Rams reset 2015: Fisher rolls dice on Gurley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams reset 2015: Fisher rolls dice on Gurley
By Frank Cooney | NFLDraftScout.com
May 8, 2015 11:45 am ET

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...7/rams-reset-2015-fisher-rolls-dice-on-gurley

It was well-known that St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher is not averse to risk, a necessary trait displayed going all the way back to his days as a USC defensive back.

Also obvious was his affection for running backs, evidenced early and often in his 19 years as a head coach. Eddie George starred on Fisher's Tennessee Titans team that advanced to the Super Bowl in 1999. Then it was Chris Johnson, who rushed for 2,006 yards in 2009. Fisher, too, was a teammate of late, great Chicago Bears running back Walter Payton.

In this year's draft, Fisher was able to both gamble and show his affection for a potential star running back when he rolled the dice in the first round of the draft to take injured Georgia star Todd Gurley.

While Fisher didn't want to compare Gurley to George, who rushed for 10,009 yards and 64 touchdowns in eight seasons with Houston and Tennessee, he did say of Gurley, "He's special, but they're different. They have different running styles. But when the career is all said and done, he can be that guy."

George also believes that. He texted Fisher after the pick, writing, "Congratulations. Great pick."

Gurley becomes the sixth running back on the Rams' roster after the trade of Zac Stacy and marks the fourth consecutive year the Rams have selected a runner in the draft: Isaiah Pead in the second round and Daryl Richardson in the seventh round in 2012, Stacy in the fifth round in 2013 and Tre Mason in the third round last year.

Taking the immensely talented Gurley is a risk because he is rehabbing from a torn ACL in his left knee suffered in the fourth quarter of the Bulldogs' Nov. 15 game against Auburn. That game was his first one after returning from a four-game suspension for accepting more than $3,000 for autographed memorabilia.

Considering only the injury, it was a particularly gutsy move for Fisher to take Gurley because the Rams have been severely impacted by injuries recently, which is why would-be stars like tackle Jake Long and quarterback Sam Bradford are no longer with the team.

Long was released and, in a stunning move, Bradford was traded to the Philadelphia Eagles, who kindly reciprocated by sending quarterback Nick Foles to St. Louis, where he apparently will be on a depth chart that includes Austin Davis, who started eight games last season, Case Keenum (trade from Houston) and rookie Sean Mannion, a surprise third-round pick whose raw abilities showed need for attention at Oregon State.

But, although that is at quarterback, it still is not as risky as spending a No. 10 overall pick on a running back barely able to run at this point.

The Rams were present at Gurley's medical recheck on April 18 at Indianapolis, and Fisher said, "His rehab is coming along fine. We don't know when he's gonna be on the field competitively, but we do know he's not having any issues right now and the docs say he's ahead of schedule."

Gurley, who said he was surprised to be selected by the Rams and didn't visit the team in recent weeks, also echoed Fisher's sentiment, saying, "There is no timetable. I know I have a lot of work to do. But opening day is a realistic goal."

Said Fisher, when asked if Gurley could be playing at the beginning of the regular season, "There's always that possibility, but we're not going to be specific as to when. I will tell you this: we're not going to rush it. We may be a little on the conservative side. This is our running back of the future, so it makes no sense to subject him; to put him in a bad situation sooner than we have to. We've got outstanding backs on our roster and he's going to add to that group. When that happens we don't know, but he's going to be the running back of the future for a number of years."

Despite the selection of four offensive linemen among their nine picks, Fisher said they remain interested in re-signing unrestricted free-agent right tackle Joe Barksdale, their starter last year who thought his value in the market was much higher than reality.

Mannion was the fourth quarterback selected in the draft after Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota and Garrett Grayson. He was one of several quarterbacks the Rams worked out in the week before the draft, and general manager Les Snead said that private session was "what solidified him for us."

Fisher cited Mannion's understanding of terminology, of defenses, and decision-making.

"We sent some information, let him study the night before," Fisher said. "We talked about it the next day and he had it down. He's exceptionally smart. Again, I think the thing that I was most impressed with was his ability to make every throw; the different touches, the deep balls, the shorter throws and then the footwork. I thought his footwork in the pocket and getting out of the pocket was much better than I saw on tape. He had a great Pro Day and he had a great workout for us."

Draft analysts said Mannion's weaknesses include his slow feet and delivery. Mannion knew that and worked on those things with quarterbacks coach Jordan Palmer, the brother of Arizona Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer.

"I know one thing that I really tried to focus on after the end of my season was really sharpening up my footwork and really cleaning that stuff up," Mannion said. "I was able to kind of show that at the Senior Bowl and at the combine and at my Pro Day. A lot of it was really positive feedback about how they'd seen I made improvements in those areas."

Mannion was asked if improving his footwork helped speed up his release.

"I definitely think so," he responded. "I think footwork is something that can help a lot of areas of your game. Obviously, quickening my release is something that I had been wanting to do. I think focusing on my footwork and always throwing from the same base in the pocket can really speed up my delivery and get the ball out very fast."

Fisher welcomes the new Rams to a rookie minicamp this weekend, then the organized training activities, aka OTAs, begin June 2. Here is a breakdown of the Rams as they head into 2015:

2014 RECORD: 6-10, 4th in NFC West

COACH: Jeff Fisher
4th season with Rams
20-27-1 overall
20th full season as NFL coach
167-153-1 overall; 5-6 postseason

2015 CAMP SCHEDULE
Rookie minicamp: May 8-9
OTA Workouts: June 2, June 4-5, June 8-9, June 11, June 15-16, June 18-19
Mandatory Minicamp: None

GRADING THE DRAFT -- B
Per Rob Rang, NFLDraftScpout.com
While the Rams already had a solid stable of backs, the addition of Todd Gurley turns an average unit into a potentially extraordinary one. A bulldozer with speed like Gurley complements the trade for quarterback Nick Foles and fits in with the run-heavy approach Jeff Fisher has always preached. While Gurley is an undeniable talent with Pro Bowl potential, the Rams needed to improve along the offensive line to take full advantage and St. Louis certainly tried, dedicating four picks to blockers. Of the group, former Wisconsin right tackle Rob Havenstein and Lousiville's Jamon Brown are the ones to watch, as each possesses the power and nastiness to help the Rams overwhelm opponents at the line of scrimmage. Quarterback Sean Mannion offers some of the same traits (and limitations) as Foles. Of St. Louis' Day Three picks, former Missouri wideout Bud Sasser could be the one to watch as he offers an intriguing blend of size and speed and emerged in 2014.

SCOUTING ALL DRAFT PICKS

--Round 1/10 - Todd Gurley, RB, 6-1, 222, Georgia
The Rams believe he is a transcendent back that will help make their entire team better. The only question in the short term is when he will be available to play as he recovers from a torn ACL. Gurley's explosiveness and big-play ability will go a long way toward improving the Rams' offense.
--Round 2/57 - Rob Havenstein, T, 6-7, 321, Wisconsin
Tied a school record with 54 games played, starting 42 and the final 41 at right tackle over the last three seasons. He helped lead the way for three 1,000-yard rushers: Montee Ball, Melvin Gordon and James White, three of the top five rushers in Wisconsin history. Projects to be a right tackle for the Rams.
--Round 3/72 - Jamon Brown, G/T, 6-4, 323, Louisville
Started 39 games over the last three seasons, playing right tackle in 2012 and left tackle the last two years. Brown went to Louisville as a defensive lineman, but made the switch to the offensive line during his freshman season. He started one game at guard that season. Expect to begin his Rams career as a guard.
--Round 3/89 - Sean Mannion, QB, 6-6, 229, Oregon State
The Pac-12's all-time leading passer, Mannion has excellent size and football smarts. He worked hard during pre-draft workouts to improve his footwork and delivery, so it will be important to see if he reverts to bad habits.
--Round 4/119 - Andrew Donnal, T, 6-6, 313, Iowa
A 2012 torn ACL just when he became a starter as a sophomore sabotaged his 2013 season and kept him from becoming a fulltime starter until last year when he started all 13 games at right tackle. A self-described "blue-collar grinder," Donnal added, "I thoroughly enjoy just playing football, being an offensive lineman and moving the guy from point A to point B against his will. Protecting the quarterback and mauling inside; there's nothing better."
--Round 6/201 - Bud Sasser, WR, 6-2, 210, Missouri
A very productive receiver that doesn't have great speed, but runs good routes and is able to go up and get the ball. Showed that he is a willing blocker.
--Round 6/215 - Cody Wichmann, G, 6-6, 315, Fresno State
Another lineman that plays hard all the time and was called a "self-made guy" by general manager Les Snead. He started 50 games in college, and as head coach Jeff Fisher said, "If someone is in the vicinity, he's going to hit them."
--Round 7/224 - Bryce Hager, LB, 6-1, 234, Baylor
Hager's father Britt played nine seasons in the NFL, including his final year in 1997 with the Rams. Head coach Jeff Fisher was Philadelphia's defensive coordinator in 1989 when he was selected by the Eagles in the third round of the draft. Hager played six seasons for the Eagles and his next two with Denver. Fisher said Bryce is similar to his father in being a "sideline-to sideline" player that plays fast and urgent. Led Baylor last season with 114 tackles in 13 games.
--Round 7/227 - Martin Ifedi, DE, 6-3, 275, Memphis
Ended his college career as the school's all-time leader with 22.5 sacks and also compiled 36 tackles for loss. That sacks total ranked sixth among active NCAA FBS players. A sprained MCL cost him four games at the beginning of the 2014 season, but still had 9.5 sacks in nine games played. Rams defensive line coach Mike Waufle is said to be high on him and likes his upside.

NOTABLE VETERANS ACQUIRED:
--LB Akeem Ayers: UFA Patriots; $6M/2 yrs, $2.75M guaranteed.
--DT Nick Fairley: UFA Lions; $5M/1 yr; $1.5M guaranteed.
--QB Nick Foles (trade Eagles).
--QB Case Keenum (trade Texans).
--T/G Garrett Reynolds: UFA Lions; $2.2M/2 yrs, $249,999 RB guaranteed.

NOTABLE PLAYERS LOST:
--QB Sam Bradford (traded Eagles).
--DT Alex Carrington: UFA Bills; terms unknown.
--QB Shaun Hill: UFA Vikings; $6.5M/2 yrs, $3M guaranteed.
--DT Kendall Langford (released).
--T Jake Long (released/failed physical).
--T/G Mike Person: UFA Falcons; $3.35M/3 yrs, $500,000 SB.
--RB Zac Stacy (traded Jets).
--C Scott Wells (released).

PRE-SEASON PEEK -- Mark that calendar
All times Central
Aug. 14: at Oakland (Fri.), 9:00
Aug. 23: at Tennessee (Sun.), 7:00
Aug. 29: INDIANAPOLIS (Sat.), 7:00
Sept. 3: KANSAS CITY (Thu.),7:00