Rams restructure C Long's deal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Hope the thread title isn't misleading. This was a very minor adjustment to free up just a couple hundred thousand. The interest to me was that the Rams were so close up under the cap (17K!). I knew they were close but not that close!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...n-cap-bind-rams-restructured-chris-longs-deal

NFL teams generally want to have a few hundred thousand dollars in cap space available this time of year, if not more. The Rams were down to just $17,000 in cap space the last few weeks, prior to restructuring star passer rusher Chris Long's deal, according to league sources.
The Rams moved $200,000 in Long's salary to 2014, creating $200,000 of space this season. It's rare for a team to be that close under the cap as an injury or two could put them in jeopardy of going over the cap, but this latest fiscal transaction, given how late in the season we are, likely precludes any sort of issues for the team.
For more on the Rams, you can read my story about how they may handle Sam Bradford's situation in the offseason.
For more news and notes from Jason La Canfora, tune into The NFL Today Sunday at noon ET on CBS.

Alan

Legend
I wonder if the fact that they chose Long's contract says something about the other possibilities? You don't restructure someone you think you're gonna release.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yep they sure did not go to Cortland Finnegan for some extra cash did they. Like I said Friday the Chris Long contract is like an emergency piggy bank under the bed.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Hope the thread title isn't misleading. This was a very minor adjustment to free up just a couple hundred thousand. The interest to me was that the Rams were so close up under the cap (17K!). I knew they were close but not that close!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...n-cap-bind-rams-restructured-chris-longs-deal

NFL teams generally want to have a few hundred thousand dollars in cap space available this time of year, if not more. The Rams were down to just $17,000 in cap space the last few weeks, prior to restructuring star passer rusher Chris Long's deal, according to league sources.
The Rams moved $200,000 in Long's salary to 2014, creating $200,000 of space this season. It's rare for a team to be that close under the cap as an injury or two could put them in jeopardy of going over the cap, but this latest fiscal transaction, given how late in the season we are, likely precludes any sort of issues for the team.
For more on the Rams, you can read my story about how they may handle Sam Bradford's situation in the offseason.
For more news and notes from Jason La Canfora, tune into The NFL Today Sunday at noon ET on CBS.

I think this is a good deal.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Long ain't going anywhere, even if we luck into Clowney.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Just scares the hell out of me for us to be so close to the with the youngest team in the NFL. What happens when these guys start becoming superstars? We won't be able to keep them I fear.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Good move, not sure how necessary it was with just three games left but they get paid to know more than me:omg:

jap

Legend
Just scares the hell out of me for us to be so close to the with the youngest team in the NFL. What happens when these guys start becoming superstars? We won't be able to keep them I fear.

It's just like with any other team. You identify your core players and retain them. You worry about the rest afterwards. You may lose some of the rest, maybe even all! However, you gotta know who your top warriors are and get them signed up.

paceram

Pro Bowler

If it looks like they are going to lose some players they might want to try to trade them so they don't lose them and get nothing in return.

Alan

Legend
Tells you something about what we'll be able to afford in FA.