he faced plenty of talented wide receivers at Miami, going against Austin provided a preview of what the NFL might be like.

''He's a really shifty guy, he's really quick,'' McGee said. ''He's good competition. It prepares me and it prepares him as well for some of the things I'll see on Sunday.''

McGee also broke up a few passes intended for Austin.

The transition to the NFL has proven relatively smooth so far, McGee said, but learning the new terminology is a bit tricky.

McGee said he's not concerned, though. He's had the playbook -- delivered on an iPad, which he said was the best thing the Rams provided since they drafted him -- long enough to get a grasp of the system.

He said knowing the system and translating that on the field is all that matters, regardless if he was a first-round pick or the 149th overall selection where the Rams grabbed him.

''I got a lot of third-round projections going into the draft, so that's where I thought I'd land,'' he said. ''But everything happens according to God's plan. So, I'm not mad at the way things fell out. I fell into a great situation, great program, great coaches. I'm looking forward to moving forward.''

Interesting that he's been working out at safety, doesn't really have the size for it, but hey, never hurts to try out a talented player at a position of need.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
The English Ram said:
Interesting that he's been working out at safety, doesn't really have the size for it, but hey, never hurts to try out a talented player at a position of need.

That is interesting.

A move to FS would cover up some of his weaknesses. He has been cited for struggling in his back peddle(leaning back to far), and for initiating to much contact down field when playing man defense.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Fishers only selected corner Brandon McGee in this yrs draft is to replace Bradley Fletcher...Fletcher had issues with the inside slot type receivers a lot in 2012. As the season went on Cortland Finnegan wore down and came up with on going nagging smaller injuries late in the season the secondary really had its issues.

The two up close starting in the box type safeties Mikell & Dahl were not capable of covering the slots. TJ & JJ were primarily used on the outside....Fisher's secondary just did not have a corner to back up the Fishers special CF position in 2012. I am sure it really caused Fisher fits in calling the needed defenses when playing the two late season losses to the Buc's & Seahawks.

Like I said Bradley Fletcher after those two major multiple ligament tears in previous seasons ....made him much less quicker so he was not the answer... The rookie TJ with his size 6-2 210 was much better playing the outside so all they had was UDFA Pointer who had very little experience playing the Nickle (Did you notice Fisher changes Pointer's from CB to FS)?.........Thus they were forced to play an unhealthy ex college free safety now CB Finnegan.... Rams past starter Bradley Fletcher is let go....now we see that Fishers first opportunity to draft a CB is immediately put to work in the position of the Nickel & deep safety action...Not a real surprise. McGee is simular to the size of CF ...is 5-11 193 and CF is 5-10 188 pounds.

I will also be looking to hear how well CB UDFA 6-1 195 pound Robert Steeples does in the mini camp. With that size he would seem to be an good candidate to be the back up to either outside corner (TJ & JJ) in the Nickle defense, making him the 5th corner with McGee being the 4th.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
RamsNation said:
We beat the Bucs...

I guess I was still ticked off about the Rams losing to the Bucs in 2011, thanks for the correction! The 2012 game was not even a game we won big! I love it when you hang out with bonified Ram fans who know their team!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
BonifayRam said:
I will also be looking to hear how well CB UDFA 6-1 195 pound Robert Steeples does in the mini camp. With that size he would seem to be an good candidate to be the back up to either outside corner (TJ & JJ) in the Nickle defense, making him the 5th corner with McGee being the 4th.

WOW! That was so on point I almost can't respond to it. :ww: Agree on Steeples because he's perfect fit for the outside. I could see the Rams adding a veteran here, but IMO Fisher likes to be young in the secondary to coach them his way and McGee & Steeples as well could make an impact in 2013.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Our regime does a good job getting value out of the later rounds and UDFA.

Previously, we stood little chance late in the draft.

lockdnram21

Legend
libertadrocks said:
The English Ram said:

That is interesting.

A move to FS would cover up some of his weaknesses. He has been cited for struggling in his back peddle(leaning back to far), and for initiating to much contact down field when playing man defense.

Hes the same height as ed reed and only 15 pounds lighter. So if he bulks up a little he will be alright. And oh yea hes faster then ed reed, just hope he can patrol the back end like reed.

nighttrain

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CGI_Ram said:
Our regime does a good job getting value out of the later rounds and UDFA.

Previously, we stood little chance late in the draft.
Previous regimes had a difficult time getting value after the first round, no chance at all in the 5-7 rounds. UDRA's ? forgetaboutit
:cheese:
train